Feeding paprika?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackwater Farm

Reaction score
I have a friend at the boarding barn I work at that has started feeding her black horse paprika to help darken his "sun-bleached" coat. Have any of you ever heard of this? Do any of you feed paprika? What are the results? I know that the capsaicin in it will make a horse test positive at certain events right? Thanks ya'll!!

I really only see a difference if I start feeding it before they shed, but yes, it does help. It stops sunbleaching and darkens the colors, plus adds a pretty nice shine. My biggies got 2 tbsp a day. And yes, the horse will test positive on a drug test for shows, I've never shown, but I've heard that if you stop feeding it about 2 weeks ahead of time that it won't show up.

I have to say... Horses that are kept out of the sun have the most amazing coats. Supplements are okay, but a good balanced feed program and protecting the coat from sun and urine damage will be far, far more effective. Humans are so drawn to spend money on this and that to supplement.

I have to say... Horses that are kept out of the sun have the most amazing coats. Supplements are okay, but a good balanced feed program and protecting the coat from sun and urine damage will be far, far more effective. Humans are so drawn to spend money on this and that to supplement.
Totally agree. The only thing I feed is hay, a little grain and a little flaxseed. In the winter he gets rice bran as well. Of course, Spanky is mostly white, so I have to worry more about sunburn than sun bleaching :p But with my big horses I experimented with quite a few different supplements.

Last edited by a moderator:
disneyhorse I have to agree with you! The only supplement any of my horses ever get is Sand Clear and that's because we live in an EXTREMELY sandy area. I work on a boarding farm and the supplements I dish out everyday that are not really necessary is insane!

disneyhorse I have to agree with you! The only supplement any of my horses ever get is Sand Clear and that's because we live in an EXTREMELY sandy area. I work on a boarding farm and the supplements I dish out everyday that are not really necessary is insane!
Been there, done that. I've worked at a couple breeding barns as well, and they are just as bad (if not worse) then the boarding facilities I've worked at!

I've never fed paprika, but I do know that when I add BOSS their coats look great! Makes them really shiny and seems to bring out their color.

I understand BOSS is also fattening, so would watch that if your horse is on the hefty side?

I agree, I like a simple feeding program. It seems that society is being brainwashed to spend hundreds on additives, conditioners, supplements, etc.... the 'kill them with kindness' feeding program. Unless you have had your horse tested and KNOW that it is lacking in something enough to need supplements, why would you add stuff to the diet that may cause an imbalance as the horse doesnt need it?

So I stick to the KISS method of feeding and it has always worked for me for almost 40 years now.

I think hay, water, and grain and maybe some vitamins are the only thing horses should have. If you want your horses coat to shine use the vitamin called equipride!!! It is a miracle worker!!!!!

Latest posts

Back