Feeding Oats To Miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Foxhaven, I agree...my mini has done wonderful on the Purina Miniature Horse and Pony. I do add a Purina vitamin and mineral supplement, because she doesn't seem to use the blocks. She loves it and it makes a good mash, when water is added to it. We end up putting in 3 cups of water, in each feeding, to add water into her, this winter. I put 2 cups super warm water in it, then stir, then once it is all breaking down, within seconds, I add another cup of cool water to make it luke warm. She loves it that way. And like you, I am very hesitant to change to something else, when this is working so well. I pay $16 for 50 lbs. here, so to me that is reasonable. Wish I could buy our dog food for that price! LOL

Price for Purina is $17 here, pretty reasonable. The local Big R started stocking it. I am fortunate with water this winter, the boys SUCK it down. I have to refill 5 gal. buckets daily for the stallion, every other day for his son and the donkey. Seems like they go through water more in the winter than the summer. They like the salt blocks in winter too...

That's where I get it too...at Big R, in a town next to us. Only 15 mins. from me. They say they don't sell a lot of it, so I pray they continue to carry it. If not, I hope they will be able to order it for me. Since only having one mini, I don't have to buy it but every month and a half to two months. Halo seems to drink more in summer. She will drink around 2-3 gals. in summer, but only one gallon in winter. We started adding more water to her feed, so she is getting over a gallon now and seems to be doing well.

I cut seven back when I decided to stop feeding him grain. With his grass hay, he was too chunky. When I purchased him, he was a tiny thing, and I mean a little on the skinny side. I was told to feed him 1 1/2 lps of hay 2 times daily and he put on weight but he matured to his present size and resembles a tiny qh. I 'm finding it hard to find an amount of hay that satisfies him. I still weight it but I'm feeding him 2 lps or more 2 times daily and a small snack at night in his stall. He doesn't like salt blocks so I guess I will continue with the purina feed if the oats has too much sugar in it. I worry about founder so his grazing on grass is very limited. The last time the vet was here, I questioned his feeding regimen but didn't get much of an answer. I find out more info here than what I got from the vet.

Latest posts

Back