feeding minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gambler

Reaction score
default_laugh.png
I have been giving mine 1/4 flake of alfalfa 2 times a day, plus 1/4 cup of omega fields horseshine with a sprinkle of equus 3 grain mix. (just a sprinkle) with his dinner . it is cold up here at night and will switch to alfalfa/ graa or just grass in the spring. does this sound okay? he is doing great.

Our adult minis get about 2 cups of complete senior pellets 2x a day, 1/4 flake of orchard grass hay 2x a day. The pellets are more or less, depending on each horse but 2 cups is the baseline. Our babies (2007 foals) get more pellets than the others. Doesn't sound like "a lot" but they are all pretty plump right now. The show horses also get ground flax seed from about February - September as a top dressing. All have red mineral blocks and loose minerals. (simple program but I like the results)

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!
default_saludando.gif

It's freezing COLD here too in NE! Mine all get 1 1/2 CUps of beet pulped (measured dry) and then 1 1/2 Cups of Oats mixed together & Soaked and then the get alfalfa (2-3 lbs) a.m. & p.m........ Some of the horses (the broodmares) get grass hay ONLY with thier beet pulp mix..... and I've been giving everyone a little bit of grass hay around noon since it's been so cold....

Well depends on the horse. I feed avena, omolene 200, Equine Juvenile and beet pulp. They also have good quality hay and salt blocks. Just a few examples are below.

KID: Two 1/2 cups beet pulp, 2 cups omolene 200 and a flake of hay twice daily. The beet pulp is soaked.

BOOKER: 1 cup beet pulp and 1 cup omolene 200 and a flake of hay twice daily. Beet pulp is soaked.

FINN: Same as above

JYPSY, BREE AND MYSTEE: one 1/2 cups beet pulp, one 1/2 cups Equine Juvenile and 1 flake hay each.Beet pulp is soaked.

PHANCY AND SAMEERA(Arabs): 1 large butter dish of Avena twice a day and hay in front of them at all times. My brother is taking care of them as they are at my parents place. They are fat.

There are as many different feed programs as there are horse owners; so if what you are doing is working for you than stick with what works.

I feed mine all Progressive Nutrition ProAdvantage grass formula (ration balancer), BOSS, beet pulp and grass hay.

I have mostly B-size minis, they get 1/2# grass formula (two pregnant mares get 3/4#, 31" stallion gets 1/4#), 1 oz BOSS, 1/3# beet pulp pellets (dry measured then soaked), and nearly free choice grass hay. [i do use a cup to scoop their feed, but know all the weights of their hard feeds; hay is nearly free choice, so not weighed in winter.]

I have been feeding Buckeye Gro N Win mixed with a local complete feed called Horse Quick, but my local buckeye dealer recently had all his buckeye products pulled as he wasnt selling nearly enough. Its been a hectic week trying to put together a whole new program for the show horses.

I'm planning to start them all on Purina Strategy & Boss as soon as i can find a purina dealer near by, maybe later on this summer start mixing in a little beet pulp on a few of the horses as well.

I feed a really soft nice orchard grass/alfalfa mix hay (about 50/50 mixed). I bugged Annette a little yesterday and i think i have the show horses rutine figured out for next season
default_yes.gif

I feed my horses all different for the most part, generally the yearlings get more then say he SR horses.

Unless my SR horses are breeding, in foal or showing they are doing perfectly fine on a quality hay with salt and minerals available 24/7
default_smile.png

I have been feeding Buckeye Gro N Win mixed with a local complete feed called Horse Quick, but my local buckeye dealer recently had all his buckeye products pulled as he wasnt selling nearly enough. Its been a hectic week trying to put together a whole new program for the show horses.

I'm planning to start them all on Purina Strategy & Boss as soon as i can find a purina dealer near by, maybe later on this summer start mixing in a little beet pulp on a few of the horses as well.

I feed a really soft nice orchard grass/alfalfa mix hay (about 50/50 mixed). I bugged Annette a little yesterday and i think i have the show horses rutine figured out for next season
default_yes.gif

I feed my horses all different for the most part, generally the yearlings get more then say he SR horses.

Unless my SR horses are breeding, in foal or showing they are doing perfectly fine on a quality hay with salt and minerals available 24/7
default_smile.png
default_saludando.gif
really interesting to read the replies. i was told by my farrier and a pony person that minis should never get grain. i just felt right giving him a little. thanks for the replies. surprised everyone's program is so different.

I have a 5 month old filly and she gets a cup of SafeChoice, a cup of oats and a little bit of calf manna twice a day. With all of the alfalfa she wants, but she only goes through about a flake every couple days.

There are as many different feed programs as there are horse owners
That sure is the truth!

My horses get soaked Mountain Sunrise Timothy Pellets (1 1/2 cups each) for breakfast, and timothy hay for lunch and for dinner. I also give them a handful of BOSS daily and I also use psyllium.

Liz R.

really interesting to read the replies. i was told by my farrier and a pony person that minis should never get grain. i just felt right giving him a little. thanks for the replies. surprised everyone's program is so different.
You really shouldnt believe everything you hear from everyone. I was browsing on dreamhorse the other day, actually a few weeks back, and i found a add for a yearling that says 'this horse doesnt eat hay as she is a mini'. I emailed them and i found they just put that in the add to get more people to inquire bc of hay prices being so high, if they said the horse didnt eat hay ...more people who didnt know better would come that way. The whole add was desiged to advertise that minis do not eat hay, it was rediculous.

Unless you know there are facts behind the information you get, i would pass over it really.

There are as many different feed programs as there are horse owners
That sure is the truth!

My horses get soaked Mountain Sunrise Timothy Pellets (1 1/2 cups each) for breakfast, and timothy hay for lunch and for dinner. I also give them a handful of BOSS daily and I also use psyllium.

Liz R.
I would love to have access to timothy pellets, but I'm just too far off the beaten path. I've heard good things about Mountain Sunrise products.

I would also love to have timothy or any grass pellets!!!

Does anyone know where they can be found in VA?

I feed everything by weight.

In the morning the two share 1 pound Platform mini horse and pony pellets, 3/4 pound of beet pulp pellets, and 1/2 pound of alfalfa/timothy cubes, and 1/4 pound of vegetable oil. All are soaked in water overnight. If it is really cold they get lunch, for lunch the two share 1/2 pound Platform mini horse/pony pellets, 1/4 pound beet pulp pellets, 1/2 pound alfalfa/timothy cubes and 1/4 pound of oil soaked since breakfast (but this is only if it is really cold). At dinner the gelding gets 1/2 pound of Platform, mare gets 1/4 pound, and they get a 2 pound flake of straw and a 1 1/2 pound flake of grass hay to pick through over night. (I mix the two, they don;t actually eat the straw, it just slows down how fast they eat the hay). Like I said most of that is just split pretty evenly between the two, aside from their separate dinners of pellets.

I think next year I am just going to stock up on hay early in the year and just have them on the platform and hay, I've fed the BP and alfalfa/timothy cubes for years now because of my old Shetland who passed away over a year ago. It was the only thing that kept weight on him. But the habit seems to have died hard. It just "feels right" for me to feed it, but I really want them just on hay and pellets for next year.

I would also love to have timothy or any grass pellets!!!

Does anyone know where they can be found in VA?
Jill,

This isn't very helpful, but two companies use Mountain Sunrise products in their products, and one is in PA, so perhaps you can contact them. Mountain Sunrise website also states that many Nutrena dealers can get their products. http://www.mountainsunrise.com/others.html

Another one to check with would be Ontario Dehy, they are Canadian based, but have some distributors in the states: http://www.ontariodehy.com/tab01.htm They have been very good about answering the ton of questions I've asked. [The pellets they make are listed under feed ingredients.]

All of mine get free choice grass hay and an AM and PM feeding of Nutrena Safechoice. And always have access to a mineral/salt block.

Latest posts

Back