Feeding minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VictoriaG

Reaction score
I have owned minis for 6 years now and have always fed them the way i do large horses which i have owned for 10 years now. Have always fed a little grain and lots of forage. I do not show, the minis are pets, they get some work on the line and I have jumped my older one (10) just for fun and because he is so cute the younger one is now being exposed to jumping gradually.

My concern is, I have noticed that mini owners on this forum seem to suggest more grain and less forage. Why? Is there something special about the minis that does not apply to large horses? I have always worked on the idea that they need to "graze" to keep their tummys working the way wild horses do. Am I wrong?

One of my minis tends to have a big tummy, his dam was like this as well. As he has aged (5) I have become more and more convinced that he is a mild dwarf. Really bad conformation but cute as heck.

Advice please......

I do not feed any grain at all in summer, to any of my broodmares. I feed the show horses (who are in) the old stallion and the foals coming up to weaning, and that is all. Everyone is fat shiny and healthy.

Stick to what you know works and you will not go wrong, start messing around trying to do what others say works and you will get in a mess!

That is not to say you do not pick up loads of useful feed tips here, just that, well, if it aten't broked, don't try to fix it!!

Agree with Jane (Rabbitfizz) if it ain't broke, don't fix it! But I have found that minis seems to be harder to keep in good weight and condition than the big horses I have had over the years. The suggestions I have made on here about "more grain. less forage" are for weanlings (or yearlings) which is consistent with their growth needs. If you check the instructions on your feed bags you should see that the recommended feed weight per 100 pounds (or whatever) for youngsters is greater than for mature horses that aren't pregnant or nursing. Grazing is the best thing for most horses (I say most, because one of our minis is insulin resistant). I am convinced being on pasture 24/7 was what kept my riding horse alive for 11 years after he had half his small intestines removed and the surgeon didn't give us much hope.

I've completely dropped feeding all but one of my minis grain during the summer/warm months. They didn't need the extra calories and are not seeming to have any issue without the grain. Depending on how things go this winter, I may even take the approach year round.

I do limit hay/pasture in take in the summer to 1% or so. All 5 of my younger horses are 6 or 7 body score range and I would classify my 4 year old as being nearly an 8. As she's also developed a cresty neck, she is no longer getting any pasture. During the winter, I lean toward nearly free feeding them based on conditions (cold/wet/windy/snow storms). I want them to constantly have forage available to keep their "internal heaters" going at the most optimal rate possible.

I should work mine more and when I reduce my 6 to 4 ( by Labor Day it looks like), I hope to be able to do that. I showed two this year in halter only but plan to do more next year (hunter, obstacle, etc.). These are small local club shows not the high end AMHR/AMHA shows like some do.

Finally, my "hard keeper" (you can read more about her under my previous posts for Cha Cha) is the only on getting any grain now. She gets 2lbs of Purina Mini feed and 1lb of rice bran pellets per day (split between two feedings).

I do believe that most horses need more forage than anything else, based on my limited research and understanding of horses. I plan to keep researching and keep reading and who knows what may come? Right now, the way I'm doing things is much easier and simple which works for me. And so far, it works for the horses too.

Very interesting. The breeder I bought my youngest from (I only have the two) felt that they should have more grain less forage, she was breeding and showing sometimes. I thought she was trying for the "ultimate" body look and felt that I should stick to what the big horses did because it seemed to make sense to me. The little guy seems dwarf-like and the more I look at him the more dwarf I see in him. He worried me because i have never been able to get rid of that tummy. Otherwise he is cute, active and a bit of a turd. I love him. I think I will keep feeding the way I am and maybe cut the grain back even more (they get about a cup of a soaked soy hulls flated grain and vits per am and pm feeding) That has been cut back since winter. Thanks, you guys made me feel a bit better about this.

I think a lot of minis lack enough protein in their diets... Big horses too... And that is why you see "grain" being suggested. But the type of grain matters greatly... No one will suggest feeding two pounds of corn or barley... Most people today are looking at commercially prepared grain mixes as nutrition has become more scientific... More protein will build the top line without getting a big old hay belly... Not all minis live out on pasture.

It depends on the horses honestly. I have a yearling shetland colt who is a hard keeper to begin with because he is ALWAYS on the go, and paces in his stall. Its just the bloodline, hes bred to be hot. I had been turning him out after morning feed until about 10pm when I would bring the horses in to feed. What I ran into is that he would eat grass all day, and when he came in at night, would not eat his grain at night' and only about half of his alfalfa hay. For this horse (and to be honest my minis in general) grass doesnt have enough protein to keep them fit. In a matter of a couple weeks, he started looking gangly and was sunken in the flanks, topline was looking line crap and could see his backbone a tad. Nothing alarming, but it would have gotten bad if I continued that routine. I had also put him on a low nsc pelleted feed made by a good company, it was 12% protein which I was slightly concerned with, but figured since he also got straight alfalfa hay, it would balance his protein needs.

Well, Now hes going back to his old 14% protein 6% fat (and this boy eats a little over 1.5 quarts per feeding) along with alfalfa hay, and Im limiting his pasture to two hours per day. He can go in the drylot the rest of the day. He wasnt getting fat from grass, but he was filling up on it and not eating his alfalfa and grain at evening feed, therefor losing weight that he couldnt afford to lose.

Those who feed very little hay do it for show conditioning' but generally if you are feeding the reduced hay, you make up for it with soaked beetpulp, alfalfa cubes, or both. The idea isnt to feed very little forage, but to feed very little baled hay which can cause big bellys. In general my adult horses get 1/2 a flake of hay twice a day if they are drylotted, along with .75-1 quart of grain twice a day. Ill add a picture of a 12 year old gelding that hasnt been sweated, worked, conditioned etc. since his last show in august 2011.

Ive spent a LOT of money and literally years trying different feeds' supplements' and forage choices that different people say are excellent and honestly, when not showing' my horses look best on a simple diet. A "normal" grain (no special low carb, corn free, mini horse etc "special" grains) and half a flake of alfalfa mix hay. Now, when Im showing, yea, I do cut back how much baled hay I feed and I add chopped hay to replace some of the regular hay, but I still feed a signifigant amount of forage. Also, coarse hay will cause a hay belly, so I do make sure to buy super super soft hay, atleast second cut.

I think a lot of minis lack enough protein in their diets... Big horses too... And that is why you see "grain" being suggested. But the type of grain matters greatly... No one will suggest feeding two pounds of corn or barley... Most people today are looking at commercially prepared grain mixes as nutrition has become more scientific... More protein will build the top line without getting a big old hay belly... Not all minis live out on pasture.
This is the problem I've gotten.

Mine were largely in my husband's care for 18 months (I was laid up due to health reasons). All he fed was a high quality grass hay. They looked GREAT. Then, I get back into the game. Grass hay shot up to $20/bale AND my vet warned us that just feeding the hay was very likely heading us into a selenium deficiency. Soooooo... I loaded up the barn with some pretty clean but not incredibly nutritious local grass hay and added a hay balancer (LMF Super Suplement) which just adds the vitamins and minerals but not a bunch of fat or calories. Read about protein needing to be added to counter the hay bellies so am now feeding about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of alfalfa pellets. I try to leave enough of this grass out that they can munch on it all day if they want to because otherwise, they chew the barn and the trees.

My driving mare now looks like a baloon!!! And barely fits between the shafts of my cart. My middle sized mare has some dwarf characteristics and is already getting cresty and also has a big ole belly.
default_sad.png
This is driving me nuts. They are all on a regular worming schedule and are getting out for a good long trot 3 times a week. The rest of the time, they are kept in a 2 1/2 acre dry lot with run in doors to shelter.

It depends on the horses honestly. I have a yearling shetland colt who is a hard keeper to begin with because he is ALWAYS on the go, and paces in his stall. Its just the bloodline, hes bred to be hot. I had been turning him out after morning feed until about 10pm when I would bring the horses in to feed. What I ran into is that he would eat grass all day, and when he came in at night, would not eat his grain at night' and only about half of his alfalfa hay. For this horse (and to be honest my minis in general) grass doesnt have enough protein to keep them fit. In a matter of a couple weeks, he started looking gangly and was sunken in the flanks, topline was looking line crap and could see his backbone a tad. Nothing alarming, but it would have gotten bad if I continued that routine. I had also put him on a low nsc pelleted feed made by a good company, it was 12% protein which I was slightly concerned with, but figured since he also got straight alfalfa hay, it would balance his protein needs.

Well, Now hes going back to his old 14% protein 6% fat (and this boy eats a little over 1.5 quarts per feeding) along with alfalfa hay, and Im limiting his pasture to two hours per day. He can go in the drylot the rest of the day. He wasnt getting fat from grass, but he was filling up on it and not eating his alfalfa and grain at evening feed, therefor losing weight that he couldnt afford to lose.

Those who feed very little hay do it for show conditioning' but generally if you are feeding the reduced hay, you make up for it with soaked beetpulp, alfalfa cubes, or both. The idea isnt to feed very little forage, but to feed very little baled hay which can cause big bellys. In general my adult horses get 1/2 a flake of hay twice a day if they are drylotted, along with .75-1 quart of grain twice a day. Ill add a picture of a 12 year old gelding that hasnt been sweated, worked, conditioned etc. since his last show in august 2011.

Ive spent a LOT of money and literally years trying different feeds' supplements' and forage choices that different people say are excellent and honestly, when not showing' my horses look best on a simple diet. A "normal" grain (no special low carb, corn free, mini horse etc "special" grains) and half a flake of alfalfa mix hay. Now, when Im showing, yea, I do cut back how much baled hay I feed and I add chopped hay to replace some of the regular hay, but I still feed a signifigant amount of forage. Also, coarse hay will cause a hay belly, so I do make sure to buy super super soft hay, atleast second cut.
Well, that explains a lot. So, I have a barn full of hay that is turning my minis into Macy's Day Parade floats!!!

I really need some help determining how much of what to add then. I will keep them on the alfalfa and the balancer, reduce the hay... should I then UP the pellets? I have been distributing the hay in a way that mimics grazing for them. They waste a lot of it and don't eat the stems. I don't want them bored. But I also don't want them bloaty!

Is everyone feeding pelleted feed? I have been feeding flatted barley and oats. All my horses are on it except for one hard keeper who is older and is on a senior feed. How much protein should a mini gelding, not worked a lot, age 5 and 9, no showing, be getting???

At the beginning it was always grain grain grain! Over a year ago I attended a nutrition seminar by ADM and have completely changed my mind, how it should be forage first and grain as a supplement. So I completely redid my feeding program especially after my mini stopped eating the purina mini feed, and now feed Glo line feeds by ADM. 2 of my 4 horses need grain and all of these are show horses. The reason I like the Glo feeds is you don't have to fee a lot to it without sacrificing the amount of hay.

For your minis that are light workers and not high in calories I'd go with the PrimeGLO. My guy is getting .4 of a lb of grain a day and 4 lbs of orchard grass a day. That's for Maintenance, but he is a easy keeper even tho he is getting conditioned to show he looks great. It's 14% protein, and 8% fat. I'll be very curious to compare him at Nationals this year vs last year with the different feeds.

They also have a product called SeniorGLO and its a great product for just about anyone who needs a little extra boost. It's also 14% protein and 8% fat.

Mine who aren't getting any grain still get 4 lbs of orchard grass hay and also get free choice MoorMan's GroStrong minerals

Oh and these products are pellet feed, not a fan of the sweet feeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
We do not use "grains" as in sweet feeds here, with the exception of one of our mares WHEN she is close to due and nursing. We do, however, use complete pellets as the foundation of our feed program, and really have for some time. Right now, we feed pellets (depending on the horse either low starch, adult, or senior) 2x a day and soft, orchard grass or orchard grass x timothy mix 1x a day. I feel the pellets give us good consistency to our feed program, and there is extremely little waste.

I agree with no grain unless the horse is really being worked hard daily. I have had several vets tell me this. Also, I would watch how much and what kind of hay you are feeding to avoid obesity from that too. I feed primarily alfalfa hay, and do not free feed it- I feed it in the amounts suggested for the poundage of the horse. My horses stay in great shape, no hay bellies and do just fine with no grain. We do not have pasture and have a difficult time getting ANY decent grass hay here at all.

Latest posts

Back