Feeding good haylege

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had really good info on feeding haylege to miniatures. We have a mixture of swedish warmbloods, throughbreds, standardbreds, and 9 miniatures so having lots of good hay is essential. We have the opportunity to get some really good haylege - it is actually beautiful hay once opened and I wondered if anyone has experience feeding this to their horses or can tell me any facts they may know about it. Thank you.

We do not feed haylege to our minis but I know of several with big horses that do feed haylege and have for years. They have to be very carfull with mold and spoilage. They also have cattle so the lower quality goes to cattle. I'm not sure if it work for minis at all. We put up some very nice haylege for our cattle but have enough dry hay so never thought about feeding minis.

I'm sure there will be many that will not recommend feeding to minis. In your area your vets might have more experiance with horses and haylege. Everyone we know in Nova Scotia puts up lots more haylege than dry hay.

Good luck

Back