Feeding 4yo stud

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurarfl

Reaction score
I did a lot of reading and researching before bringing home my mini, but now I suddenly feel like I don't know what to feed. I have a 4yo stud who will be gelded Oct/Nov. He has a good sized belly, but you can see his ribs when he moves and feel them easily.

Each day he gets 1/4lb Triple Crown 30% Ration Balancer, a little less than 1/4lb Triple Crown Senior, 3 mini alfalfa cubes, a flake of grass hay, and 4-5 hours of pasture turnout on short grass. I started him on Sand Clear two days ago, and he is getting Strongid today, added in to the regular rotation.

For more experienced keepers, how does this feeding plan sound?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Laura

Tank072016.jpg

Your little guy looks appy and roan, and often that coloration can make things look deceiving. It can often LOOK like the ribs are showing when actually, they keep a little heavier coloring over the bone in that area. He may need to be conditioned more than anything. Limited grass/hay (which is probably a major cause of the big belly) and also you can check him for worms and de-worm as needed. NO QUEST!!

Welcome to the Forum Laura,

How much does he weigh ? And my other question is when was he last wormed ?

Dont use Quest as Mona mentioned, but next time you worm him look at worming him with a broad spectrum worming paste. He may also need his teeth done.

He certainly doesnt look underweight but he looks to need some condition across his top line. Id also consider a mineral block also.

What exercise is he currently getting ?

hes a nice boy , im sure your going to have heaps of fun with him
default_smile.png

Ryan

I don't know when he was wormed by the previous owner, perhaps not at all (she had him for about 6-7 months). I just gave him Strongid yesterday. I also have a Panacur Power Pak and thought about doing the 5 day regime with him. I also have all the materials to do a fecal egg check.

He wasn't on a formal exercise program at his previous home and I haven't started him here yet. I work with him on hand leading. My plans are to start him with round penning very soon. How much time to start? Should I start with 5 minutes and add 5 min each week to build him up?

Does the amount of food sound right or is he getting too much forage?

He is a nice little guy, thanks.
default_smile.png
He nipped me the other day and gets into studdish behavior around my full size geldings through the fence. I'm looking forward to gelding him. He is unpapered and no reason to add to the population.

Laura

With my pellets a 1/4 lb. would be like 3/4 cup is that about right with yours? With "short pasture" the amount of forage sounds good. Your whole feed regimen sounds good to me but time will tell if that will work for him.

He looks a little too heavy to me, course one photo may not be a true representation of his body condition. How long have you had him?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, 1/4 lb is about 1/2-3/4 of a cup.

He looks too heavy to me as well. But then when he turns or holds up his tummy in a trot you can see the outline of his ribs along his side. He's my first mini so I'm not sure if the ribs showing at all are normal or not. I've only had him for a week. I'm used to my hard keeping larger horses that need to be fed so much and the idea that horses need to eat forage almost continuously.

Forage is number one with me so if he can handle that pasture time then it and the ration balancer is perfect. Many Miniature Horses can't handle pasture, some are air ferns.

That's not too bad, but probably just a bit more than you want to show.

Up forage a little bit and see what it does.

Stemmy, low quality hay can lead to a "pot belly" appearance, as it is all fiber with little protein for nutritional benefit so their belly gets bloated but ribs stick out from lack of muscleing due to poor nutrition. Even on nice looking hay, if they are not getting enough protein or fat in the ration, their ribs may stick out too much, even if they have a big belly, they can look skinny. I have two who do this in the winter when I give extra hay for warmth but exercise less due to the cold and snow. They look fat but bony on top. I have to up the grain to 16% and lunge over poles to build their muscle. I also agree with de worming. If you run a fecal egg count you can get a better idea of what you are up against. He may be in need of dental attention as well. He is cute, I like his coloring.

Back