Feed, supplements & exercise

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I will be bringing home my new addition home very soon....hopefully within a week or so.....and I already know that come february my shows will be starting so that gives me about 4 months to teach him halter manners and have him ready for the show.

What I am wondering is what supplements are really going to help boost his muscle mass and help his coat really shine? He's in good condition now weight wise but has a hay/pot belly (free of worms but has been only fed hay no grain) so as soon as he arrives he will be put on strategy gx and amplify supplement.....also he will be stalled at night and turned out all day but what kind of in hand or at liberty work could I do to really boost his muscle?

I don't want to work him hard and put strain on his body so I know free style exercise is best but would like to know how you get your babies to really bloom for the show ring.

Thanks so much!

I keep things really simple with my youngsters. A good, well rounded diet with a feed and/or supplement suitable for a young growing horse (I won't suggest brands due to being on the other side of the world!) with well managed roughage to avoid the hay gut but still satisfy needs.

I don't work anything under 2. They get their work from their turnout and playing with each other but I do not lunge them or trot them out.

At 2 I'll introduce some free/liberty work (minimal) and some trot work but won't do a full workout until they are 3.

This is my personal choice and I'm aware some people see it differently but for me, I really don't like working babies.

I keep things really simple with my youngsters. A good, well rounded diet with a feed and/or supplement suitable for a young growing horse (I won't suggest brands due to being on the other side of the world!) with well managed roughage to avoid the hay gut but still satisfy needs.

I don't work anything under 2. They get their work from their turnout and playing with each other but I do not lunge them or trot them out.

At 2 I'll introduce some free/liberty work (minimal) and some trot work but won't do a full workout until they are 3.

This is my personal choice and I'm aware some people see it differently but for me, I really don't like working babies.
I like your thinking
default_aktion033.gif

Tybee Bee, you mentioned muscle mass ...and maybe Im misunderstanding you but I cant imagine a youngster having much "muscle mass" even when they are in top condition at age 1. Maybe when I think of muscle mass Im thinking too much Quarter Horse muscle...and IMO a mini will never have it at any age. And I would think that a judge would be judging a youngster alot different than say a 4 yr. old. This is only my opinion and the real show people will correct me.

For shine nothing beats the old fashion arm falling off...ready to scream...do it some more.. curry comb!! JMO

By the way, Congratulations on your new little one!! We also love pictures...yes, that was a hint
default_wub.png

Don't worry, I wasn't accusing you. You make it very clear in your post your looking for 'soft' work for him. Just expressing that the only work my yearling gets is hooning with his mates
default_laugh.png

Thanks guys for the input.....I'm just trying to give him the best feeding, supplement and exercise plan that I can to help him do his best. He already has a nice hip on him and his conformation/how he's put together is rather nice I just want to help him bloom =)

I was thinking of putting him on Grow Colt at the very least....anything else that works nicely?

My show babies are turned out to pasture 24/7. I put them on a diet of Alfalfa pellets some seminole senior feed and flax seed. For exercise i find that if you take out one driving horse in the pasture with the babie loose the baby will follow and run ahead and race back. If that isnt an option you can play follow the leader games or just put them on the lead and take them for a walk down the road. Which will get them use to all kinds of scary things. Good exercise for you too.

For supplements goes I found this product called Karbo Combo, its suppose to really boost their immune system and bring out the best of your horse, including a shiny coat. I personally haven't used it, I was told to use this when I was asking about getting a shiny coat, but will use it next year. It just looks like a good all around supplement.

I personally would not use any muscle building or growing supplement, I think at such a young age I would let them mature naturally, otherwise I think you are just asking for trouble.

Now I may be the only one that suggest this but instead of figuring out a exercise program, why not a training program? Teach him pivots, backing up, work in the round pen, lounge, yes I said lounge. Work on blanketing him up, clipping, etc... Just something to work his mind, it will also help put on some muscle. Now you need to do this type of training in moderation when it comes to the young ones, but IMO I think its best to start teaching these things to them early and once they are older they will be so much easier to train and he will respond better at shows also.

Do NOT longe a horse under 2 or 3 years of age. It's very hard on their joints and can cause a lot of problems down the road....

They only "work out" my yearling gets is his ball, I limit it to a 30 minutes a day at the most (he would go on until he flops)

I also agree with Heidi about elbow grease being a great way to make them shine and it also helps with muscle toning. As JMS said, metal workouts are very good and will help them in the show ring. lots off fun whilst training them to be clipped bathed, groomed etc I try to show my boy something new each day. I have to sons that help me with that as each day the come to the barn with me and bring noisy toys
closedeyes.gif

JMS, Karbo Combo is a great product. I haven't used it specifically to get a shine but I've used it on horses who weren't healthy for one reason or another. It does boost the immune system and generally seems to improve overall health.

My show horses, and sometimes mares in foal and youngsters get Platinum Performance. My vet originally recommended it years ago, and I think it's one of the best all around supplements. They make a line of products for specific needs as well. I like Body Builder as well, stimulates appetite and really puts a bloom on them.

Jan

I free lounge my yearlings in a large 60 foot round pen. I don't do anything more than a trot and it is usually for just 6 minutes to teach then voice commands. Nothing strenuous in any way and I like to do two at a time so they think of it as fun.

I rely on a great feeding program for bloom and muscling. I feed free choice alfalfa/grass hay along with omelene 300, oats, and some oil. The oil is great for the coats and helps with topline. Sometimes i'll add some beet pulp too. It sounds like a lot of food, but my yearlings usually look very mature for their age and don't get fat, but are fairly fit and trim just on their own.

Although I never "work" anything under two years old I recognise that when a youngster is stalled, clipped and blanketed up to the eyes, not to mention fed so he is popping out of his skin, sometimes the weather does not allow him to be turned out, however well he is covered up!! At these times I put my boys in the round pen, together, and stay in there with a lunge whip to mediate, They run and turn and play and kick and bite (hence the mediation) and I need do very little except tell them off occasionally. I take advantage of these times to teach them to turn on command, stop, stand and even to trot and canter on command (they listen far more after they have finished blasting round) Whenever it is feasible, however, I make sure they go out in the field and have a really good free time- it is hard for young animals, especially yearling colts, with more hormones than brains, to behave acceptedly when as full of joie de vivre as mine always are (courtesy of good grub!)

So, freedom + little discipline is really all that is needed for the first two years. After that, irrespective of whether or not they are going to be harness trained, they get harness training ground work. It is a brilliant routine for any young horse, and a good solid stand is essential, so it can only do good.

Body Builder by Equiade is by far the best supplement for putting bloom on a horse. Even other Gamma Oryzanol products dont compare. Yes, initially it is pricey, but you use a very tiny amount of it. The bottle lasts a big horse two months, it would last a mini at least 8. Shop around for the best price, you can sometimes find it for around $70 on sale.

As far as exercise, do you have any other foals or yearlings? If so, turn them out together, they will rough house and play, and pretty much condition themselves. Can you take him on walks? When I was fitting a baby I used to take him on a trail walk almost daily. Not only is it exercise on varying terrain, it is good for their mental health. They get used to seeing and walking over different plants and trees, through puddles, seeing wildlife, etc. all of which is good for their mental well being. Small hills will help build their muscles without overdoing it. I always hate seeing show horses who go berserk at normal daily life things simply because they aren't accustomed to being outside of a stall/barn.

As a weanling I fed Equine Jr, as a yearling I fed strategy, alfalfa mix hay, soaked beet pulp, and body builder.

Latest posts

Back