Feed Storage?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I was wondering how everyone stores their feed?

I currently leave it in its bags, and store the bags in an old chest deep freezer thats broken. Right now I have two horses, but each one is on a different feed. Im switching them both to the same thing, though. Ive considered switching to an upright bin system to save a lot of room in my small tack/feed room, but its plastic and im worried about rodents getting into it. I havent had rodent issues yet, but expect that I will probably get some in the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep mine in large rubber/plastic garbage cans with lids. The lids fit snug so no mice can climb in they are too thick for them to try to chew thro so they remain rodent proof. That said, we have no rats here which would be able to chew thro the heavier material and if squirrels got at them they could probably do some damage also. If I for some reason couldn't use the cans I do I'd switch to metal garbage cans. Nothing chews thro those lol.

My hubby made me stainless steel bins with sliding lids, they have wheels so I can move them to clean.

I use a chest freezer, as you do, but a word of warning- do not put anything wet or slightest bit of damp anywhere near it- it will sweat like anything. Then all you have is a load of mouldy feed!

I also use a big wheelie bin- so far it has been impervious to rats, they can't climb up it to get in and it has a lid you could secure if you wanted.

It takes three and a half 56lb bags of feed (I open it and pour it in) and I am still using fresh crushed barley form this time last year that I kept in it!

I bought metal trash cans from Home Depot early on. I think they were $16 or $17? Each one can hold up to 100lbs of feed (2 bags). This deals with rodents (they can't chew through metal like they can plastic). We also use bungie cords on the lid, looping through the handles on the sides of the can and the middle of the lid to keep the lid from being pried open, by both rodents and horses!! This was put to the test once or twice so far when I didn't shut the tack room door completely and found a horse or two nosing around the tack room a couple of hours later.

I also try to keep them at least 1/4 full because that weighs them down so they can't be knocked over.

I store my grain in plastic garbage cans with tight fitting covers and have never had a rodent problem. Maybe that is because of all the rat poison I put around (we have no dogs or outdoor cats).

IMO, the MAIN thing to consider when storing grain is putting it somewhere the horses cannot get into into it - even if they get loose. Ours is where the horses would have to first get out of their pasture and then open a large (latched) sliding barn door that I can barely open. And if they did get out, eating grass would be the first thing on their minds!

I leave my feed in the bags and use mostly Rubbermaid garbage cans to put open bags in. I really like the rectangular cans as they neatly hold two bags of feed.. [The only bad thing... To get two bags into the cans, I have to lay the can on its side, load the two bags (unopened at the time), then tip the can back upright. Otherwise, all the feed of the first bag is at the bottom, and the second bag is more towards the top, so hard to access both bags at the same time.] So far, I've not had mice problems in my current feed room, but perhaps it helps that I feed several barn cats in there twice a day, and occassionally, one will get locked in overnight (so I also have a litter box in there, just in case).

My 55 gallon plastic container

http://www.freewebs.com/rainbarrels/220L%20plastic%20rain%20barrel.jpg

was originally sold as a rain barrel, but once I got it home I decided it would make the perfect grain storage. It has a two-part screw-on lid plus gasket, sealing out critters and moisture, and are as horse-proof as any grain safe.

Mine has a spigot, which obviously is unnecessary for grain. They are food quality, but I keep everything (feed, beet pulp and BOSS) in their bags and just set them inside. You can get these minus the spigots for $10-15 at urban farm/garden stores, probably for even less from a bulk food company.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got these and have been very happy with them:

http://www.amazon.com/Vittles-Vault-Stackable-60-pounds/dp/B0002ZS3XY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1315622091&sr=8-10

Wouldn't work for storing large amounts of feed, but does hold one full bag easily. Definitely small critter proof, but we did learn that raccoons can figure out how to unscrew the lid.
default_new_shocked.gif
Otherwise they're pretty secure!

Big metal trash cans...leave feed in the bag, drop bag in the trash can, put lid on. Spill some occasionally so that barn cats can lie in wait for the rodents. We have trash cans for horse feed and dog feed. Cat feed and goat feed share one. Horses would have to remove a bolt from a gate, open gate, and step onto a wooden platform floor to get to it. In the past found out a possum was taking the lids off. Caught him at it and got rid of him.

I use large plastic drums that were originally for storing apples or vegetable oil and have been very well cleaned. I've found them pest proof and the lids sit well enough that if a mini is 'helping me' in the tackroom he can't flip the lid off.

I fit about three to four bags of feed in one barrel.

Latest posts

Back