feed question?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby

Reaction score
My yearling gelding is always bloated looking. He gets 2cups of Strategy 14% pellets AM and PM and hay 3 times a day. Is it the grain I'm feeding? His yearling 1/2 sister is fine. He's poopin and peein fine and drinks lots of water, maybe too much.

Lee

What type of hay are you feeding? What is your worming program?

Andrea

'Often' a youngster with a big belly is too thin and needs more concentrate. Also if your hay is very high fiber that will make some belly on even a horse in good weight, but not a bloated look. The bloated look comes, basically, from malnutrition....think of the pictures of malnourished children in the news....skin & bones with big bellies.

Check the feeding directions on your concentrate and weigh your feed so you know that he is getting the recommended amount AND if he is too thin, give him more!

And good for you for recognizing something isn't right and asking questions! :aktion033:

Charlotte

I'm really not sure what type my hay is. I've tried "regular" and fine leafy. I'll ask my hay guy today.

I'm also thinking of changing grain to one of the feeds specifically for minis. He's always liked water alot! Could excessive drinking also cause this? It looks like he's eaten a football sideways if that's a help. Worming is up do date also. He's not mopey or looks like he's in pain at all.

What and how much should I feed him?

Thanks so much for your input

Lee

Excessive drinking definitely can be a problem. Sometimes it's due to too much protien. Sometimes it's due to boredom.

I did have a mare that drank out of boredom, my vet had me ration her water. BUT I would absolutely not do that without a vet's express instruction!

What does your vet think about his weight/health/diet?

Andrea

Back