Feed question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandee

Reaction score
I'm asking this for someone in our mini club. She says her mini is "wasting hay" or at least not eating what she has. She'd like to know if Dynasy Pride by Kent (a complete pelleted feed) is acceptable for minis and could it be used to replace some of the hay she feeds? Has anyone ever used this product?

Hi Sandee!

I can't help with that particular question about the feed , however I will bump this up so maybe someone sees it. :bgrin

I would also like to know about this brand I am in WI also and never herd of this feed?I wonder if it like Purina Complete Feed products?
default_unsure.png
:

(BUMP)

Jeri

If the horse is wasting hay it is simply getting to much. My minis all get different amounts.

My show gelding and my stallion(who are pastured together) get 1 flake of grass hay morning and night. They get 1 cup of Omolene 100 each feeding as well. If anything they are a little fat.

Personally a adult mini I typically do not give more then a half a flake a feeding to. Unless they are the broodmares, they are getting about 3-4 flakes per feeding for 3 horses. They are also not fat.

I would like to find a complete feed also d/t the fact that hay is running short here in my area the man I got hay from pasted away and now having problems finding good hay for my minis. Anything that I can or could do to help strecth the hay would be great I know we are out to get some bad weather before it's over with just rain now but snow will get us sooner or later, Thanks for any advice

Possibly a dumb question, but is this person sure their hay is "good"? A healthy horse does tend to avoid eating hay that is off. I wasn't sure from the post if the mini was getting quite a bit of hay and wasting, or was really avoiding any of the hay it was being given. If it's avoiding any hay it's being given, the hay could be bad, or the horse could have trouble chewing it for some reason if there are dental issues or an off bite.

And sorry, don't have any knowledge of that complete feed. I personally use soaked beet pulp as part of the way I supplement my hay (though my horses also get a different kind of complete feed). Beet pulp is digested in much the same way as hay, it doesn't take up a lot of space, and it's relatively affordable (especially with minis).

Sorry, I can't answer most of your questions. I don't really know the woman nor her horse. All I know is what she told me on the phone. Her horse is in good shape perhaps even a bit fat. They replanted their pasture this past year including some rye in it and it seems the horse prefers to eat the pasture instead of his hay.

This time of year most of the pasture would be dry and brown like hay(this is my opinion).

My own horses love to get outside but aren't getting much nutrition from our pasture. For my own reasons mine can't stay outside long and they eat hay and beet pulp and supplement. I don't know what to tell this lady that would help her.

They replanted their pasture this past year including some rye in it and it seems the horse prefers to eat the pasture instead of his hay.
Rye can be a very good source of winter feed and has decent nutrition late into the season. If you are having a fairly open or mild winter, the rye may still be fairly nutritious; so the horse just perfers the pasture to dry hay.

If the horse is a bit chubby, he may be getting plenty of fiber and nutrition out of the pasture. May just need a good vitamin/mineral supplement, if that.

My horses that are still on pasture are not eating any hay at all.

They are chowing down on their feed as if starving but do not want the hay at all.

Latest posts

Back