feed bags for miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKG miniatures

Reaction score
Even though I have their teeth done every year, my minis love to dump their feed on the ground. Does anyone have a place I can buy (or a pattern for making) feed bags for them so I don't waste the feed.

I don't have a pattern REO but I did have one at one time for a big horse who was the biggest slobber ever. Most of his feed ended up on the ground so I did try a feed bag. It was a circle on the bottom, made from heavy duty canvas, then a piece of canvas sewed around. There were gromets in both sides which you can get at Hobby Lobby or maybe a hardware store and a flat nylon.piece like a headstall with clips attached to go behind the ears. It was way too deep and went almost up to my horse's eyes. Should have been shorter. They do have to have something like a fence post or a board or something to prop them up on so they can get to the bottom of them. They are quite a nuscience but I was feeding a large amount of feed so I thought it was a good idea at the time but it didn't last long before I got annoyed with it. Only other thing I have to warn you about is at the time I was feeding sweet feed and OMG that thing stunk like you could not believe and it was impossible to get the odor out. Give it a shot and good luck with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed mine on rubber mats that I get at Tractor Supply. They are thinner that regular stall mats and come rolled up. The horses also like to use them for yoga mats, as in lying down and rolling on them and then picking up the edges to look under them. But any feed that is spilled is not lost. I also have one feed pan that can't be dumped - built like a dog dish with a base.

Ditto to Targetsmom..... Rubber mats, even in paddocks are great for feeding on.

It doesn't sound like it's a tooth problem - they just like to dump their feed. If you can't secure their tubs to a wall or fence, you can screw plastic feed tubs to a piece of plywood so they can't tip them over. It's an cheap and easy fix. Like a 2 x 2' piece of plywood.

Since we have mini donkeys, for Christmas I bought a book on Donkeys at Tractor Supply. They have a section on feed bags for small donkeys and a pattern also in the book. Might be a source for you to check out. It was about $20.

Latest posts

Back