Favourite crosses? What bloodlines do you love the combination of?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura&HerMinis

Reaction score
Well I have made a complete 180° from my other post about clippers! I've been doing a ton of research on bloodlines recently, and was wondering which bloodlines everyone loves crossing? For example, I've heard Nighthawk crossed with Billy Idol is amazing. I have a Billy Idol granddaughter and would love to test that theory out! Also American Shetlands lines are welcome here too, as I'm looking into getting a couple AMHR/ASPC mares next spring 😊

Well I would say that first comes deciding what style you want. Each line has different attributes. For example, while some Nighthawks and Billy Idols are very nice I will never have one because of their tendency for low set necks which I do not want for driving.
So, are you wanting mainly halter, a focus on driving or exceptional driving and halter horses?
Pedigree research is one of my favorites and I've talked to many many breeders about the quirks and tricks for getting the most out of each line. What I like to cross might be completely different from what someone else wants in their herd, and I also know which ones to recommend if someone is looking for a different style. I believe that being consistent toward one style is key to being a successful breeder.

Well I would say that first comes deciding what style you want. Each line has different attributes. For example, while some Nighthawks and Billy Idols are very nice I will never have one because of their tendency for low set necks which I do not want for driving.
So, are you wanting mainly halter, a focus on driving or exceptional driving and halter horses?
Pedigree research is one of my favorites and I've talked to many many breeders about the quirks and tricks for getting the most out of each line. What I like to cross might be completely different from what someone else wants in their herd, and I also know which ones to recommend if someone is looking for a different style. I believe that being consistent toward one style is key to being a successful breeder.
I don't drive, but that doesn't mean someone who buys a horse from me can't drive them 😊 I'm more looking for halter and all around. I've been doing a lot of pedigree research and am finding that my Billy Idol bred mare will probably do well with a Shetland/Shetland blend stallion. She is more of a stock type, but like in the middle of the road type deal.

This was her as a yearling, her neck is higher set than some I've seen but I would still like it a bit higher I think.
IMG_2611.jpg
And this was her last fall, she's turning 6 this year and is currently bred for a May ish foal 😊
IMG_2612.PNG

I'm not going to be a mini breeder. But I've been a warmblood breeder for a goodly amount of time now. For me, bloodlines were of the least interest to me. I want to see the horse, handle the horse and know the strengths and weaknesses of the horse. I bred for sport-horse types. I wanted to see movement - and not the sewing machine movement that was so popular in the dressage ring - well, still is very much. I digress. I bred for adult ammy owners, which is the biggest market. So I needed youngsters with the right temperament to be workable partners, levelheaded, and have movement that was sporty enough without being too much for an AA to sit. Bloodlines were not important. As a matter of fact, I've rarely used "popular" bloodlines in my breeding.
So my suggestion for you is: what are you breeding for, what purpose? As Edelweiss said, she won't use certain lines because of the conformation traits they tend to produce and her purpose is to produce driving animals. After the conformation to purpose comes disposition. Are the parents bitey little a$$holes? Or are they the kind of littles that you can trust with your children all day? At least that's my 2 cents.

I don't drive, but that doesn't mean someone who buys a horse from me can't drive them 😊 I'm more looking for halter and all around. I've been doing a lot of pedigree research and am finding that my Billy Idol bred mare will probably do well with a Shetland/Shetland blend stallion. She is more of a stock type, but like in the middle of the road type deal.

This was her as a yearling, her neck is higher set than some I've seen but I would still like it a bit higher I think.
View attachment 51081
And this was her last fall, she's turning 6 this year and is currently bred for a May ish foal 😊
View attachment 51082
It sounds like you are looking for halter style and the good mind for an all around horse. There are quite a few lines that have that. The good mind part is what makes it a little more intricate. That's not the kind of thing you can see on paper, but learn by talking to others and dealing with the horses themselves.

There are two routes you could take with breeding your mare. They would each involve different lines.

PM if you would like detailed info. I don't want to make it seem like I'm knocking someone's lines. They all have their own purpose, but some have a few more advantages than others.

@Standards Equine Good point however interestingly enough, I put disposition before conformation now, without sacrificing either of course. And I believe it is 99% genetic. So I know what lines have good minds and which ones are simply crazy. Especially with buying babies or broodmares, I find handling doesn't affect their natural dispositions, unless it's extreme e.g. heavily spoiled or abused. But I have bought so many horses sight unseen, sometimes even without more than a headshot now, from my chosen lines and had them all be just as sweet and easy as could be. No more crazies here and it's a wonderful thing! Lol

I'm not going to be a mini breeder. But I've been a warmblood breeder for a goodly amount of time now. For me, bloodlines were of the least interest to me. I want to see the horse, handle the horse and know the strengths and weaknesses of the horse. I bred for sport-horse types. I wanted to see movement - and not the sewing machine movement that was so popular in the dressage ring - well, still is very much. I digress. I bred for adult ammy owners, which is the biggest market. So I needed youngsters with the right temperament to be workable partners, levelheaded, and have movement that was sporty enough without being too much for an AA to sit. Bloodlines were not important. As a matter of fact, I've rarely used "popular" bloodlines in my breeding.
So my suggestion for you is: what are you breeding for, what purpose? As Edelweiss said, she won't use certain lines because of the conformation traits they tend to produce and her purpose is to produce driving animals. After the conformation to purpose comes disposition. Are the parents bitey little a$$holes? Or are they the kind of littles that you can trust with your children all day? At least that's my 2 cents.
All this is good information that I have of course considered, and I'm learning what to look for. Really I was just curious what different people liked crosses of for themselves as I'm doing pedigree research. I definitely believe first and foremost just look at the individual, just was wanting to know what people have liked for their programs as a curiosity :)

It sounds like you are looking for halter style and the good mind for an all around horse. There are quite a few lines that have that. The good mind part is what makes it a little more intricate. That's not the kind of thing you can see on paper, but learn by talking to others and dealing with the horses themselves.

There are two routes you could take with breeding your mare. They would each involve different lines.

PM if you would like detailed info. I don't want to make it seem like I'm knocking someone's lines. They all have their own purpose, but some have a few more advantages than others.

@Standards Equine Good point however interestingly enough, I put disposition before conformation now, without sacrificing either of course. And I believe it is 99% genetic. So I know what lines have good minds and which ones are simply crazy. Especially with buying babies or broodmares, I find handling doesn't affect their natural dispositions, unless it's extreme e.g. heavily spoiled or abused. But I have bought so many horses sight unseen, sometimes even without more than a headshot now, from my chosen lines and had them all be just as sweet and easy as could be. No more crazies here and it's a wonderful thing! Lol
I will PM you, I'm always wanting to learn about lines!! And yes that's pretty much what I'm after, this is my first year breeding so I'm new to this but I am pretty sure that's what I want :)

I tend to believe that "bloodlines" aren't as important as the sire and dam are. If I had a dollar for every horse that someone tried to sell based on a grandparent or great grandparent I could go to nationals this year. But the truth is even a direct son or daughter of a great horse sometimes isn't great. When you are going back to grandparents they could be a carbon copy, but most likely they don't look, move, or act anything like their grandparent.

I tend to believe that "bloodlines" aren't as important as the sire and dam are. If I had a dollar for every horse that someone tried to sell based on a grandparent or great grandparent I could go to nationals this year. But the truth is even a direct son or daughter of a great horse sometimes isn't great. When you are going back to grandparents they could be a carbon copy, but most likely they don't look, move, or act anything like their grandparent.
I definitely realize this! Was just curious mostly about different crosses that people really liked. I am also of the belief that you should look at every horse as an individual, but yeah was more curious than anything about what different people liked in their programs!

I’m not a breeder. As a matter of fact I don’t even have miniature horses, I have donkeys. If I was going to breed by pedigree I’d have to be prejudice and look way back to the ‘80s, and go for Shady Acres stallions on the top. I like the old style “ drafty “ types. Then on the bottom side I’d have to do some more research.

I’m not a breeder. As a matter of fact I don’t even have miniature horses, I have donkeys. If I was going to breed by pedigree I’d have to be prejudice and look way back to the ‘80s, and go for Shady Acres stallions on the top. I like the old style “ drafty “ types. Then on the bottom side I’d have to do some more research.
Gotcha! I guess for sure everyone has different tastes, I like sort of stock but sort of modern, so like middle of the road type deal. I've just heard some things from also the QH industry about what pairs well with what so I was curious what people here thought!

If they are cute, I’ll take em!
If they are crazy, I’ll sell em.
I only have geldings, so I don’t bred em. 😁😁
Haha yeah fair! I'm not much of a gelding person, actually, I only have one. The rest are mares lol I like em somewhat spicy I guess! My first horse was a Welsh/Arab mare, and she could be a little spicy, so I guess that's partly why. Although I had a random confidence drop which caused me to sell her and get a Morgan gelding. Ended up selling him too as he was too forward. Now I only have the minis and have no desire to ride, for the most part. Every once in a while I'll be like, "Hmmm, it might be cool to ride again" and then I remember how scared I was to even handle my gelding and that thought flits away as quickly as it came lol

I am with ya! When the riding thought crosses my mind, I remember how hard the ground is and remind myself I ain’t getting any younger and I don’t bounce back like I use to 🤣🤣
Yes isn’t that right hey?

Latest posts

Back