Favorite products and tools for show grooming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
I'm always looking for new ideas...

Just for starters, I'd like to find a great leave-in conditioner...I don't believe in bathing them too frequently, but would like to get Mingus' tail as rich and fluffy as possible.

Are styling mousses safe on manes and tails, or would it be too drying?

My own two favorite products:

Pink spray (mink oil)

Mingus really doesn't need any additional shine, but I use a light touch of this to emphasize muscle definition, and spray on my hands to wipe on his muzzle...gives a glow without the patent leather look (I don't bald).

Shine

A conditioning pommade for African American hair. I use just a touch of this on his mane, right at the crest. It controls fly-away hairs and accents the shape of his neck with a deep shine.

Other favorites:

Black sharpie felt pen for tiny bits of bleached mane or tail

Black shoe polish for hooves and small touch ups on black points (legs only)

Letraset pantone color markers (available at art stores) in his exact shade to touch up nicks in his coat.

And a new tool I found at (sorry) WalMart:

It's a trimmer sold for trimming people haircuts. It's battery-operated, but is also good for blending in facial clean-ups. I also have a Conair beard trimmer that is perfect for cleaning up muzzle, under jaw and ears. Both fit easily into a pocket, so are always there for last minute details.

So, what's your secret weapon?

Mane and Tail Shine On and Mane and Tail Detangler. I have a huge bottle of each plus a few smaller bottle and am just in love with the stuff. The shine on leaves the horses feeling like silk for almost a week and the detangler gets knots out in a jiffy.

I don't really use a whole lot of anything just because I have found that if the horse is given a good bath and really scrubbed and rinsed, they should only need a few touch-ups here and there. After the bath, I spray Shine On all over the body and then Detangler in the mane/tail, then comb it in. I do that everyday (the week leading up to the show) and again at the show just before entering the ring. Susanne you know what Chip looked like and honestly thats all I did to him.

Erin, I agree that none of it is NECESSARY...and I have to laugh at myself for using the Pink spray, since Mingus really cannot get any shinier than he is naturally (if he were shinier, he'd be a threat to aircraft...). His shine comes from greath genes, great health, and BOSS.

Some of these things are more to please me, and as a basic gearhead I just like knowing what everyone is using.

My boys were really shiny at the last show and I didn't put any topical stuff on them other than Laser Sheen right after I bathed them to repell dirt (of course, I also wrapped them in slinkies and sheets). I think you get a great bloom when you feed them the right stuff. For mine, it's simple -- purina equine adult, soft orchard grass hay, and some flax seed. I was proud of how good they did at halter and then Bacardi won color out of 15 or so entries (A's and B's combined). He just has fabulous color and BLOOM!

Isn't that a great feeling -- to see that good nutrition coming out in their coats? I remember when we first adopted Mingus...even though he was well on his way back to total health (after being terribly neglected), his coat was still dull and rough.

I opted out of the color class at our upcoming show...the arena is very dark, and last year the winners were all glow in the dark cremello, buckskin and other light colors. Of course, he was also a real jerk at that show, but if we enter a color class, I want the judge to be able to see him!

But as for my other question, does anyone have a good leave-in conditioner?

I don't prefer leave-in conditioners because they make the horses' coats sort of gummy.

The closest thing I use to a leave-in conditioner is a product by Micro-Tek that is a Moisturizing Spray. It is Micro-Tek's version of Show Sheen or Laser Sheen but rather than a drying silicone product, it actually is a moisturizer. It DOES seem to leave horses silky and conditioned and shiny... I was skeptical about it repelling dirt and not being gummy but it actually works. I sort of go in-between now... Show Sheen right after the bath to really repel dirt (it really works better than anything) and then the Micro-Tek after they've been groomed for a shiny finish rather than an oil product. Doesn't get those "dirt bunnies" on the coat like the oil sprays do.

Andrea

Susanne, I use "Cowboy Magic"(comes in a gel, which you put on with your hands) for Maggies super long mane. Keeps it from getting tangled, doesn't attract dust or dirt, doesn't dry out her hair at all and is not greasy if you put it on as per the label. Also makes her mane and tail silky soft.

Best stuff I have used to date.
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohh you should not have gotten me started
default_smile.png

For leave in conditioner, what i use it the good old stuff ...Main & Tail. Normally i leave it in there main's and tails after a bath. And since i dont like brushing a dirty tail, because it thins out to much if you do normally i will put some of that cond. in it and put it in a tail bag overnight or for a few hours (just long enough to dry) and then you brush it. Its so silky and shiny, i love it.

Now for show grooming products ...

For the face, i use babyoil on the muzzle and ears (royal has great ears so i like them to show off). Basically anyplace on the face that i want to highlight, i baby oil a cotton ball and put just a bit there. I use the white chalk spray on the star's. I spray some on a cotton ball and dot away. Baby oil is my main product.

My secrete for the hoof's. Black them and then go over the top around the hoof with one of those really fat black markers. I also black the bottom rim of the hoof to. Then before i go into the ring i spray some pepi over the hooves. It doesnt pick up dirt because i do it right before i walk in the ring and it looks nicer then any finishing spray i used last year. I'm also sure to put some of the eye drops in there eyes about 1/2hr before they show so there eyes are bright, alert and shiny. Especially if there huge like Royals, must show them off!

For the body, after the bath i also show sheen them or laser sheen there body (none on mane or tail) and then very lightly go over the sheen with pepi so they get some shine. Then they dry and are blanketed untill the day of the show or show groom time.

I go over the Main and body with Pepi for show grooming before the show. I dont put anything on the tail exept baby oil. I put baby oil in the palm of my hand (little goes a long way) and run my hands down the tail. best thing i've ever used. The spray products thin down the tail to much for me.

Always have to hoof black. Also those equine wipes, i use them the morning of the show over the whole body.

Almost forgot for a very thin tail (like royals) i use my hair mouse. It hasnt done any damage and frankly, i dought it will. Thin tail + Big hip = ugly and tacky in my book!

I'm pretty simple ..baby oil, show sheen, laser sheen, white chalk. Less is more!

There are more but thats basically it.

But as for my other question, does anyone have a good leave-in conditioner?

I have used Healthy Hair Conditioner for many, many years. I don't mix it at 8 to 1 though..I mix it at about 12 parts water to 1 of conditioner, in a spray bottle, just so it is a light pink. I make sure it gets down to the skin.

My pasture pets, retirees, broodmares and show horses all have to-die-for manes, forlocks and tails.
default_yes.gif
: Some have forelocks that go to the end of thier noses. I love that look !

Sue
default_smile.png

I guess I am still "stubborn" (surprise surprise) because this is not something I leave in. However, I have found of all things ThermaSilk conditioner is awesome on manes and tails. I put it in, leave it a few minutes, and thoroughly rinse. I like it over the horse mane and tail conditioners I have tried because it rinses "clean" and leaves the mane and tail silky but not weighed down the way I've found the horse m/t conditioners do. It just gives the hair a texture that is like silk but "fluffy" not heavy. When the mane and tail get heavy from some of the horse m/t conditioners, then their manes and tails do not have the flow / movement that I think looks so nice.

For body shine, I really don't know of anything you can get out of a bottle or a can that does anymore than just highlight what they should already have coming from the inside out.

Just looking at my horses that aren't shown and ONLY eating a tiny bit of Purina Adult and soft orchard grass hay, they all shine like newly minted coins, even the colors that "shouldn't" really have much of a shine still are shining. And, it's not because I do much brushing at all.

One of my friends shows her horses in a natural coat. She swears by a good diet first; second, good grooming; and third, Rio Vista Shampoo and Vetrolin conditioner. Her horses all look great, wonderful shine and soft coats.

We haven't tried the Rio Vista shampoo yet, but the Vetrolin is wonderful stuff. I do like the Quik Color shampoo it really makes the horses color pop.

Vaseline or gel baby oil are wonderful for a shine. We probably have 10 products people have recommended, but we don't use them - some are to harsh. We do use the hair oil spray as a final shine if needed on roans (they always seem very matte finished).

I have tried the chalks for nicks and keep a couple of the multi pack browns eye shadows in our case too, so we can blend if need be. I did buy the spray white chalk, but haven't tried it.

We've also used the fat markers for a neat line around the hoof - just have to make sure and get the black black markers not the ones that go blue or purple sheen black!

Must admit, I never thought of eye drops though!

Well I don't have my mini yet but when I used to show my full sized QH in halter and showmanship classes, I would bathe him,sometimes with color specific shampoos,rinse him really really really good and spray him with ShowSheen.I would condition his tail and mane with Mane N Tail(what a concept lol) and put up his tail in a tail bag,blanket him and put a slinky on him until we got to the show grounds.Then I would put baby oil on his nose and around his awesome eyes,spray a clean washcloth with showsheen and wipe it over him.

I figured since we are talking about conditioners, I would post one of my questions here.
default_yes.gif
:

I have too been looking for a leave in conditioner. Has anyone ever heard of or used "Love That Tail Leave In Conditioner"? Is it any good?

Also, about the fat black markers, what brand do y'all get? Does it come off easily?

I figured since we are talking about conditioners, I would post one of my questions here.
default_yes.gif
:

I have too been looking for a leave in conditioner. Has anyone ever heard of or used "Love That Tail Leave In Conditioner"? Is it any good?

Also, about the fat black markers, what brand do y'all get? Does it come off easily?
here's the link for "Love That Tail Leave In Conditoner"

I might have to look into that once I get back into the swing of showing.

Rio Vista shampoo works really well for me, since Kid is a sorrel and white pinto I use the one special for his red areas, it brings out highlights then use a different shampoo for the rest, an EZ Wash. His coat could be softer and WAY shinier so I am copying and pasting away!

Alyx :saludando:

Latest posts

Back