Favorite Mini Horse Magazine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BanditGal

Reaction score
I was just wondering which magazine you all liked the most: The Journal or Miniature Horse World?
default_smile.png

My favorite is the Miniature Horse World, but a close second is the Miniature World Showcase. This magazine came out of the gate in impressive style, and if she keeps making it better like she has been, it may just end up being the best of the best.

Liz

There used to be a good one called The Miniature Horse Voice. I liked it a lot. They are no longer publishing it.

Robin

The Journal
default_yes.gif
. It showcases both the miniatures and the shetlands, plus i am mostly active in amhr/aspc and i would be lost without my bi-monthly update of what is going on in the home office. The Journal is worth its weight in gold
default_laugh.png

My second would be Miniature Horse Showcase, i really do enjoy that magizine and look forward to it. Miniature Horse World is a good magizine, but the only need i would have for that magazine would be to look at the photos LOL.

There used to be a good one called The Miniature Horse Voice. I liked it a lot. They are no longer publishing it.
Me too! I thought it was the very best of all. The other magazines, as "pretty" as they are, just do not have the content that that little "Voice" did.
default_no.gif
default_sad.png

Me too! I thought it was the very best of all. The other magazines, as "pretty" as they are, just do not have the content that that little "Voice" did.
default_no.gif
default_sad.png
Did the Voice have very informative articles? How were the pics? I love to look at the photos and all but I also would like to read interesting articles on health, training, etc.
default_smile.png

The regisry journals are very important, but limiting IMHO - we are selling to ourselves, but we need our industry news, so these are our vehicles for that.

Some alternatives that actually promote outside of our registry journals for miniatures and ponies -

The Paisley Pony

American Livestock Magazine - this is a publication for diversified livestock, and let me tell you, to get an ad in there you have to be a year ahead for anything decent. They do all around, but have a section that highlights miniature horses.

Those of you that are missing the Voice might well enjoy the Showcase. In my opinion, it feels much like a nicer version of that magazine. Something between World and the Voice as far as feel and content.

The World has some great articles, even if you don't show or own AMHA horses, in my opinion, it is a valuable magazine.

Liz

Miniature Horse World for the pictures
default_wub.png
, Miniature World Showcase for the content. Have to admit, I spend about 5 minutes flipping through the Journal and that's it. I know the Journal does what it is intended to do, which is dispense registry information, but IMO it would be so much better publication if they fattened it a little with some worthwhile articles. The Voice was a good magazine, I enjoyed it and hated to see them fold. Betty is doing a great job with MWS and I think it will just get better.

American Livestock Magazine seems to have fewer and fewer horses represented every year, mostly llamas and other exotics.

Jan

MINIATURE HORSE WORLD is my favorite. It has far more articles of interest to read than the Journal. The Showcase is also very nice.!
default_yes.gif
I truly liked the Voice but when they took my 2 year subscription payment and then went defunct and no money returned, I was upset. Mary

I realize what I want would be difficult but I'd like to see a magazine like Equus that is geared toward miniatures. I don't really think anything we have now is close enough. In fact a lot of the articles that appear in MHW and all are still fact-related to large horses. I guess it just takes too much time or effort or maybe there's not enough research to gear the medical and feed etc. articles down to mini size!

I almost forgot the Paisley Pony :DOH!. AMHR/ASPC has run a few ads in that, i believe little kings farm did around heritage sale time as well? I would have to change my answer and put the paisley pony in right behind the journal
default_smile.png

Leeana

Let's face it, there isn't a mag that does it all. It would be nice, but???? LOL!

Paisley Pony would like to do more with us, but we need to submit more to them.

As far as more equine related articles like Equus - someone has to staff a writer or contract with an inde to do that. That's added expense that they aren't prepared to do IMHO. They would have to raise the price of the magazine. R's is included in the membership fee. A's is an added extra fee.

American Livestock - there isn't much because they are booked 2 years out, they only devote I believe (I remember asking last fall) one issue a year because they are diverse.

Miniature Horse World is my favorite.

Yes, it's a shame that Chris had to stop publishing the Miniature Horse Voice as that was a good one.

Joyce

Do you know why she had to stop publishing it? I recall that there was a plea for renewing subscriptions for more than one year to keep it going, so I sent my money in and then received no more issues!! No explanation or anything...gelt ripped off!
default_sad.png

Miniature Horse World is my favorite.

Yes, it's a shame that Chris had to stop publishing the Miniature Horse Voice as that was a good one.

Joyce

My favorite magazines to look for miniature horse articles in are Carriage Driving World, AmeriCan Carriage Driver, the Whip and Driving Digest, in that order.
default_wub.png
They always present our horses as worthy of respect because so many large horse drivers can't believe how much the minis can do!

muffntuf said:
The regisry journals are very important, but limiting IMHO - we are selling to ourselves, but we need our industry news, so these are our vehicles for that.
Good observation. My favorite mini magazine so far is the Miniature Showcase which isn't outside the industry but certainly aims to appeal to a wider audience of miniature horse owners. I like the graphic design and variety of articles although I think some of the features might benefit from being classed up a bit in their focus. It's neat to see pictures of International farms and shows!

wildoak said:
Have to admit, I spend about 5 minutes flipping through the Journal and that's it. I know the Journal does what it is intended to do, which is dispense registry information, but IMO it would be so much better publication if they fattened it a little with some worthwhile articles.
Exactly. For those of us who could care less about registry news there's very little of value in that magazine besides small black and white pictures. I look at the pictures in detail but then it goes in the recycle bin. I'd cancel it if I could. Miniature Horse World I recall as having good articles and gorgeous pictures but is way too specific to one style of miniature horse use for me to want it. I love to look through other people's copies though! *LOL*

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
wildoak said:
Have to admit, I spend about 5 minutes flipping through the Journal and that's it. I know the Journal does what it is intended to do, which is dispense registry information, but IMO it would be so much better publication if they fattened it a little with some worthwhile articles.
Exactly. For those of us who could care less about registry news there's very little of value in that magazine besides small black and white pictures. I look at the pictures in detail but then it goes in the recycle bin. I'd cancel it if I could. Miniature Horse World I recall as having good articles and gorgeous pictures but is way too specific to one style of miniature horse use for me to want it. I love to look through other people's copies though! *LOL*

Leia
default_yes.gif

I'd also love something more like "EQUUS" or "Horse Illustrated" but geared towards mini horses. I do not show. I have not renewed my membership in any registry because I won't have any work that needs to be done for another year or two (and unless I sell, none after that). The Journal has about 3 minutes of interest to me, and that is checking out ads for tack and equipment. It is very good at what it does, but what it does in no way gives me what I personally am looking for in a magazine. I may check out Miniature Horse World even though mine are AMHR, but since I don't show and honestly don't prefer (though I can appreciate) the refined show horses of today I'm not sure that would appeal to me. *shrug*

I hadn't heard of miniature horse showcase, I should check that out.

Latest posts

Back