Favorite Bloodlines

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lori W

Reaction score
Looking now for my next mini, but confused a bit by all the bloodlines available!

What's your favorite bloodline - whether from long ago (so it may be farther back in the pedigree) or more current?

I know different stallions offer distinct characteristics and the quality of the mare makes a big difference, too. Just wondering what bloodlines you'd pick if you could - or have - built your dream horse!

Thanks!

I honestly can say that I do not have a favorite, there are just way too many outstanding producers out there to have favorites LOL! I can give you a list of some that I have in my bloodlines of my herd and ones that I want but havent gotten yet.

Gold Melody Boy

Wittmaacks Mickey Mouse

Glenns General Patton

Johnstons Super Charger

Boones Little Andy

Boones Little Buckeroo

Flying W Farms Little Blue Boy

Sierra Dawn Unos Pharoah

Alliance Piano Man

Chianti

Orion Light Vant Huttenest

Komokos Little King Supreme

Brewers Orion Sable

Bissel Mounds Monte Carlo (Who I am proud to say is coming to live with me :-D)

Alvadars Double Destiny

Little Kings Buck Echo

Thunders True Copy

I could honestly keep going but these are some of my top favorites that I think of right away.

Just have to take a peek at my website to know some of my favorite bloodlines.

The buckeroo bloodlines are my favorite. (Buck Echo, BTU, Alvadars Double Destiny)

But L&D Scout horses are a close second. Though I don't have alot of Scout in my herd, Scout horses always seem to catch my eye.

I always base my decision on the horse itself first and foremost, then things like color and bloodlines come into play. I am a small farm, established, proven bloodlines are important in my pedigrees, but I will never let that take precedent over the horse's overall balance and conformatiom.

With that said, based on the horse themself and some of their direct offspring, my favorite well known's are

Boones Little Buckeroo

Ltd Magic Man

4Gs Little Kings Alfalfa Pleasure (Hawk)

Cross Country's Call Me Awesome

Hunt House Farms had some beautiful horses too

There are many farms that have some of these bloodline and I drool over there horses, there are other's that have some of the same bloodlines that don't do much for me, it is all based on how the horses in the breeding program compliment one another.

I have two maidens due this year, a Hawk daughter crossed to a Buckeroo son, and a LTD Magic Man daughter crossed to the same Buckeroo Son, I am hoping and praying they will be crosses that compliment one another.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many bloodlines that I like, but I would have to say my two favorites are Buckeroo and Orion Light Vant Huttenest. I usually dont look for a certain bloodline, but it seems a majority of horses that catch my eye are from either or both of those lines. I do have a mare that is Glenns Southern Legend/Lazy N Boogerman/Rowdy that I love. Another mare that is Blue Boy bred(her sire is SG Rangers Nightrain) and she is a really nice mare. I also have a couple horses that go to LTD Magic Man that I really like. I know there are more, but those are the ones I can think of right now.

Oh, I forgot to add I really love the Billy Idol get I have seen, and would love to add something of that bloodline in the future!

Boones Little Buckeroo

Brewers Orion Sable
We have G"kids" of those horses as well and LOVE them!

I agree w/another poster below that i first look @ overall appearance and movement 1st. Unless I was looking for a breeding stallion - if I loved the horse - but didn't love the pedigree I'd still buy it!

Some of my favorites are:

Boones Little Buckeroo

Thunders True Copy

4Gs Little Kings Alfalfa Pleasure (Hawk)

But, as someone else said, its the horse in front of me that is most important. I have a couple in my herd from unknown bloodlines, and they are absolutely awesome in my book.

I guess I would have to say my favorite bloodline is Rowdy because all except one of our minis carries that blood. But more important than a single famous ancestor is the total pedigree (and of course the individual!). We don't want to see any gaps with lots of unknown minis (or known dwarfs) in the pedigree. So all our minis (for breeding) have at least 2 of the following in their pedigree:

Rowdy

Gold Melody Boy (and/or Buckeroo)

Blue Boy

Jefferson Halls Gambler

These include daughters of:

Cross Country Call Me Sir

Cross Country Call Me Awesome

FWF Blue Boys Magic Man

Jefferson Halls Gambler

Ten Ls Spirits Afterglow

Of course they have to be pinto and can't have any app blood (we are pinto purists) so that limits us a bit.

My favorites in my bloodline are:

BTU, Rowdy & Royal MS Candy Man

My absolute FAVORITE bloodline that I tend to prefer is "ROWDY".....

The majority of my mares come from that bloodline through our former stallion "RFM Boogermans Ultimate Warrior" or "To Sir With Loves Boomer" and his sire "Cross Country Call Me Sir" along with "NFC Rowdys Impressive" and I love what they've ALL produced with our stallion "Marystown Cowboy Wild Spirit" who's a "Boones Little Andy" Grandson.

My preference for this particular selection doesn't have so much to do with the bloodline as it does the horse and the "CONFORMATION" "LOOK" and "ATTITUDE" that they all have and produce.

In my herd my fav's come from the Little Wardance/Wardance line and FWF Blue Boys Magic Man(which also has Wardance in the breeding). So I guess I really like Wardance!!
default_smile.png

I should add I really love my Sids Rebel Grand-daughter who crosses really well with my stallion!!

Being relatively new to the miniatures I haven't really developed a favorite. Like many others have already stated if I like what I see and what it produces then the bloodline doesn't matter. With that being said though I have noticed when I see a horse I like and inquire on its bloodlines I tend to be drawn to L & D Scout, Orion Light Vant Huttenest, Rowdy, Gold Melody Boy and newer bloodlines of Little Kings Buck Echo(seen this boy in person and LOVE his attitude and look),Star Skipper,RHA Lotto Locomotion, YP Branch Destinys Doctrine & Winsome Monarch Transition of Power...to name a few...lol Again I think it has more to do with a "look" than bloodline for me and has always been a pet peeve when people put so much emphasis on a bloodline.

Most of our mares carry Buckeroo or Rowdy and they have crossed really well with our main stallion a son of Boones Little Andy..we also have a Boogerman son who has thrown some really nice foals for us
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

I like the Rowdy line,,,and I love the Arenosa line

No doubt here lol for sure ROWDY lol. Mostly through his son Redboy who was IMHO one of the greatest miniature producers ever. I have several Redboy daughters and my favorite horse is my Redboy son Bare who should be having his very first foal this year (excited about that) Bill also bought a Rowdy son this past year NFC Rowdy Reigns Supreme but sorry I LOVE my Bare lol. I also have a blue boy grandson whose foals I will cross with Bare. We also have Roan Ranger, Egyptian King, Yellow Diamond Little Feather, and a granddaughter of Nighthawk. I really love researching bloodlines because I think it gives you some idea of what a horse might produce. Also some lines I would love to add to my herd is LD Scout, Orion, and I'm sure there are others lol just can't think of them now

I feel so honored, that Cross Country Call Me Awesome was mentioned on this thread. I love him too...he's my boy
default_wub.png

So yea, my favorite bloodline is Rowdy.

I don't follow bloodlines, as much as horses. I go by conformation of the horses and what they produce.
default_yes.gif

I love Hemlock Brooks CockRobin, I have 2 of his grandsons!

Nort (Lotto) and Topper (both in my avatar)

I also like YP Branch Destinys Doctrine, (son of Double Destiny) I have a daughter that I adore!

There are MANY that I love & admire! But I'm very smitten with Nort's son

THE POOKA!
default_wub.png
(sorry can't help it!)

website1002012.jpg

Thank you little lady!
default_yes.gif

For older bloodlines you cant beat Winks breeding. They always bred very small shetlands and you see a lot of their breeding in the early Buckeroo lines. Same for Jandts. I remember years ago trying to buy a Jandts Palomino mare. Oh she was stunning and way ahead of her time. So pretty headed and fine boned!

Current bloodlines I love are

Buckeye WCF

Wauk A Way

Ten L

I like the older shetland breeding (well its not really older, but I like to call it the good old stuff)..Its taken me so long to find what I really like.

Queen Anns Jet

Kid Lee

Red Rock Pony Farm, John bred some of the greatest ponies in history imo.

Graham's breeding

Georgetowns Tom Cat

Bullseye

War Whoop

Lee-Land & Royal breeding

There are a lot of other that I like, but these are the ones ranked up there pretty high on my list..I like Bob Masters and JC's breeding as well.

When I was doing the miniatures, prior to going straight shetland, I really liked the Ima Boones Little Buckeroo Too breeding..It was so consistant and easy to spot a BTU bred pony.

I honestly can say that I do not have a favorite, there are just way too many outstanding producers out there to have favorites LOL! I can give you a list of some that I have in my bloodlines of my herd and ones that I want but havent gotten yet.

Gold Melody Boy

Wittmaacks Mickey Mouse

Glenns General Patton

Johnstons Super Charger

Boones Little Andy

Boones Little Buckeroo

Sierra Dawn Unos Pharoah

Alliance Piano Man

Chianti

Komokos Little King Supreme

Brewers Orion Sable

Bissel Mounds Monte Carlo (Who I am proud to say is coming to live with me :-D)

Alvadars Double Destiny

Little Kings Buck Echo

Thunders True Copy

I could honestly keep going but these are some of my top favorites that I think of right away.
What's interesting to me on this post is that most of these "lines" go back to only 3 or 4 original stallions - For example Destiny, Echo, Mickey Mouse and Buckeroo go back to GMB.

My favorite lines are Buckeroo/GMB overall. For pretty heads, loved Blue Boy. Performance Rhoten's Little Dandy.

I am proud to say that most of my herd has Buckeroo on their papers (Grandsire, great grandsire) and Dandy.

This is a fun thread - thanks for starting it.
default_aktion033.gif

Back