Fat or Furry?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just want your opinion on whether Breaker looks overweight or if he is just preparing for winter. I know that I have to feel him to really know, but I'm so new to this that I'm not really sure what he should feel like. I can slightly feel his ribs if I push firmly. I'm just paranoid about him getting too fat. Please feel free to share any pics of your little fuzzy ones too
default_smile.png

IMG_2998.JPG

IMG_3010.JPG

IMG_3001.JPG

He looks great to me Jenny - remember that a little extra fat going into the winter, is no bad thing as it wll help to keep him warm on those really cold days/nights.
default_yes.gif

He mostly just looks fuzzy to me. You're the one who can get your hands on him and feel him. [As long as you can still feel his ribs, he's not too fat, even if you have to push a bit to feel them.] Going into winter and over the winter, I don't worry as much about them being a bit fat as they need it to keep warm. Come later winter/early spring, then I start thinking about maybe needing to adjust their diet.

Nice looking boy! Never trust appearances with a thick winter coat....when I lived in northern Wisconsin, I would take my gloves off once a week and feel each horse's ribs and backbone. Not sure what you should be feeling?? My suggestion is to go to someone who has been at this for a long time, and have them show you what good flesh/fat cover should feel like. However, your guy looks healthy and in almost perfect condition...bright eyed with a healthy looking coat. You do NOT want to put him on a diet going into winter living where you do. He's going to need that in the months ahead. And on those COLD winter days - remember that it is not the grain that keeps a horse warm...don't increase grain - increase the hay.

I know what you mean. This is the first time I have been in charge of my mini's feeding, and I worry I will either make her fat, or not give her enough, and make her skinny, by Spring. She started getting furry, so I was thinking she was getting fat, but I can still feel ribs, if I push a bit and still feel her shoulder and hip bones, but not sticking out by any means. I figure too, if she was super hungry, she will let us know, by her attitude.

I think it is great that you are starting to think of this now, before the coats get any heavier. The error I have seen most is not having a too-fat mini in the spring, but one that is skin and bones once the heavy fur is shed or clipped. I would think that if you use the current "feel" as a guideline, you will be fine. In addition to checking the back and ribs, I would also feel the hip bones. You could also tape the heart girth in a uniform spot, pull the tape tight and use that to tell if the mini is losing weight. If the measurement is increasing they could be gaining weight or fur, but again, I would worry more about losing weight over the winter. And as said above, plan to feed more hay when the weather gets super cold.

Reactions: Tab
I would just say to feel down the body and ribs. That's the easiest way to know for sure from my experience. Camera angles can distort, as can your own eyes when you are looking "down" on the horse. I think just simply feeling is the best way to know.

Sorry but he'd be the thinnest horse in my paddock.
default_poke.gif
Extra cute though. Love his blaze. You could call him Captain Hook.

Last edited by a moderator:
All mine have porked out and I don't mind a bit. They know its time for winter. I press in past the fur also and nope, its fat for sure.

Your boy looks thin compared to mine! (giggles)

Latest posts

Back