Family and Art

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
So does anyone else have parents and or family members dislike your Art?

Right now, I am beyond frustrated. Every time I turn around, my Mom tells me, she doesn't like this Art piece I have done... or that one either.

Can under stand people not understanding my Surreal Sci-Fi stuff....but all of it?

And I do create a wide range of Art.

Congress took 20% of our wages away, and no over time, so times are tight. DH is the only bread earner here.

I used what little commissions I have gotten for the last few months to get

my Dad a Mug and playing cards for his B day.... one of my military fighters... and you know what he said... he will give them to my niece.
Not a Thank you, Not a.. I really like your Art.... just he's going to give them to someone else. I could of used that money,,for I don't know... food for my family.

Like Thanks....

After 7 years, I give up. Should of known better, no matter what I do, it is never good enough.

Anyone else have to go through this?

boyponypug2008Csmall.jpg

nuthatch2007small.jpg

SeaShells12March13small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Alana, your work is amazing. Unfortunately, some people just don't get it. I do a little quilting, far from a professional, but some out there just see a blanket.

This brings up a question for me. When I give something I make to people, do I want them to give it back when/if they tire of it? Or do I prefer they donate it to goodwill or just throw it away?

I hardly ever give anything I make to people any more. I'd rather it just went out into the world to seek its fortune among strangers, and if someone purchases it, it's because he WANTS it. I don't want my creations coming back like rejected homing pigeons.

Shari, your Art is incredible. I'm sure they have no idea how discouraging and hurtful they are being. Did you tell him it hurt your feelings? We get taken by surprise and don't know how to react sometimes.

A crafting friend was making makedo bird pin cushions a few years ago and called them Spotted Killjoys. I can't copy and paste it here, but I can send a Word document to anyone who'd love to read it. It is so true and makes you laugh about it all.

Shari, First I have to say your art is AMAZING!!! If I only had a little bit of that imagination to create like that....

I was going through my stuff yesterday and found a bunch of squares I made but never put them together. I was going to make a quilt for my dad but got discouraged when he saw a quilt of mine a picked it apart. My dad is similar to what you described. One time I bought him front row tickets to a Red Wings game that were right behind the penality box.( now mind you he is a huge Wings fan) He gave them away. I could go on and on with all the times I tried but it was never what he wanted. So I did not even make the blanket in fear it would be discarded.

I just went to this craft show to sell some purses. I made these little jean purses that were very basic and fun. So many people told me how they made them and how my way was not the correct way.( I was surprised at how many people pick your stuff apart at shows!!) You know what, I sold them all!!! And the people who bought them love them!!!

Don't give up or get discouraged! Maybe our families don't understand but there are people out there that do! Keep up the great work!!!

I just went to this craft show to sell some purses. I made these little jean purses that were very basic and fun. So many people told me how they made them and how my way was not the correct way.( I was surprised at how many people pick your stuff apart at shows!!) You know what, I sold them all!!! And the people who bought them love them!!!
My best guess is that those that picked apart your little purses were jealous of your work and were hoping to discourage you so you wouldn't return to future craft shows and perhaps even leave that one early (if you aren't at the shows, you aren't competition for them and what they are selling, even if its not the same item, you are still "competing" for sales).

Got any pics of your purses to share?

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, really needed that.

My Grandmother painted, and she was pretty good at it. Family loves her Art. She did water based oils.
Sigh ~~ but for me, they rarely have any thing nice to say. It shouldn't hurt, but you are right it does.
Then add one of my nieces, truly believes all Artists are into heavy drugs and drink. Any one that knows me, knows I do neither... have never felt the need too.

Could be, like a lot of people, they only think Oil painting, is the only real Art. Get that from some of the Art shows I have gone in. Comments like.. it would of won IF it had been an oil painting.
Like OK... if you folks liked it that much, why couldn't my Art work win?..... and this was an open show, all mediums. Put in Urban Jungle and Joyful... both pen and ink with watercolor pencil wash.

Is almost funny, my family doesn't like my Art.... yet, I get people stealing it all the time. :p

Sorry those folks picked apart your purses, bet they were just jealous.. or trying to figure out how you made them. (hugs)
But I am very glad you sold them all!! VBG

You know I'm a FAN Shari! I do know how it hurts. When you're an artist, your art is YOU so when a loved one rejects it, it *feels* like they are rejecting you. (I know this feeling well)

You have to look at it more like, some people don't "get" animals or the intense love for them. They roll their eyes at us and make comments intended to put us down. But when something is part of YOU, celebrate it! Enjoy and be who you are!

There is nothing at all wrong with your art. I have some problems with my family and my drawings I do as well. Some of them they haven't liked, some that I have given to them, and instead of giving it to someone else or giving it back they have let them get ruined. I did a little Amish girl holding a kitten and my mom didn't like it so she let her cat sleep on it. It got all wrinkled and I saw it that way so I took it back. Now basically they are like the general public. If they want something they are going to pay for it. I still do gifts and stuff for my friends and I would my brothers and sister but not my parents.

Wow, your artwork is lovely and I'd like to commission a piece or two (pony pics like the one with the boy and pug)...

I DO know how much that hurts. I used to draw (started with stick drawings long before I was 10 yrs old), but art teachers and family ridiculed everything I did and I became very discouraged. I took a lot of joy in my drawings - often drew in my school notebooks and parents and family did keep me in drawing books/pads for years, so that I couldn't complain about.

I gave a lot of drawings away and had one I really liked. My mom even liked it and we were going to mat & frame it (it was a galloping pony). A school friend saw it and fell in love with it, so I gave it to her. We were in elementary school - think 6th grade. She kept it for a while - then I went to her house one day when we were in high school and she had drawn over my drawing - putting manure behind him, writing the word "s--t pile" behind & above it with an arrow towards it. It totally destroyed the picture (done in charcoal - one of the very few that my family DID like). I was incredibly hurt! It was years before I would give another drawing away. I was not an artist per say - didn't continue in that vein. Life came along - working, military, marriage, family, back into horses/ponies, making my own equipment. Every now and then I get an urge to draw - and can often do a pretty decent picture on the backs of the "place mats" in restaurants. Some of them are good - often I have had a waitress or waiter ask if they can keep it and if I will sign it. I do... That fixes my creative urge every so often!

I have one pic right now - did it in purple ink on a place mat. It had other markings and it was dirty, so I cut the horse out and taped it to my photo that sat on my desk at work. I will have to post a pic of it one of these days...

During one of our military moves we had about half of our household goods in storage while we were moving into another house. The storage unit was broken into and cleaned out. All of my artwork, art supplies, drawing & painting books, acrylics, pastels, charcoal, sewing books, sewing supplies, 2 sewing machines and family photos (plus lots of other stuff) was in that storage unit at that time. I have been trying to find some of the books to replace what I lost (some are out of print). Really put out that a pastel drawing of an arab horse head (done from one of the Walter Foster drawing books), done on crushed velvet (or velveteen?) - that I did when I was 9 yrs old under the direction of my artist aunt in OH - also was in that storage unit and is now gone. I had finally picked out the matting and frame I was going to have done with it - after carrying it around with me for more than 20 years just "by itself"... It had gone to both Korea and Germany with me and survived. I was more than a little ill when I discovered that out unit had been "taken" (it was one of many - turned out the cameras on the grounds were "fake", too...). All of our "stuff" was mostly personal - not sure anything would have gotten anything when re-sold - not even the sewing machines(?). Well maybe the original DVDs of Star Trek movies... and some of the first Disney DVDs that aren't available right now. Who knows?

I DO have several friends that would really appreciate the picture of the bird (BEAUTIFUL) and would frame it and hang it in an honorable spot in their homes!! I don't usually "do" birds, but I'd like that one too. The third pic is beautiful too, but isn't my style at this time. However, one of my daughters would appreciate that one!!! She's into theater arts and abstract and feathers & "flowing things" and I bet she'd love to have that one - especially since it's in colors she's very much into.

As to finding gifts for family - I GIVE UP! It's hard! Even though it's not as personalized, most of the time I do gift cards. I do TRY to base the gift card on the person - some to restaurants (and then pick one that I know that person likes but can't generally afford to go to), some to hardware stores, some to Amazon, some to Wal-Mart. For our oldest daughter, for her Bday this year, we gave her a gift card to the Outback and also a home made coupon for so many hours of "day care" for our grand daughters so her and her hubby could "get away" for a few hours. They loved it! Some of my other family said that that was a terrible gift - but again our daughter loved it. It sure beat some of the other stuff I might have gotten for her. One of my friends' is on disability and her hubby was laid off right before Christmas a few years ago. I knew that they would be tight money for a while - i had some extra that year and was able to get a gift card to her most often used feed store. It kept them in horse, dog/cat food & chicken scratch for 3 months after they sold the large horses (3 of her 4 arabs went to an auction - we won't talk about that - it sucked!).

Latest posts

Back