False Heat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristi@berrett-ranch

Reaction score
Is it possible for a pregnant mare to have false heat? I have a maiden that is suppose to be with foal, so the previous owners said, but when she gets around a stud or a gelding she will squirt like she is in heat
default_wacko.png
. Is that a sign she is not pregnant?

Not a mini, but my AQHA mare showed signs of "heat" most of the way through her first pregnancy. I had her bred, verified in foal, then, moved across two states and she was acting like she was in heat; vet saw her, verified she was still pregnant and she foaled almost a year to the day from her breeding. Some just act in heat through a pregnancy, although, it is possible she slipped the foal.

Is it possible for a pregnant mare to have false heat? I have a maiden that is suppose to be with foal, so the previous owners said, but when she gets around a stud or a gelding she will squirt like she is in heat
default_wacko.png
. Is that a sign she is not pregnant?
It is possible she is in heat but it is also possible that she is having a false heat. One time we bred a mare a month before she had a baby....oops LOL.

Easiest thing to do is have her vet checked with an US or do a wee foal 120 on her.

A perfectly normal reaction from some in foal mares when they get near stallions - a lot of mine do it! I think they 'spray' urine at the stallion just to tell him (via the scent of the urine) that they are NOT in season, so KEEP AWAY!

I think you will find that your little girl is still safely in foal.

Anna

Latest posts

Back