False Advertising?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"big headed, short necked, roach backed, goose rumped mare with antisocial attitude and crooked legs. but, she's a"

Black & White Paint!!!!

Thanks for the chuckles this morning folks! I know that wasn't the intention of this post, but I have to laugh at all the ways people find to describe their horses for sale!!! He'll watch a cow ('cause he's afraid it'll eat him); she's a bit of a hard keeper (hard to keep 'er in!); straight legged (you could string fence on those hind legs); pencil necked (with a hammer head); great attitude (when sleeping); easy to train (but we haven't been able to); good driving prospect (only thing we HAVEN'T tried with her).......

Seriously, yes, many people can be barn blind when selling their pride and joy. After all, your baby wasn't the ugly, redfaced one in the hospital nursery, was it?
default_smile.png
But it is up to the buyer to have their "ideal" horse in mind when shopping and be able to see past the barn blindness. And if you're buying over the internet or from an ad in a magazine, call a reputable breeder/trainer in the area and ask them to look at the horse for you.

I too enjoy reading sale boards and ads...people can be so creative. But just like in other endeavors, some people tend to stretch and expand the truth for their own end, while others merely follow along thinking "I don't know what I'm talking about but that's the way it's done", and some are just in it for the money to be made.

Horses, Used Cars, Diamond Jewelry.....BUYER BEWARE!!
default_smile.png

Honestly, just because knock knees are "obvious" to you or me, doesn't mean they are obvious to the barn blind owner that just doesn't know a whole lot about conformation. I had a neighbor one time with a young arab mare that was as bowlegged as can be. The owner did not see that the horse was bow legged. She loved that filly, and just didn't know enough about conformation to recognize that the legs were badly bowed.

False advertised IMO would be advertising an unregistered horse as having AMHA/AMHR papers, or advertising a gelding as a good breeding animal...

Describing a horse as Arab type, having a level topline and a long hip when in reality the horse looks like a roman nosed draft horse with a very un-level topline and a chopped off, short croup isn't really false advertising--it's just silly, even dumb, and you can't charge someone with "dumb"

I don't think there is much anyone can do about some of the misleading ads out there but chuckle and move on. Sad part is someone new has no idea how misleading some of those ads really are. I really love the ads where the seller creates awards and titles their horse has won. I've seen it on both local and National level. For fun try to look up some of the amazing results some of those "unbeaten in show" sale horses.

I'm with Freezin Cold, I'll take the Snickers. I dont care for Milky Ways either! LOL

I would not say 'comparing' the way a mini moves to another breed or comparing something to another breed is false advertising. How else would you describe something? If it has a beautiful floating Arab type trot, then why not use that? Everyone pretty much knows what to expect then.

Also, for folks who read ads that say the horse is stunning, looks and moves like an Arab and has a level topline, and the picture is of an horse that is less than appealing, with a straight shoulder and 8" stride with a tail that drops off the rear end, then the person reviewing the ad should just pass over it and move on. Compare the pic, which you can SEE, with the ad words, and if what you see doesn't match, then it is obvious that the ad was rather puffed up to try to sell Ol' Comet to someone who doesnt know any better, or the seller sure doesnt know any better. And shame on you if you purchased the horse anyhow, thinking it was going to turn into a stunning Arabian type mover on the trailer on the way to your farm. (I guess it could happen- I've heard of others that grew 3" on the trip, became cowhocked in the 3 days they left one farm and arrived at another, developed stifle problems overnight only noticed by the new owner and their vet, arrived suddenly crippled because they must have been damaged on the trailer on the journey there, etc....!!)

I had a friend who one year, when brand new to horses, got rooked in by someone who is quite experienced and breeding a long time. One was advertised to her as the 'horse had been to Nationals'. Yep, it sure had. Was never entered in a class, was there for sale, and didnt sell. She didnt know enough to ask if the horse was ENTERED there, or even placed, she assumed it must be good quality since it had 'been to the Nationals' and bought it. Paid a lot of money (thousands) and sold it for a few hundred as a pet. Another one sold to her had dwarf characteristics- she didnt know, and sure enough, the only time the horse settled in it's life, it produced a tiny dwarf. Friend took the seller to court.... and lost. Look up the term 'puffery' in an attorney's dictionary, and the old 'you should have known better, etc...' before you bought.

So, for the ads that seem ridiculous- they are, but I dont see that comparing the way a Mini's head is shaped or the build is QH type, etc.... is wrong- it is giving people an idea of what they are possibly looking at. IF the words match with the horse.

I'll quit babbling now.

Well I never take what people write in their Ads Seriously.

I always Look Over their Pictures Really Good and if I am REALLY interested I will look up

their Registered name on the Stud Book.

It has Worked Well for me, But I always go into it knowing if I don't happen to like something about him/her I can always resale and if it is a Stallion Geld and find a new Home or....... I can just Pass if Meeting them in Person.

What I REALLY Hate is when People Lie

The First 2 Minis I bought I was lied to

with Sapphire They said she was 31 we measured her and she was 33.500

They also lied about her Dam and said she was 32 but her Permanent Papers say 33.500

Why Lie?

But What I hate worse then Lying is Somebody Holding back Papers &/or Transfers for Horses that are Completely Paid for.....

daysha07profile.jpg

For Sale.. Private treaty only...

Only offered for a short time.. this exquisite replica of a true Arabian. This mare has all the characteristics of the full size Arabian.. The tea cup mussle, the large fluid eyes.. the exotic head.. and swan neck.. level top line.. she could be yours.. Only here at "Wanna Be Mini Arabians" can you find this rare quality of a Arabian mare.. Other farms may boast their horses are Arabian Minis, but they are fakes.. Contact us soon.. or this mare will be off the market..

Sound familiar..???? I see this all the time.. Pictures of minis portaying an Arab Type, and in my eyes look nothing like an arab.. If some of you think this mare looks Arabian type.. thats cool..!!! Maybe we all have different interepetations of Arabian type...

To me its like a photo of a poodle and someone is advertising Boxer for sale???? I do not think the mare in the photo looks anythng like a Arab. I would like to put Aces beautiful Arab along side this mare, to make this point... Do people REALLY not see with their own eyes.. an apple is a apple and an orange is a orange? Is the horse really so much more valuable if it looks like a Arab??? I would like some opinions..???? I too like a refined animal.. not just short.. I suppose we could say it looks like a REAL MINI, but what does a real mini look like??? Should we assume.. Arab type.. quarter type.. saddle bred type.. appy type??? This is a visual industry.. the adds with the juicy sounding adjectives.. give the buyer a virutal picture in their mind.. to entice the buyer.. Dont you think every sales product has to be enticing..???

Back