fallen or broken crest

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jandjmc

Reaction score
What predisposes a mini to a fallen/broken crest? I have a 32" gelding who has a stockier build. He's 9 years old, a new purchase. When I feel of him, his neck is a little "wobblier" and heavier on top than is ideal. He is presently at a good weight. Any recommendations? Thoughts?
default_unsure.png

I don't know how to fix the problem--actually I don't think there is even a fix. What I do watch in my horses is weight and amound of mane pulling to one side. Especially in my geldings, I will clip as much as 1/2 or more off the mane if it is thick. I also will not let it get really long--just a nice flowing length.

I have seen Minis that were very heavy and then lost weight end up with a fallen crest. I have also seen horses that were obese because of thyroid issues or other problems, then when put on meds and losing weight, end up the same way. There is no fix- once it's fallen, it stays that way.

I have a beautiful mare that has never been obese, shown her entire life, so never had much mane or very heavy any how, and her crest is broken. No more shows for her
default_sad.png

A heavy crest can be a sign of insulin resistance, whether the horse is otherwise fat or not. We have our insulin resistant 8 year old show mare on a low carbohydrate diet plus Remission, a magnesium/chromium supplement for horses with heavy crests. The real danger with the heavy crest is not how it looks when it falls, but that it may indicate a high risk for founder. That is why the Remission and the low carb diet. I feed low NSC grass hay and Purina Well Solve L/S grain. No sweet feed! Trust me, you want to do everything you can to avoid founder!!!

You can also reduce the crest some using neck sweats, but you need to do it before it falls. Lots more info if you Google "Safergrass".

Somewhere I found a formula to determine if the crest is heavy or not - the ratio of the neck diameter half way between poll and withers to the neck length from poll to withers should be below some number.. I will try to find it, or maybe someone will post it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A heavy crest can be a sign of insulin resistance, whether the horse is otherwise fat or not. We have our insulin resistant 8 year old show mare on a low carbohydrate diet plus Remission, a magnesium/chromium supplement for horses with heavy crests. The real danger with the heavy crest is not how it looks when it falls, but that it may indicate a high risk for founder. That is why the Remission and the low carb diet. I feed low NSC grass hay and Purina Well Solve L/S grain. No sweet feed! Trust me, you want to do everything you can to avoid founder!!!

You can also reduce the crest some using neck sweats, but you need to do it before it falls. Lots more info if you Google "Safergrass".

Somewhere I found a formula to determine if the crest is heavy or not - the ratio of the neck diameter half way between poll and withers to the neck length from poll to withers should be below some number.. I will try to find it, or maybe someone will post it.
I would love to see the info if you can find it! That is very interesting!

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to order some Remission and based on your recommendations have already taken off of Purina Strategy. I will switch him to low starch Purina feed. I currently feed 2/3 fescue grass and 1/3 alfalfa which sounds like it should be OK.

Thanks again!
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back