Eye problem with yearling colt!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellen

Reaction score
My yearling colt had an eye infection. It has gone away and then back again. I had been treating with terramycin and vetrycin. Also banamine and Antibiotics, also pred forte. We are doing this 3x's per day. He has a vet appointment. But I am needing help in the meantine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Yep, get a vet there as soon as possible. My vet is adamant that he sees ALL eye irritations immediately, because in the meantime horses can damage the eye further by rubbing it if it bothers them, and treating with the wrong type of topicals in the meantime if there IS an injury, can result in loss of the eye.

Andrea

Yep, get a vet there as soon as possible. My vet is adamant that he sees ALL eye irritations immediately, because in the meantime horses can damage the eye further by rubbing it if it bothers them, and treating with the wrong type of topicals in the meantime if there IS an injury, can result in loss of the eye.

Andrea

Andrea's advise is dead on. You can cause more damage than helping if you are using the wrong eye medication. They can loose an eye. Most vets would move an eye injury to the top of the emergency appointment category. If the vet cannot come to you, you should get to them quickly.

Andrea and Joanne are absolutely correct, needs to see a vet but in the mean while keeping that eye protected is very important. Try to get your colt in a darkened place, in the barn with doors closed or fix up a fly mask with a patch over that eye. Light can cause pain and further damage to the eye esp bright sunlight.

Thank you. I have a different vet coming tomorrow. We are now only irrigating and he is wearing his f;y mask. Also a warm wash cloth truly helps him. Dr still advised banamine to hlp with swelling. I don't know whe it exactly happened. I was out of comission and my husband has been helping. So by the time i saw it I was shocked. Russ said he didn't notice anything. But then again he normally doesn't.

My vet is on a lightened work load. He couldn't or wouldn't work him in for me to come, so they scheduled for next week? We are having the visitting vet tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back