External ultrasound devices and information

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKMiniatures

Reaction score
Hello everyone

HOping for some guidance and insite about externally scanning our mares.

Firstly, where is a good source of information? Maybe you know a DVD, book, website etc that is recommended for information.

Also, recommendations on machine purchases, what is reliable, affordable and easy to operate?

Look forward to replies.

Thanks

Maybe people prefer to carefully skill in internal instead. I would love feedback on this topic!!
How do people scan their minis - and what do you use, and how did you gain the knowledge (ie instructions, or a book or dvd).
With the mini's we not sure which option has worked best for them - what product is most reliable etc.

Hi!
default_smile.png

On the top right of the page is a forum search box. I did a search for extrenal ultrasound and came up with this bunch of threads that all meantion those search words.

Your thread is on top, but read through the others. Not sure this'll help but it's the best I can do
default_smile.png

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

Have you called your vet? They could probably give you a ball park figure. We had an external ultrasound done by our vet on a mare that was bagged up but past her due date and not making more progress. The vet normally does internal ones for us. The external U/S indicated it was VERY unlikely that the mare was carrying a foal. She came in heat a few minutes later. She had been confirmed in foal via U/S (in another state) much earlier and must have lost the foal and had what we call a "false" pregnancy. (Even though everyone tells me there is no such thing).

Unless you have a LOT of mares, I don't think buying a unit yourself is going to be cost effective, but there are breeders who use them and I think do the internal U/S.

l've used the external ultrasound the Pregscan by Animark the past 2 years..there's nothing invasive about it but you do have to make sure it's properly aimed at the uterus to get a good reading. For us it was correct as early as 20 days though the directions say you can test as early as 14 days after breeding as it can detect the density and tissue changes of the uterus at that time..but didn't work that early for us until day 20 from the last breeding and it spiked real clear in foal..

Latest posts

Back