Expecting first baby

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperhill

Reaction score
horses005.jpg

This is Susan (the bottom pic). She is 6 years old this spring and about 34" tall. This pic is from last fall. We have been trying to breed her to stallions for several years with no luck. Last Sept. (the 9th, to be exact) we brought home an 11 yr old spotted jack and it was true love in the corral before I could even get him off the lead rope. (the top pic)

I have not seen my jennet come back into heat since that first week the jack was here, so I am assuming she is bred. I think she is fattening up altho she is a different shape than our mini mares get when in foal. She is also developing a bit of a bag and her teats have changed from pinkie size to thumb sized. I can easily express clear, slightly sticky liquid, however, I could get droplets of this same substance out of her last year when she was not bred as well, so I'm not sure it means anything. She tends to walk around with her tail sticking out a bit, but she can clamp it down when she wants to. She seems to be a bit puffy from the vulva area, down to her bag.

What I am not sure of is a due date. If she really did take on Sept. 9th, or shortly thereafter, when is she due? I have been trying to do some reading since I am only familiar with mini mares gestations and signs. I don't want to coop her up in the corral too early, but I really don't know what to watch for in a jennet. Anyone have some tips I could keep in mind, or even an approximate due date for me? Thanks Linda

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear! sounds like we will have a September baby. Or maybe even later! Hope it isn't too chilly by then. I have the book you mentioned on order and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Thanks so much!

Sure sounds like your going to have a baby
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
: . All my jennys have been between 12-13 months gestation. (usually closer to the 13 month
default_yes.gif
: ) The foaling manual is a very good source, I wouldnt be without mine either. CONGRATULATIONS and cant wait to see BABY pictures. Corinne

My Vernon was born in September
default_smile.png
And much to our dismay we think his momma found a way to the Jack (through the fence no less) during her 2nd heat and we think an October baby is in the oven ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back