Ever heard of a miniature Gypsy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nathan..

The secret to importing is the "charter" which is a plane leaving Shannon (Dublin) or wherever and it is a horse plane..my horse was number 26 on a 26 horse shipment and the $$ was ridiculoulsy cheap...I could not believe it. The $$ cost is in quarantine if you buy a breeding age animal, over the age of three I believe. Then you are looking at adding $4-5,000 to the price (or a gelding..as these only require 2-3 days in quarantine).

I'd have a hundred if I had the room.

Kim

Nathan,

I have friends importing horses from Iceland and the UK all the time. It is cheaper than you think and once you have done it a couple of times...pretty easy.

Since we already have them here would it not be a lot easier just to import some????

I don't understand. Where are they? How much to import?

Rabbit is a real cuttee!

Just asking-- the whole reason we want a Gypsy cobbis for my son to ride so a smaller Gypsy would be perfect.

I was just curious if there was a miniature gypsy. The reason I want this breed is becasue they do so well with children. --great temperment.

I'm not planning to go into the breeding business. I'm still nervous caring about the three I have and in practice for the day we get a Gypsy Cobb.
default_smile.png

Thanks for the imput.

minihorses.gif

First...

I have a gypsy and think he is the perfect size at 14.1. I wouldn't want a mini version (which they do have if they are 13.2 and under)

100_5844.jpg
Kim He is BEAUTIFUL!!!! How blessed you are! We can't buy unitl we move to Nashville next year but we want a smaller Gypsy Cobb for my 7 yera old son.

Thanks,

Robin

minihorses.gif

I'm in the UK and there is a field full of the flipping things not two miles from my house.

Export to the US is a lot cheaper than you would think- Nathan we have had this discussion before and you were proven wrong then, why on earth do you keep insisting you know when we actually know different??

I have absolutely no interest in exporting these animals it is more trouble than it is worth- for every Diarmud there are at least three I would not touch with a barge pole!!

You can however, pick up a good horse, Diarmud standard, out of the paper, as opposed to a dealer or an auction, for around $4,000.00- a mare or gelding but as said, mares imported over a certain age are more expensive- I think the cut off date is 11 months but it has been a while so I may be wrong.

As soon as you start going on the web pages for so called "gypsy Cobs/Vanners"- some of which are quite obviously Sabino Welsh Cobs!!- the price sky rockets.

As I said- hype.

I prefer to buy the horse- Diarmud I could look at all day, quite happily, but then he was not bought on hype, he was bought on type!!!

I have a beautiful lo0ud sabino colored mare that just the other day I was looking at, thinking to myself how very much she would look like a mini Gypsy IF she had feathering. She has a draft type build, and a long wavy mane. If she had the feathering, she would look like a little Gypsy!
default_wub.png
:

hmmm interesting that my post was deleted. As I recall the prices posted (with references) reflected the ones I mentioned. Plus the fees for quarentine and CEM testing. They make a reasonable profit, but it certainly isn't a killing. The only extravigent things they have is their truck they use to haul cross country with, and its just a Dodge 3500.

I just sold my black pinto stallion/blue eye, and used to think if he had feather, he would be a Gypsy Vanner in miniature. I ADORE Gypsy Vanners and actually have been toying with the idea of selling most of my minis except for a few favorites and buying a Gypsy Vanner( must be black pinto with blue eyes)

If we could breed some minis to look just like one, I would have a herd of them!

default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: Jane!

You're right (as always LOL) Diarmuid was not bought on hype, but type and usability. My happiness is he is a wonderful horse, and was worth the effort. He is a fun fun horse!

Kim

Yes, it is this hype that annoys me - that and the people insisting it costs twice as much as it actually does to import a horse!!!!

If anyone is interested in bringing in horses I suggest they avoid Nathan's associates and go straight to source- I am sure Kim will be only too pleased to point them in the right direction.

These horses, however good a quality they are, do NOT have to be as expensive as they are.

Buy TYPE, not HYPE.

OK sorry I'm :eek:fftopic: I know, so back on topic, I cannot see the point of breeding specifically for a type that is exactly what the American Shetland was bred to avoid.

If you really do want some let me know and I'll send some out!!!

They should fit in a UPS box, don't you think??

They go for around $50.00-$100.00 for a colt, maybe slightly more.

But, of course, if you were to market them as "Miniature Gypsy Cobs" I am sure you could add a few noughts to the price
default_smile.png

If you really do want some let me know and I'll send some out!!!

They should fit in a UPS box, don't you think??

They go for around $50.00-$100.00 for a colt, maybe slightly more.
If you could pop them in a UPS box, I'd take two. lol.

My taste in horses has ALWAYS been drafty drafty drafty.... I can't find many horses, big or small, of the type I really like. When I was growing up there was a guy who would walk through the neighborhood with a pony and take pictures of kids sitting on it wearing little cowboy hats and vests that he provided. His pony was a black and white pinto that looked so stocky... and I fell in love. Then when I got older and started looking for my dream pony I discovered I couldn't find them like that around here. *makes sad face*

It isn't that i don't like the American Shetlands, it's just...... well, they are too refined for me.

I know it isn't popular, I know it is the exact opposite of what people are breeding for, and I know people think I am nuts but i can't help it.
default_wub.png
: I like what i like. I'm weird, and I am not ashamed to admit it.

Yes, it is this hype that annoys me - that and the people insisting it costs twice as much as it actually does to import a horse!!!!

If anyone is interested in bringing in horses I suggest they avoid Nathan's associates and go straight to source- I am sure Kim will be only too pleased to point them in the right direction.

These horses, however good a quality they are, do NOT have to be as expensive as they are.

Buy TYPE, not HYPE.
Here's my question for you Rabbitsfizz... Do you live in the US? As far as I can tell you live in the UK. It may cost more than what you think to import horses from Europe to the US. I am no expert on any of this... There are opinions being stated on this thread and I think that people need to start respecting others opinions.

As far as I am concerned IF the time comes and I import, I will take Nathan's associates and compare them to others myself. I want to know that I am making the right choice for myself and my horse. IMHO... Research the companies yourself to know what you're getting into and prices!!! JUST MY OPINION!!!

I did, I do, I have!!

And as Kim has said, she has not long done it.

It has not a lot to do with where you live, the price is much the same either way, the requirements are slightly different but quarantine is still necessary.

And you would be most wise to do your own research, were you to import, or to export for that matter.

The requirements may be significantly different... for example the rules on EVA and CEM. Some countries (I don't know which) do not require CEM testing. In the US it is required for breeding age animals, and that can add up to $2000 to the price, more for a stallion. So the requirements, and therefore the costs, can vary dramatically going east to west vs west to east.

this is a bit off subject.....but i went to an irish cob show in august..it was run along side the minis..........all the cobs were wonderful piebald hairy legged...and absolutely fab...to see a miniature that looked like that would be fabulous........
I know nothing of importing, so will keep my 2 cents out of THAT discussion (though I DO plan to learn more) ....

Some folks have said why do it? Well, why not??? I'd lLOVE a Mini/Gypsy Cob for driving - it would be a great size to haul my wheelchair around!!! And according to the Gypsy Cob Society of America, Inc ... others have wanted to cross their breeds w/ the cobs for whatever reason --- look at the Breed Standard on their website: Gypsy Cob Society of America - there are THREE sections:

"REGISTRATION SECTIONS

SECTION A

under 14.2 hands

A small horse with thickset, medium to heavy boned, well proportioned and balanced with ample muscle and abundant feathering.

SECTION B

14.2 hands and over

They are thickset, medium to heavy boned, well proportioned and balanced with ample muscle and abundant feathering.

CROSSBRED

The Gypsy Cob Cross Bred may be sport horse to heavy boned type, but still powerful with an overall impression of intelligence, kindness strength and agility. They are light - medium to very heavy boned, well proportioned and balanced with ample muscle with little to heavy feathering depending on the cross breeding. One parent must be a full bred Gypsy Cob registered with the GCSA."

If I can ever get my hands on a nice Cob mare, I'll breed her to my Armando and I'll bet the cross will be OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!

Warpony,

You are not alone! And you are so right to express your opinion even if it is not the one that is most popular for this period of history in miniature horses.

While I do also love fine boned minis, I just as much love the ones like you describe and often I like them more than lots of the show horses in the magazines.

And more often on that type do I find the heads I truly love!

Whenever you post pics of those native shetlands, Rabbitsfizz, I just love them! :) I truly love their thick manes and dishy heads and big eyes!!

In my "dream" herd I would have some of all different kinds and colors! :)

I think there is room for all of them.

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back