Even after "testing" have you been surprised by a foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
I have a 4 yr old maiden mare that was only bred 2 separate times last year...once in late March and once on August 1st. We really did not think she would take, but in the last few months has gotten a real belly on her. We had her ultrasounded about 2 months ago and she tested "open". I was a bit surprised, but thought OK, she is just a little "piggy"...lol But, her belly has gotten a bit bigger (but not the rest of her like you would see in a truely overweight horse), so I had her ultrasounded again about 2 weeks ago..."open". Hmmm.......

She is fed along the fenceline in buckets with several other horses (and fed hay on the ground)...and she is not one of the boss horses out there, so I know she isn't getting any more than anyone else...and none of the other horses in that pasture is getting a belly, so....?

Have you ever had a horse test "open"....more than once...and still be pregnant?? lol

Part of me thinks I am just "wishful thinking", but its not just me that sees it...This is not a horse that normally gets "winter fat".

I have not felt any foal movement and she would be just over 5 months along if pregnant.

default_unsure.png
:unsure
default_unsure.png

I had a mare ultrasound open by a veterinarian. We decided to work together with the vet the next spring to see what was going on with her reproductively before rebreeding her. During the ultrasound to assess her uterine codition, a foal started kicking around. She was 2 weeks from foaling. Granted, this was a mare that loved her food, and always was chunky. Plus,we were told she was open,so I wasn't even watching for changes.

What about trying a WeeFoal 120, since it tests for hormones produced by the foal, if she's open the test should be negative?

We've had mares ultra sounded a couple times that were labeled as open and were pregnant.

I remember one time that we took a mare back to be re checked because she was getting a belly. The vet was positioning the wand while I was hanging over his shoulder. All of a sudden we both fell back on our heels when the view of a big eye was staring at us on the screen. "Yep, she's got a foal in there!" the vet laughed.

We've been fortunate to have a couple of vets who were very good at ultra-sounds on minis, so the false reports were rare.

I've thought about trying the WeeFoal test...but wanted to use the one for a later pregnancy since I've heard they are more accurate, so will try that.

(BTW, yes, we had decided to no longer breed, but the last breeding was more of a "last hurrah" for our stallion/turned gelding Khan to release the semen left over since our vet told us it helps them settle down quicker....so we had no real intention of a foal resulting from it, but IF it happened we wanted the cross to be with Gabby. )

Yes, I had a mare ultra-sounded as 'open' before. I didn't list her on the stallion report. I won't make that mistake again! LOL The mare had a nice foal! I had to send in a late stallion report, plus do DNA on the foal in order to register it.

Since your mare is just five months along, you probably wouldn't feel 'movement' yet. So it is still possible that she is in foal. I'm hoping for you that she is!

yes Ive had a mare test as open and because she wasnt showing a season it even got to the stage that the vet put her on rugumate in the hope that once taken off she would come into heat , after one of Regumate month my gut was still telling me she was pregnant and I took her off , she did turn out to be pregnant but foal was a premmie and only lived for a week
default_sad.png

We had a mare US’d this last weekend that we were unable to see a foal rectaly. We then did a transab US (between flank and udder) and sure enough there was a foal.

Latest posts

Back