Emails when inquiring a sale

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern_Heart

Reaction score
I would like to have your opinion on Emails..... I am sort of wondering what ya'll think..

Ok.....

Say you are selling something.... anything.... !

Would you rather get an email from a person that their email addy is from their ISP provider or one that is from Yahoo or Hotmail etc.

Ok example... When I reply to some one that has something for sale I use my own ISP Provider. Not yahoo or Hotmail. It has my name on it and if any one wanted to check out my email addy.. well ....I am all over the Internet... I can be traced very easy also having my signature at the bottom of the email with a link to my web site, will also give them a idea of who I am and my real name ..... In other words I am not hiding anything by using a factious name like dragonslayer at yahoo.com or mypetlovesme at hotmail.com. The point is, any one can get a free email.....

This I do believe is fine when on an Egroup or forum, but when replying to an ad I can't help think that these people are hiding something... or are not at all serious and tire kickers. Why can't they use their ISP emails or how ever they get on line.......Why use an alias and then not give your real name.

Opinions Please.....Whats you take on it?

Joyce

I have 3 different e-mail accounts.

I started with Hotmail before I even got a computer, they were free and you could use them anywhere (id is my maiden name). When I did get my computer and set up, then I also had my ISP provided e-mail account, two actually. Two years ago, my ISP provided e-mail went on the fritz, so I opened a Yahoo account; I still don't know what happened, spent weeks e-mailing support and going through tons of crap, even went so far as to reset my e-mail account. I still can't reply to e-mails sent to that account; so I primarily use the Hotmail account and Yahoo. What I use it for depends on when I started up with something; eBay, paypal and some personal correspondence is on Hotmail; and, LB, equine healthy e-newsletters, and some personal on Yahoo.

So, I wouldn't necessarily think someone is trying to hide something just because they aren't using their ISP provided e-mail. There are plenty of people that don't have personal computers, but use work computers, public computers, etc, so they have to use one of those free e-mails.

I have used the same Email with Hotmail.com for close to 10 years now. I really don't care how a person Emails me so long as they are legit.

With me being a military wife for 7 years it was just easier to have my yahoo e-mail that way I didn't have to keep changing it everytime I moved...so there are reason's for it
default_smile.png

I do not think having a free email such as hotmail or yahoo makes someone more or less legitimate in fact to be honest I have never even thought of it

Yeah, some people don't have anything but a free e-mail account, so if they are going to email at all, they have to use that free account. If I'm trying to sell something over the internet, I much prefer that someone contact me using their free e-mail account rather than not contact me at all!

I usually use my ISP account, but there have been times when that e-mail account is not available--I've complained all too often to my provider about my e-mail not working--I can access it through my outlook or via their webmail, but there have been times when both ways it has been unavailable. It's very frustrating to have no e-mail, and when I complain to be told that they don't know what the problem is...one time it was an entire weekend that I couldn't access my e-mails. On those occasions I have used my free account with gmail.

I honestly don't think about 'why' someone is using a free account when they e-mail me. Half the time I don't even notice that they are using a free account to e-mail me--I see the account name on the message that comes through, and don't actually look at the provider name after the "@" part of the address. And, with today's spam being what it is, spammers can make their e-mail address look like any e-mail address they wish to...even my own...and there are so many providers out there, I don't "recognize" half of them anyway, so there is no point in trying to determine if my incoming e-mails appear to be legitimate or not. I look at the "name" given on the e-mail, and the subject line, and go by that, not by the provider name on the e-mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for you input. Having read all your comments, it makes me understand this a lot better.
default_smile.png

Thanks

again

Joyce

Last edited by a moderator:
I like using an e-mail service that I can check from anywhere and at anytime. Every internet service provider that I have had over the years has had archaic webmail with very limited functions (no spell check, no font choice, etc.). I liked Outlook Express, but when I was at work I had to use my internet service provider's webmail. I have had a GMail e-mail address for almost 3 years now and I have been very pleased with it; I like it's look and I like all of it's functions, etc. I am as "legit" as they come and I am not a bit leary about using my real name on-line or in e-mail. For me, an account like this is the best option because if I have to move and change internet service providers I get to keep using the same e-mail address. For me, changing my e-mail address is as bad as changing my mailing address because I conduct so much business on-line (buying and selling products, etc.).

Latest posts

Back