Ellies Hay Wasting ....continued

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliesMom

Reaction score
First off, thankyou for all your suggestions! I will try to feed her less, or maybe in a large bucket off the ground......I do think the real problem is that I just cant find any real good quality hay where I live. (Overland Park, Kansas) Im in the city for another year or so....and horses and horse lovers have moved away for the most part. The only hay available to me right now is prairie hay and brome hay....neither of which Ellie seemed to like much. However I do think she ate the prairie hay a little better when I had it. Ive been searching for hay for weeks as fall/winter is approaching! Maybe I'll ask my vet or farrier if they know of anyone....they make long drives to come to my house.

If anyone out there lives around east central kansas (im about 25 minutes from kansas city , Kansas) and can offer any help to me where I could get Timothy or grass hay I would sure appreciate it!

There have been times here when it's very hard to find good hay; this year the hay was all cut late, due to all the rain we had at the time when the first cut of hay should have been put up. So, the hay is all overripe, often more dry than it should be, and the horses just don't like it. Some is quite coarse too.

When the hay is like this, we actually feed extra; that way the Minis can pick & choose & do not have to eat the stuff that is really too coarse or unpalatable. They're wasting some, but that's the way it is. Around here, with good hay they get less; poorer hay they get more.

There are 3 listed breeders on the LB-"breeders connect" ..that are in Kansas... In the event that they dont get around to reading this post, you may want to E-mail them to see if they can help you out there.

Latest posts

Back