Elderly dog question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Satin Balls is a total canine diet, which is homemade. It can be feed by itself or as a

supplement, for as long as you want. The only time that you

probably should feed it alone is when you have a sick dog I am

told, or one that needs to be built up or an underweight dog that you

plan on showing. They say the problem with feeding it by itself is figuring out

the amount. It will put weight on a dog in a matter of days. Not really recommended for

puppies since you normally want them to grow slower, but steady and be a normal weight for there breed, so I would only use these for pups that are malnourished, and really need weight. It will put on the weight, make the coats soft and blue black (for black coated dogs) The dogs stop all the itching and chewing at their coats/skin, and the energy leel increases.

Satin Balls for Little Dogs -- or to try out recipe on your dog to see if he will eat it.

[SIZE=10pt]1 lb cheap hamburger (for high fat %)[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]1 and 1/3 cups Total cereal[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1 and 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1 raw egg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]6 Tablespoons wheat germ[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1 package Knox unflavored gelatin[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2 Tablespoons vegetable oil[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2 Tablespoons unsulfured molasses[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Pinch of salt [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Satin Balls Half Recipe[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]5 lbs cheap hamburger (for high fat %)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1/2 large box Total cereal (about 6 cups cereal) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1/2 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 7.5 cups oats) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]5 raw eggs[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1/2 of 15oz jar wheat germ (about 2 cups) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]5 packages Knox unflavored gelatin[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]5/8 cup vegetable oil (this is pretty close to 2/3 cup) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]5/8 cup unsulfured molasses[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Pinch of salt [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Satin Balls Full Recipe[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]10 lbs cheap hamburger (high fat %)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1 large box Total cereal (about 12 cups cereal)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 15 cups oats)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]10 raw eggs[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1 15oz jar wheat germ[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]10 packages Knox unflavored gelatin[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1 and 1/4 cup vegetable oil[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1 and 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Pinch of salt[/SIZE]

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

For the large batch.Thaw as needed.

Feed RAW.
[SIZE=10pt]Notes:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]"Whole Wheat Total" cereal (blue box) comes in large 1 lb 2 oz size (about 12 cups settled) and a smaller 12 oz size (about 8 cups cereal), which would work in Little Dog or Half Recipe. But in the long run, the large size is more economical. Don't get Raisin Total or Lo Carb Total.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Uncooked Oatmeal like "Quaker Old Fashioned Oats" and less expensive supermarket house brand, come in large 2 lb 10oz size (15 cups oats) or smaller 18 oz size (about 7 cups oats). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]15oz jar of wheat germ is about 4 cups. Some stores only carry a 12oz jar of wheat germ, which contains about 3 and 1/4 cups of it. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Vegetable oil -- use a good one. I use olive oil.[/SIZE]

You can also use the Knox Joint Gelatin instead of the plain Knox unflavored gelatin. Since this is high in vit C and protein, and is good for the joints, it would be good for the dogs.

I have had alot of pm's asking for about smaller recipe so I broke the big one done for everyone.
default_wink.png
default_biggrin.png
and also added my notes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Connie, the meds to help the peeing decreases appetite.

My Rottie was on it.

Its exactly the same stuff they used to put in the over the counter diet aids like Dexatrim to curb appetite. Also in a lot of old allergy meds that were over the counter.

Robin

Hi, Is your dog on Proin?I was told the same information that Robin wrote. My old girl is a big dog about 98 pounds. Not sure on age as she was a rescue but somewere between 14-16 now.Been on proin for about 8 months-she lost about 20 pounds when she first started the proin we decreased the amount and upped her food intake inticing her with all different types of food-vienna sausages being the one she liked the best. Gradually we were able to even it out. Your dog is a lightwieght not sure about how to adjust with no more wieght loss-Diaper for awhile while you even out the dosage maybe? I wish you good results.Donna, Amanda's Mom

Oh Dear Lord - so now the meds that she has to take to stop her from wetting in the house are decreasing her appetite? Why wouldn't my vet tell me that I wonder? Ugh!
default_no.gif

Thanks so much for the recipe for the satin balls Corrine. Do you cook them? I'm assuming you wouldn't feed raw meat.................................

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Connie,
default_saludando.gif
How's your little poodle girl doing? My senior lab, Molly, who's almost 14, is starting to get a bit finicky with her food (and meds). She doesn't need to add weight, though. I'm able to get her heart meds in her with those little pill pockets from Greenies, but they're expensive! They're very smelly and a bit sticky.

Thanks, MeadowRidge, for the Satin balls recipe though I'm a bit concerned about giving such a senior dog the raw meat. I had my younger dog on a raw food diet before and he did fine but I guess the age is concerning me. Can you cook the Satin Balls?

Thank you for thinking about us. Shelby is eating better now that I am cooking her meals but she is back to wetting all over the house.
default_sad.png

I was worried about the raw meat so I have to cook everything. I just don't know what to do with her. I am putting her in a crate when I am not in the house so she can't wet on my carpet . I feel awful for her.

Bonnie has offered me a reading so I think I just might take her up on it.
default_wink.png
You all are so kind. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back