Educate me, please!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleWFarm

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking to become the owner of a Miniature horse sometime within the next year. Ideally, I wish I could buy one over winter, as prices are cheaper, but at the moment I have not got a proper area fenced in. If I do find one to get over winter, it's not a huge deal, though, because I do have about a one-fourth acre Lot fenced in behind mine and my great grandmothers house.

My goal for next year is to have my QH sold, and have a spot in our 50-acre pasture (about 2 acres) fenced in for my two TWH's. I am planning on removing any barbed wire from where I want to fence in 'my' area, and am thinking of redoing 'my' fencing with some sort of electric fence. If/When I get a Mini, though, I will fence off one-fourth or one-half an acre just for the Mini, as I'd be nervous of letting him/her run with my mare and gelding because my gelding is a huge bully and I'd be scared he'd hurt a smaller horse. We have lots of chain-link fence out here that's just laying around and not being used, so I could easily use that to make a fence as well, as it's enough to fence in a ballpark.

However, I think, before I seriously go looking for a Miniature Horse, I need information. The only thing I know about Mini's is that they can overeat easily...

What else should I know?

Keeping a mini with big horses is very risky.

Also, chain link isn't great fencing for minis... I've had numerous eye injuries from it including a $3,000 corneal ulceration, three stitched eyelids and one eyelid amputation. Never again.. It's worth it in the long run to get proper fencing.

Otherwise, check out the best-of forum here for info already posted, and remember that minis ARE just horses.

I have to say that going Mini is the best thing...even if my opinion would be considered biased
default_whistling.gif

Depending on who you talk with (and the opinions vary!), you'll want to have some area prepped as a "dry lot" for those instances when being on pasture needs to be limited, which is often the case with miniatures. Its hard to adjust to this, or at least it was for me, but it is for the best in many cases.

We use a fencing of 2x4 mesh wire run about 8 feet between posts. The interior of the pasture and the dry lot are lined with white electric fence tape. This helped keep our girls from rubbing up against and warping the fencing. We also had another mini who would "commando crawl" and push under the mesh fencing alone. The electric fence really stopped her, much to her great disgust.

I agree with keeping biggies separated from minis, especially given that you already know that your gelding could be a real safety concern for a smaller horse. With that in mind, consider getting 2 minis so they have their own herd. Having even some contact with the biggies along fence line is not enough from what I've come to understand. Besides, they're like potato chips...you really can't have just one!

There is a ton of information and an incredible wealth of helpful folks on this board. Keep us posted and by all means, share pics!! It's kind of a rule around here.
default_yes.gif

ETA: Well, there's more rules about pic sharing that I should probably mention as I was guilty of "breaking" them in my first days on the board. You need to own the horse to share pics of him/her but you can link to pics. If you want help with choosing, you shouldn't post pics of potential horses you're looking at, but ask for people to send you a private message through the board's email system and share pics/links that way.

The photo board has a PINNED post about photo posting rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends entirely on how "good" your pasture is. If it is grass used for dairy cows you might have a problem, if it is just ordinary grass pasture then Minis are just horses, as said, and mine graze on three to four acre paddocks 24/7 without any problems at all- for example my broodies are at present strip grazing around eight acres (I use a hot wire and just move it across every two weeks or so, so it isn't real "strip grazing" like they do with cattle) and then I have four stallions/colts/geldings on three acres- they will need hay as the winter progresses- and two weanlings on three acres who will be offered hay ad lib but probably will not eat much. My pasture is over 100 year old mixed grass ley and I have always managed my horses this way- I have never had a dry lot and never shall, I cannot see why managing a Mini is seen as such a problem and I hope you use your horse sense when you get yours- of course you do know that you never do actually, ever, get just one, don't you??

I second what has been said about chain link- even if it were not to be a problem in any other way it would be a problem in spring when they start rubbing on it!! Whatever fence you go with I would strongly advise lining it with at least one strand of hot wire- that way it will last a lot longer.

Welcome to the madhouse, I am sure you will fit in just fine!!!
default_wacko.png

Ours have done well in our pastures fenced with 4-5 strand high tensile electric. Expensive, but looks nice had has been up for nearly 20 years. Before we brought home our first horse years ago, we removed every bit of barbed wire. It is ok for cattle (mine have walked right through electric wire), but can be a quick disaster for a horse of any size. Most adoption programs will not home a horse to barbed wire fencing.

They are just horses, though they do have a tendency to hoof issues, like ponies are reputed to. Be careful with your feeding program, and all will hopefully be well. Personally I think it's a result of a horse brain in a small body. They happily eat as though they weigh 1200lbs. Obesity can both cause and result from glucose intolerance (I have 2 mini-donkeys with this), and in turn founder.Being educated, and willing to read and ask questions is quite helpful as an owner.

Here in NC, my smaller orchard grass/clover pasture dies back in Fall, but the larger cow pasture stays green just about all year. Fescue, orchard grass, clover blend. I feed whatever is appropriate..age, fitness, nursing or with foal. I personally keep the girls in one spot, the donkeys with the cows, and the boys in their own spot. We do have a driving pony that is larger, that is buddies with our little stud. They are best friends, and not too far off in size (29" and 37"). .

Welcome from Ohio! I think you will find this forum to be the best place for info and support. Minis are so much fun! Sound like you are on the right track getting info and prepared first! We do dry lot ours, but only for our small pastures sake. I would rather not have too, but we find our pasture bare. We have one acre stallion lot, which turns into a drylot by the end of the season. We have another 2 acre pasture out mares are in, and we drylot them. We also have a 3rd very small lot we use for new mares/foals, or if we ever need another area, or rotations. Good luck, and have fun!

Welcome!! You will be hooked in no time, I predict.

I am a big believer in having a "sacrifice" area (or small dry lot) in addition to any pasture you might have. This week was a great example of how useful that can be when Hurricane Sandy hit this area and we were able to leave horses "out" in their sacrifice areas with no danger of getting hit by falling trees, or eating the leaves and branches that came down. They still had access to their large stalls in a very sturdy timber frame barn.

Most of our fencing is 2X4 inch non-climb with some flexible vinyl that is very safe, but some of the minis - foals especially - can sneak through it. We also have some round pen panels left over from when they were used to separate the big horse from the minis.

Lots of information on minis on our website in the 4-H section.

Latest posts

Back