Ebay problems

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph_D

Reaction score
I don't buy much on Ebay, mainly because I can find almost everything that I need in stores close by. I bought quite a bit at Christmas, but haven't bought anything else until now. On the 5th, I did a "buy it now" for some aquarium plants. The guy's only got 1 negative feedback from back in October, out of 460 total feedbacks, so I thought I was pretty safe. I mailed out my money order that day and patiently waited. On the 18th, I sent an email asking if he'd gotten my money because I never heard from him. He said my plants had been mailed out on the 13th. Well, here it is the 23rd and still no plants :no: Now I don't know what to do. I didn't purchase insurance because really, how often does something get lost in the mail?

I guess my question is, should I email him again, before leaving negative/neutral feedback? How should I word my email and/or feedback? I don't like doing stuff like this, but $15 is still money and nothing was received
default_sad.png
I'm not a huge complainer, and I sure hate to pester someone, but it's upset me.

Help :no:

I'd e-mail again, give him 48 hours and then leave feedback.

Good luck,

MA

Depending on how they were shipped and where they were shipped from and to, ten days is not really along time. I would give it three or four more days before beginning to worry about this. I have had envelopes take ten days to get from a nearby town.

As for my thoughts, and this is supposing the plants got lost, I don't think it is fair to leave neutral or negative feedback for the seller, as he did his part in sending you the plants. Since you did not request insurance, tracking or anything else, he should not be held responsible for lost items. You may think the chances are slim that they will get lost in the mail, and overall, that is correct, but it can, and does happen.

Now on the other hand, if it is just a matter of him not sending it when he said he did, then I would surely leave neutral or negative feedback.

Unfortunately you are going to have to take him at his word that he sent it!

As a seller, I like to tack on a "delivery confirmation" charge -- about 50 cents, which at least provides a tracking for the item.

MA

Unfortunately you are going to have to take him at his word that he sent it!
And unfortunately, his one and only negative feedback is for an item not sent
default_sad.png

I did send an email, just an "update" thing saying that they hadn't gotten here yet. Hopefully he sent them and the mail's just going slow.

Most sellers that I've dealt with have kept up great communication. This one hasn't and I guess I'm just not used to that.

10 days is not nearly enough time to worry about, sometimes things take longer in the mail. You have 90 days to leave feedback so don't jump the gun. With a feedback number like that I'm sure this isn't something that was done on purpose to take you for $15.00. I also wouldn't just jump to leaving a neg/neutral feedback as the seller could be quick to retaliate against you.. I've sold off and on over the years and have had a few items that took longer in the mail, nothings perfect
default_rolleyes.gif
:

kj

I heard the other day from the post office that some states are doing a "tox screening" and that is holding up the mail in many areas at the moment and can cause delays even up to a week.

I heard the other day from the post office that some states are doing a "tox screening" and that is holding up the mail in many areas at the moment and can cause delays even up to a week.
Oh great, that's NOT what I wanted to hear, LOL!

Y'all, thanks for calming me down. I'm just super anxious to get these plants for my dwarf puffers
default_yes.gif
:

Dwarf puffers???? Aren't they the cutest darn things???

I hope you get this resolved soon.

What states are you dealing with???

I know that a year ago, I bought some pond plants from a lady in California on Ebay. I didn't think anything of it. I got my plants and everything was fine I thought. Then I got a letter from the post office, the Dept of Argiculture and Ebay saying I had to return them because she didn't have a permit to transport them into Florida. They were on the list of toxic plants not allowed into Florida for varies.

The Dept of Argiculture said they were starting to monitor plant purchases.

Just a thought...

I'm in Missouri and the seller is in Michigan. I bought java moss, corkscrew val, and dwarf sag. The java moss is what I was really wanting, but thought I'd try the other to see if they'd grow for me. Everything that I ordered, I've been able to find here in Missouri, just have to drive for an hour and a half to get it :no:

Sharon, I'm so loving the dwarf puffers! But I'm finding out that they're really hard to keep alive because they're picky eaters
default_wacko.png
: These 3 seem to be eating well so hopefully they'll stay alive for me.

You could also file "item not received" through ebay. Ebay will send him emails wanting to know the status. Sometimes this will get them to mail it if they haven't for some reason. I wouldn't leave negative feedback until ebay provides it's determination of the "item not received".

I thought the exact same thing. I used to have to do just that down at the P.O. Aquatics seem to be a new focus of Noxious Weed groups.

If that's what happened, I don't think a negative feedback is warranted.

Do you have any pictures of the Puffer Fish? They sound really neat.

I know that a year ago, I bought some pond plants from a lady in California on Ebay. I didn't think anything of it. I got my plants and everything was fine I thought. Then I got a letter from the post office, the Dept of Argiculture and Ebay saying I had to return them because she didn't have a permit to transport them into Florida. They were on the list of toxic plants not allowed into Florida for varies.

The Dept of Argiculture said they were starting to monitor plant purchases.

Just a thought...

I emailed the guy last night and he emailed me back this morning. It seems that my plants got sent to the wrong zip code and came back to him. He's still sending me those particular ones (which probably aren't going to be in decent condition) and then he's sending me a new batch out on Monday. :aktion033: I'm so glad to have this resolved! I'll be kissing that package when it finally gets here
default_yes.gif
:

I emailed the guy last night and he emailed me back this morning. It seems that my plants got sent to the wrong zip code and came back to him
typical excuse (heard it a couple times from ebayers) - sorry, I guess I just don't trust people, I think he's lying, but hopefully you will still get your plants in good condition. Good Luck.

Hi

Ebay requires all sellers to provide proof of shipping/tracking. Can plants be mailed in the first place? Some require inspection of some sort on borders crossing in the US.

Hope you get your purchase tho., I had a problem with a seller on ebay and it was a looooong and drawn out process to get resolved. I finally received my merchandise, but not as I ordered. I was also provided bogus shipping/tracking info and apparently it can be done through USPS internet. They bought the stamps (thus putting it in the system) BUT never actually mailed the item. Pretty clever if you ask me. I ended up filing a complaint with BBB in the state they do business in.

Good luck!

Beth

typical excuse (heard it a couple times from ebayers) - sorry, I guess I just don't trust people, I think he's lying, but hopefully you will still get your plants in good condition. Good Luck.
My only question was how could it have gotten shipped to the wrong zip code when most of the ebay sellers I've dealt with print out the invoice and use the printed address from ebay
default_unsure.png
: As long as I get my plants, in good condition, I don't really care. At this point, I'll just be happy to get them and get this over with. I've been checking his feedback and people that won auctions and paid after I did have already gotten their stuff
default_sad.png

I waited almost a month for something I got from Ebay that came from New York - I live in WY - so 10 days isn't that long. I did finally get it and he had mailed it when he said he did so it was just the mail being slow/stupid - I hate that most Ebay sellers don't use FedEx. :no: I would say be patient, if he's had good feedback so far he's probably good on his word and it's just taking an unreasonable amount of time to go thru the mail system (which I have absolutly no faith in).
default_rolleyes.gif
:

A postmistress told me once that the mail that runs north/south or south/north is pretty fast, but the mail that runs east/west or west/east is much slower - she didn't know why, it made no sense to her. But I do know, when I get mail from clients TX & KS I usually have it in 3-5 days, when I mail to my folks in SD or they mail to me it takes at least 5 days and they're only 4 hours away.
default_wacko.png
:

The only time I've ever had a problem w/ someone on Ebay was when I bought something for $2.50, the shipping caculator figured $6.87 for shipping. When I got the invoice (it was a first time seller, long time buyer) the shipping had gone up to $16.87. I emailed her and said that the shipping caculation was different for me (this has never happened since) was there another way it could be shipped as quite frankly that amount was ridiculous. She was very nice and said she'd check @ the post office the next day for actual shipping costs and get back to me. Never heard from her again. I emailed her every day for about 2 weeks just so she couldn't say I never tried to get ahold of her. I think she just wanted to get more $$$ out of the item and figured that would be an easy way to do it.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Hopefully if she plans on selling on there alot she figures out that that isn't the way to do it - you've got to set the ridiculously high postage price BEFORE the auction ends! :lol:

Latest posts

Back