Earliest your foals have been born....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My smaller mares always tend to carry shorter than the taller ones....285 & 296 here for earliest...both fully cooked.

I anticipate my little ones at 300. Since I have raised primarily 28" and unders for a long, long time, it's pretty easy to just start the watching at 275 days. Average here is 300-307..........the 32-34" gals have held out until 330-345 on average.

And hand bred, then ultrasounded, so I know for certain when they had caught, etc. With field breeding, ya gotta check the other signs and HOPE they have read the book! If 2nd foal, find out from prior owner if she bagged ahead, etc. They generally repeat.

Thanks Bess. I will contact her. There is NO bag yet. Her tummy is hanging pretty low. Luckly my vet lives about 5 minutes from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
My smaller mares always tend to carry shorter than the taller ones....285 & 296 here for earliest...both fully cooked.

I anticipate my little ones at 300. Since I have raised primarily 28" and unders for a long, long time, it's pretty easy to just start the watching at 275 days. Average here is 300-307..........the 32-34" gals have held out until 330-345 on average.

And hand bred, then ultrasounded, so I know for certain when they had caught, etc. With field breeding, ya gotta check the other signs and HOPE they have read the book! If 2nd foal, find out from prior owner if she bagged ahead, etc. They generally repeat.
Bess, thanks for this information. I didn't know this about the smaller mares. Interesting. Raven is at day 296 today. She's already under cam and starting a bag, but no other indications yet.

My earlier went 297 days (and is now a multiple World Pinto/AMHR National Champion gelding) and my latest went 364 days (ugh!) and I sold her young and not sure what happened to her...but both were born strong and healthy.
default_smile.png

I contacted the previous owner and she did bag up before with her first foal. At least I am all prepared now. Never having gone through this before it is a little nerve wracking
default_yes.gif

January, in VA. If I had a magic wand, that's actually when I'd choose all our foals to be born.

The earliest here was 296 days - a happy, bouncy, full term filly. The majority of mares here have foaled between 310 and 320 and the longest was 335 - but this year it looks like everyone will be well past that...

Latest posts

Back