dystocias...thoughts on Misty's thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookhaven

Reaction score
I read about poor Misty and losing her foal and having to have it cut in half to get it out. I don't know what the circumstances were, but I had a mare with a terrible dystocia myself on Wed. The foal's back feet were crossed and folded up under its belly and there was no way that I could push the foal back and get the feet down. When I got to the vet clinic, they pumped at least a gallon of lube into the mare which "blew her up" so to speak and that not only gave the vet room to maneuver the foal and get it out ,but it was nice and lubed which helped as well. I don't know if they tried this with Misty or not but thought I would post so that others may mention this to their vet if they are faced with a bad dystocia. It is such a travesty to lose a foal but if we can save the mare and diminish the trauma to her physically, it certainly makes things a little more bearable. My mare was extremely sore afterwards, and is back at the clinic for treatment of a possible uterine infection but is doing okay otherwise (cervix is closing normally and minimal bruising) and hopefully will go on to have more beautiful babies.

I read this thread last night and thought that this is something worth remembering. I'll try or suggest to my vets anything in an emergency. I'm surprised no ones added to it or thanked you so I will here, to bring it back to the top so maybe more people will see this. It sounds good to me.

I have also heard/read that if you can get a strap or arms under a mare's belly and lift her off the ground (hind legs only) and sort of help "dump" the foal back into the tummy/use gravity, that sometimes that will allow enough room or help to get into an otherwise hopelessly tight and stuck situation.

I had a friend lose a colt a while back and the vets used this trick to try and get the colt unstuck. They did lose him, but saved the mare and the mare is in foal again for 2006, so we have fingers crossed.

I have never had a serious problem and so I count myself lucky. I hope that all I read here will give me something to call on if I'm ever placed there and can keep my head about myself.

Liz M.

That is a good tip.

When we've had dystocias over the years, UCDavis's repro team always adds lube back in but cautiously - a little at a time. My understanding is that as the amniotic fluid leaves the uterus, the uterus 'shrink wraps' around the foal (in a manner of speaking), which is why there often isn't lots of manuevering space.

My understand from the vets is introducing anything into the uterus you run the risk of infection and/or to much lube could burst or tear the uterus - then you have a life threatening emergency.

Done under a vets care especially at the hospital is the safest, but we've had it done here on site a number of times. Our worst dystocia to date was upside down sitting dog style foal.

I also had a vet tell me recently while we discussing different lubricants that she had delivered a calf using Crisco! As she said if it's a new can it's sterile and it will greast them up! We routinely use the petroleum jelly from the dollar stores - 1 per difficult delivery. It's sterile and can be thrown out after use.

Yes, thank you for sharing your experience. Hard to read about and even harder to imagine my dear mares going through this. I am trying to block this out of my mind as a possibility but have stored the information in my head, firmly, should it become a reality for me
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

I have only seen horses have normal births but I have witnessed horrible outcomes at dairy farms, images that stick with you. I know if things go wrong they can go horribly wrong.........

All this sharing of experience is priceless.

Thanks

sorry for your loss, so glad your beautiful mare is ok, I checked out your website!!

We use a product called "NolvaLube" which is combination of Petroleum Jelly and Nolvasan. We get it from our vet.

MA

Is this mainly a problem with first foals? In heifers I know it is very important to use a small breed bull for her first calf. Does it make a difference in miniature mares how large the stallion is? Or is it just bad luck in the foal's presentation?

Marsha

Marsha, dystocias can happen anytime and doesn't depend on size really. Boots (my mare) has had three foals and the last one she spit out like a loose stool! Sometimes the foal just doesn't get in the right position. I've been breeding minis for 8 years now and only had two dystocias - unfortunately the last foal last year and the first foal this year. I'm getting a little gun shy now! But usually, mares foal with no problems. It's just when they're bad - they're BAD.

When our big mare aborted twins a year ago the first foal delivered fine but the second, which was dead inside, had her head tucked under. It was a major task removing her involving chains and lots and lots of warm water pumped into the poor mare. The poor mite was finally delivered but it was difficult.

I've been breeding minis for 8 years now and only had two dystocias - unfortunately the last foal last year and the first foal this year. I'm getting a little gun shy now! But usually, mares foal with no problems. It's just when they're bad - they're BAD.

While that blows my vets comment! This can happen once in a life time?

I just know my Luck
default_wacko.png
:

Thanks for sharing, not to wish this on anyone,
default_wub.png
: but does help to hear other similar situation.

My husband says with this experience, now gives him more knowledge, to try a little more, and

realize what you can do?

This was Misty's second foal, and first was a filly without us? But no udder? Being a maiden

mare expected that. Again now this foal no udder but foal was full term and fine in everyway, except

got in wrong position!
default_wacko.png
:

Back