Dwarfy ponies... or just bad confirmation..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calekio

Reaction score
I have 3 miniatures who all have medical/confirmation problems... all 3 i can see similiar traits in and i do often wonder if they might have some dwarfism gene in them to cause the problems... or if i'm barking up the wrong tree... i know nothing in the slighest really about dwarfism so...

Dinki - 7yr old, 32" - Has poor hind legs, doesn't flex at the hock, twisted teeth, had over bite as a youngster which corrected itself with time. Medically he has bone spavins, OCD, osteoarthtitis, a long with the dental problems. Very prone to colic and has no temperature control... cannot cope with our british winters and gets triple rugged, stabled as well as being left to get fluffy as long as possible.. in summer has to be clipped.. dispite our british summers not being that bas as yours over in the USA.

Is on joint supplements, painkillers through winter and magnetic leg wraps.

DinkiYardStandNice2Apr08.JPG

DinkiYard3May08.JPG

Splash - 5yr old, 31" - Has poor...well.. everything! His hind end is underneath him and has very bad hind end confirmation and bad teeth. Always has a 'bloated belly' appearance... ridged back. Medically.. something wrong with the hind end but still investigating what...... moodblindness in one eye, another one with temperature control problems, prone to colic, laminitis (founders)

Is on joint supplements & painkillers though winter.

SplashTrotJun08.JPG

SplashFieldJun08-1.jpg

SplashFieldNiceApr08-2.jpg

Locket - 5 months now - i asked you lot for advice on him a few months back and seem some saying that he did look dwarfy while others said he didn't...

He to me has hock joints that just don't 'fit' the rest of him..., long back, undershot jaw now being treated by vet to see if we can't do something to make them a bit more even... even as a foal showing trouble coping with the cold dispite being stabled and rugged (never had to double rug a foal... ever!)... had spells of intermittant lameness that vet never could figure out and he'd go sound again witin 48-72hrs..

Is now on joint supplement which seems to have kept him sound (touchwood)

(bad photos.. will take new ones..)

As a new born..

LocketCuteAug08-1.jpg

LocketDaisyWalkingAug08-1.jpg

About 3 months old..

LocketFieldNov08-1.jpg

LocketRugNov08-1.jpg

DaisyLocketFieldNov08-1.jpg

I'm seeing a lot of similiar traits with all 3 ponies... all have confirmation faults.. all have similiar medical problems... Dinki i rescued and i know as a yearling an adult tried to ride him!!! Splash was rescued as a yearling in very poor state and vets thought he'd die on me.. but he came through.. and Locket is homebred so had the best start i could possibly give him.. but a late baby and first time i put his mum to my now gelded piebald stallion...

All 3 are/will be geldings... and all 3 in home for life but just curious really.. my vets don't really have my experiance/idea on dwarfism in miniatures... so thats a bit like the blind leading the blind! lol

I am sorry to say that they all look to have poor conformation and inherited medical problems. None of them should be used for breeding as you are continuing to create the same problem. I really do not see dwarf problems as much as very poor conformation.

They are fine as pets, but to continue breeding these inherited problems is not the best way to go.

The first one I think has no true dwarf characteristics BUT everything else points to the possibility....he isn't insulin resistant is he???

Second one is a dwarf, yes, looks to have at least three characteristics of an achondroplastic dwarf.

Third one the jury is out on...you gelded him, right|??

I have to say in this breeders defense, she always gelds anything she is not sure of, or just thinks should be gelded, for whatever reason, and there would never have been any question of these animals being bred.

They look as if they have landed on their feet to me!!

None of them are used for breeding Riverdance... the first 2 are geldings.. so thats kinda impossibly! lol And the bottom is a homebred foal who didn't come out as planned.. he'll be gelded when old enough... his dad has been gelded for a few reasons.. and his mum dispite having has lovely foals previously is being retired anyway...

Edited - Thankyou rabbitfizz... Locket hasn't been gelded yet as isn't mature enough... but he will be booked in next winter to have his bits taken off... and will spend the summer with my other colts playing games! lol

The first one isn't insulin resisitant... funny you mentioned that as thats been brought up with him before... the second is actually from a stud who i've heard a lot off.... and have seen several of this stallions foals who are perfect... however.. had a granddaughter from same sire who has... odd legs..

Last edited by a moderator:
really hard to comment on dwarf traits from these pictures. Sometimes you have to see them in person to really pick up on it.

I agree they all have really poor conformation and I applaud you for being able to see it and gelding them. This is why when I wrote that book on conformation I put that it is about a lot more then showing. Its about horses living a life free from pain and health problems. Your horses and their problems show what poor conformation can put a horse through.

Thanks so much for sharing

Latest posts

Back