Dwarf???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
A sweet little filly was born on my friends farm. She is really tiny, birth height was only 14 inches.

She is healthy, playfull and drinking eating well. We have concerns that she is showing some dwarf traits with her head shape. She does not have a roached back, off bite or anything else.

The vet does not think she is a dwarf.

What do you guys think? I have permission from her to post these photos and ask these questions.

Picture_226.jpg

Picture_258.jpg

babelil.jpg

babelilll.jpg

Picture_252.jpg

First off, I want to say I think she is absolutely adorable!
default_wub.png
The first few pics I never noticved it, but in the last two I thought she looked like she could be. Not the typical more common type dwarf (brachycephalic) that you were thinking with the roach back etc. She looks to have a normal head, but her legs look misproportioned, with short upper limbs and also quite cowhocked looking in the rear, and also front legs look kind of funky. I think she may mature to be the type of dwarf (achondroplastic) that is long bodied...proper proportions of the body etc., but with short legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to say, sometimes letting them grow will tell you more. But I would say she does have a few small traits, especially the neck length and her front end. But again, some look minimal for the first few months and growth seems to correct it,visually that is,,for lack of a better explanation.

I also HAVE to say, she is the cutest dang little thing I have seen all year.
default_wub.png

I agree with Mona. But aaawwwwwww how CUTE she is!

Andrea

AWWWWW - she is absolutely adorable - pure cuteness all the way! I agree with Mona's point of view.

I also agree with Mona.........It's hard to say right now. With the first photo, I would say, no. But another photo, I would say, maybe. If she is -- you will know as she gets a little older. She IS adorable!

She IS ADORABLE!

Hard to say now since she is fuzzy with hair underneath makes her legs look short. She could be an older style mini, depending on sire and dam and again she was so small at birth, 14" is not very big and lots of small ones have short legs comparatively speaking.

Congrats on her, I can see that she is going to be SPOILED! Well I guess I can take that back, as I believe she already is!

Beth

Mona said it best. She pointed out the characteristics that would also make me wonder. However, she is the most adorable thing ever and it seems that should it be needed, there's no lack of volunteers to take her in!
default_wub.png
Of which I'm one!
default_wink.png

She really is a DARLING little thing but yes I think she shows some dwarf characteristics. First thing I notice is her body to leg ratio. Most new babies look more square. short backed and get longer later. This baby shows some achondroplastic characteristics. Her long bone length is short compared to her body length. Her legs look a bit bowed in the last two pics. her head while adorable is a bit domey. This is probably the most common form of dwarfism. She will look more pronounced as she gets older. She looks like a love bug!

Lyn

Add me to the list that thinks she looks "dwarf-ish". I also think she looks suspiciously like a horse that would do best with the climate in Conroy, Iowa, so you'd probably better send her here quickly. I'm guessing it'd be quite a long ride, though.

default_wub.png
What a Doll! She is absolutely adorable!! The only thing that really caught my eye was her front hooves. It looks like her heels are rolling in on the inside edge and that is what is giving her front legs that "knock kneed" appearance. You will need a good farrier to open those heels up and keep them open. We had a colt here last year that rolled in on one front leg and our farrier that we had at the time tried really hard to correct it but didn't know how and our colt literally ended up with a crushed ankle. We have to now keep a corrective build up on his hoof. Up and Gainesville, Adam Whitehead was able to straighten him out, but we cannot change the way his hoof grows at this point. Its amazing what can be done when caught early enough.

I just thought it would be a good idea to have that looked at and perhaps save that gorgeous little girl some of the grief our little guy endures.

Add me to the list of takers.

I told Art he better get started adding on another stall!
default_wub.png
default_laugh.png
One thing is for sure...Adoreable!!!!!

I would give it more time to be sure, but she is cute as a button!
default_wub.png

Every dwarf I have seen at this age has been extremely heavy.....when you pick them up they are like lead and have a bulky, tightened muscle feel to their body, as if they had been weightlifters all tightened up.

Any others who have been able to hold one ever notice this?

I have found this to be so in every one of the 6 or so that I have had to chance to make this comparison. It came to my attention years ago as I helped hold one up to nurse....first dwarf I had ever been around and I was shocked at how heavy this little guy was and so small he could not reach the milk bar! After that, any time I have been at a farm with one, I've found the same. A friend has adopted two in past and they, too, had this phenomenon.

My friends is still that way as an adult.

Your foal is adorable but, I am like the others.....it's iffy.

I think she to is absolutely adorable. A Loving Spoonfull ! I could just eat her up. I had a little colt here that the vets also thought had dwarf characteristics. He did not grow to be very big at all, but his legs straightened out and he looked very normal. He ran , jumped and kicked. His bite was dead on. However, I learned that he had died from an impaction. I did not own him at the time as I had sold him to a ferrier. With careful diet I think perhaps he may have lived, but he was on a sand lot and the owner didnt put two and two together. The vet said that sometimes in dwarfs that can happen, just a heads up.

I also think she looks suspiciously like a horse that would do best with the climate in Conroy, Iowa, so you'd probably better send her here quickly.
I am going to have to disagree with you on that one (
default_wink.png
), I am thinking more along the lines of London, Kentucky.

Latest posts

Back