Dwarf???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a minimal dwarf when I fist started in this breed. At birth he looked perfectly normal, quite nice actually. But his body grew and his legs did not. He got long in the body with very short legs. He could not lbend his knees to trot, so he had a funny shuffle gate.

If this little cutie is, she will start to show it as she gets older.

Bess Kelly I agree with you about their heaviness or stockiness. Dwarf foals do not have that fragile look or feel of a normal foal. I have no doubt in my mind that she is a dwarf. You will see changes as she gets older in the next few months. Keep an eye on her bite and especially on her hooves and legs. If your friend ever wants to sell her, tell her to make sure she goes to someone who will not breed her. This little girl is adorable
default_wub.png
and you can send her to PA to live with me and my special little 19 inch guy.

I don't see a dwarf but a little ELF! Especially in those pictures showing the red head
default_rolleyes.gif

She is adorable and there is the conundrum of dwarfism. They are soooo incredibly sweet looking and it is impossible not to love them so everyone wants them.
default_no.gif

I think I see some characteristics, but "mild". I can tell you, I could lay some SERIOUS hugs on her! I don't know how she could be any cuter
love0034.gif

She is gorgeous.....BUT, Yes, I'm afraid I have to agree, she is dwarfed and I am certain it will become more obvious with age.

She has a terrific "density" of bone for such a new baby, which I find to be fairly indicative of dwarfism, and the upper limb proportions etc...others have already said it all very well!!

I think her life will be good, she is so cute, after all, but, of course, she should never be bred form.

I also think by the time she is a yearling you will be wondering how you could ever have missed it!!!

You could hardly find a less "horsey" person than my husband. He's also not the most observant person that I've ever met!
default_wub.png
But when he looked over my shoulder to see what I was looking at, this is what he said. "There's something not right there. It's cute, but it looks like an adult horse. At that age, it shouldn't, it should look like a baby." A little perspective from someone that doesn't know squat!

She is just adorable!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
I think she does look like a dwarf, and like others have said will become more prominant as she gets older. They've got such great personalities though......I can't imagine that she won't become someone's "forever" pet!
default_wub.png

default_wub.png
It's really easy to love this little girl
default_wub.png

She has won over so many hearts. She is actually a bit of a celebrity as she has been featured in the national newspaper, the local newspaper, the internet and shortly a magazine featuring her wearing her Christmas gear.
default_smile.png
Actually, she was also featured in a newspaper article in England! All of this publicity has lead to many people looking at buying her. At this point, she isn't for sale as we aren't sure if she is a dwarf. It looks as if she has a great life, living on the farm as the farms mascot. As you can imagine, she will be loved on like crazy! Like I mentioned, she is healthy, happy and a little rocket. She is so solid but runs around the field with those tiny little legs as fast as they will carry her.

Here are some more photos of her. She is currently 'un-named', but the local newspaper is running a competition offering readers the chance to name her.
default_smile.png

Right now, we call her 'Babe'.
default_wub.png

BABEBEG.jpg

BABELIL1.jpg

BABELIL2.jpg

BABELIL3.jpg

I saw her in the paper here in the UK today
default_smile.png
My first thoought was 'dwarf' too, but what a pretty little girl. I am sure you and your friends will love her ( it looks as though you already do !) however she grows. I wish you all the best with her.

She sure is a sweety.
default_wub.png

You probably already have, but if not please advise your friend that IF she does place her somewhere to make sure they are experienced with the medical concerns of a dwarf and if not that they at least have someone to call on who is. I would hate for her cuteness and celebrity to end her up in a home, that although means well, isn't experienced enough to provide her with the care she's going to need.

Latest posts

Back