Duncan's First Driving Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueEyedPony

Reaction score
Wanted to share some pictures from Duncan's very first horse show this weekend, a local show that offered a number of pleasure driving classes. He was laid back and relaxed the whole time (a little too much, actually!), and acted like an old pro. I was pretty pleased with how our turnout looked after spending weeks putting it together. I've shown riding horses for a long time, but driving is an entirely different beast! I'd love to get him a fancier, more traditional cart and harness one of these days, but for now we make due with the synthetic harness and easy entry. My performance was a bit less than stellar (I REALLY need to learn more about reinsmanship!), and poor little Duncan was pooped before we even got started due to the heat and the deep footing. But overall it was a fantastic learning experience and I can't wait to try again!

Here we are, waiting for our classes to start:

Duncanshow7.jpg

Duncanshow6.jpg

Duncanshow5.jpg

Here we are waiting for classes with my farrier's daughter and their lovely Standardbred, Dracon. I thought her turnout was fantastic. She won the Coucours de Elegance class (and many others!).

Duncanshow8.jpg

Here we are, in the ring.

Duncanshow9.jpg

Duncanshow10.jpg
Duncanshow13.jpg

Duncanshow16.jpg

Here we are waiting in between classes, in the shade:

Duncanshow17.jpg

I also had to include some of Duncan's "glamour shots" from this morning, with his mane all curly from his french braid.

Duncanpretty4.jpg

Duncanpretty6.jpg

Thanks for looking!

:aktion033: :aktion033: Kudos to you and Duncan, I think you both look fabulous. I wish I was brave enough to drive in public, just around the farm at the moment but I hope to change that with some driving lessons
default_yes.gif
:

Yvonne

Uw, look at fancy Duncan!
default_wub.png
: :aktion033: What a pretty boy! He certainly has a nice stride on him as shown in that shot of him trotting in the ring and you've done an excellent job of turning him out to look like the big boys. I love the whole thing! :aktion033:

Now a couple of suggestions (I know, I know, stop groaning! LOL)...

You already know these things, I can just tell. So instead of saying "Your pad is too thick, it looks bulky" let me instead refer you to Chimacum Tack Shack as they have some very thin close-celled foam pads that would be protective enough to do the job in the showring while being low-profile enough to go unnoticed. You could also buy one of the "theraputic waffle pads" from Smucker's, they're only $9.95 but somehow always look more professional then the fuzzy pads and I think they're also wider, longer and flatter so it would fit your harness better.

I'll bet you've already tinkered with the shafts and settled on the only height that works, right? If you put them higher so the floorboards are level the shaft tips point at the sky? Right. Got it.

And you are obviously aware that it is correct for the driver to sit on the right. It is also, however, correct for them to sit in the center or the right side of center and that makes it easier on your horse in deep footing as the weight isn't centered above one wheel and making it drag deeper than the other. I've experimented with this one!
default_yes.gif
: Since it looks like your (very nice!) wedge seat sits on top of your bench seat, can you slide it over a bit? This will also make it look less like your skirt or apron is about to get caught in your wheel. :lol:

Your whole turnout is fantastic, I truly wish I could get my clothes figured out nearly as nicely as you have. Duncan looks like he's an exceptional green horse who knows the true meaning of "on the bit" and would be right at home in any ADS event around. I mean look, you've even got a quick release shackle on your breeching! That's cool. How tall and how old is Mr. Duncan? And what brand are your cart and harness? I think I know but I'm curious to see if I'm right.

Again, good job and thanks so much for providing us so many pictures to drool over!

Leia

Thanks for sharing your day with us. I think Duncan is a sweetie...Love his wavy hair, and his sweet expression. You guys look good together too! Reinsmanship will come with mileage and practice, practice, practice! I also think your hat is lovely, those are one of my two favorite color combinations. Good job to you and Duncan!! :aktion033:

Thanks so much for all the nice comments. They are truly appreciated.

Leia-THANK YOU for all the suggestions...I am still learning and any good advice is much appreciated! I've noticed the pad you use for Cody in your posts, and will definitely look into getting one. I also noticed the uneven floorboards in the pics, and can fix this easily. I just never get to see that when I drive at home as I'm always the one in the cart, LOL. Also, I think your suggestion to move the wedge seat (homemade by my very handy boyfriend, BTW) to the middle of the cart would have been very helpful given the deep footing at the show. My farrier's wife, who normally shows the standardbred shown in one of the pictures I posted, told me that the seat HAD to be on the right side, so I didn't even question it. Wish I would have now! Poor little guy had such a hard time in the deep footing.

Duncan is 8 years old, and 37" tall. I also should add (just because I'm so proud of him) that when I purchased him 2 years ago, he had only been handled for vaccinations and gelding, and thought people were MEAN. He would bite and kick, and was just about as wild as a deer. Two years later, he's the best $175 I've ever spent.
default_wub.png
: Just the greatest, sweetest attitude and what a personality! Such a trooper. For comparison, here's a picture of him just before I brought him home 2 years ago:

Duncanold3.jpg

I'm so grateful for my farrier and his wife, who have shown in driving for years, and helped me for hours a few weeks ago in putting together a nice turnout. Their input (and the hat they lent me) was priceless. I just can't wait to find a driving trainer and start taking lessons!

Edited to add: The harness is a Smucker's Synthetic Pleasure Harness, and the cart was purchased in pretty banged-up condition by my farrier at a carriage auction, so I'm not sure of the maker. My boyfriend did a pretty good job fixing that up, didn't he?

Last edited by a moderator:
I learn SOOOOOO much from reading Leia's posts that she's going to start sending me a bill for training!! After reading her critique, I went back to the photos and saw what she meant. Thanks, Leia! I also want to compliment your turnout, it can sometimes be difficult to put together just the right outfit, but I think you get an A+. I also like the before and after shots, it can be difficult to look past the wooliness to see the true beauty (oops, handsomeness) beneath.

Congrats on your 1st driving show!!!!! U both look great! Well done.

Again Nikki, I am so proud of you two! I so remember Duncan when you first found him and the change in him is a testamnet to what a wonderful horsewoman you are! Congratulations on your 2 ribbons BTW! Kiss the Kinder monster for me.

Great pictures, it looks like you had alot of fun :aktion033:

Champ

I think you both look pretty terrific !!!!!!!!!!

I'm a new driver myself as a senior citizen but probably won't do the ring. Just on trails at home but I'm having fun and wish I'd done it a long time ago. Good luck.

BlueEyedPony said:
Leia-THANK YOU for all the suggestions...I am still learning and any good advice is much appreciated! I've noticed the pad you use for Cody in your posts, and will definitely look into getting one. I also noticed the uneven floorboards in the pics, and can fix this easily. I just never get to see that when I drive at home as I'm always the one in the cart, LOL. Also, I think your suggestion to move the wedge seat (homemade by my very handy boyfriend, BTW) to the middle of the cart would have been very helpful given the deep footing at the show. My farrier's wife, who normally shows the standardbred shown in one of the pictures I posted, told me that the seat HAD to be on the right side, so I didn't even question it. Wish I would have now! Poor little guy had such a hard time in the deep footing. Duncan is 8 years old, and 37" tall. I also should add (just because I'm so proud of him) that when I purchased him 2 years ago, he had only been handled for vaccinations and gelding, and thought people were MEAN. He would bite and kick, and was just about as wild as a deer. Two years later, he's the best $175 I've ever spent.
default_wub.png
: Just the greatest, sweetest attitude and what a personality! Such a trooper.

I'm so grateful for my farrier and his wife, who have shown in driving for years, and helped me for hours a few weeks ago in putting together a nice turnout. Their input (and the hat they lent me) was priceless. I just can't wait to find a driving trainer and start taking lessons!

Edited to add: The harness is a Smucker's Synthetic Pleasure Harness, and the cart was purchased in pretty banged-up condition by my farrier at a carriage auction, so I'm not sure of the maker. My boyfriend did a pretty good job fixing that up, didn't he?
Yes, he did! And I like the wedge seat too. Tell him he's welcome to come fix up my stuff anytime!
default_yes.gif
: The Smucker's pad is a bit wider and longer than I'd like for Kody's harness but I bet it will fit Duncan's just right. Remember: Kody is only 33.5" while Duncan is 37". You can compromise on the wedge seat- put it to the right of center but don't jam it up so tight against the end of the bench. I think anywhere from the middle of the right half over would work fine and is far enough from the wheel to probably even things out a bit for Duncan. Experiment for yourself too. Have someone sit in the cart in various positions and pull it around a bit! See if anything makes a difference one way or another.

Congratulations on turning things around for poor little Duncan. Sometimes I think the "diamonds in the rough" are the best ones to get! They learn so fast and there's no waiting for them to grow up, just for them to come around. Then the sky's the limit, baby! Here's to an excellent bargain shopper who has put in a lot of elbow grease on her rock.
default_cheers.gif
:

Peggy P said:
I learn SOOOOOO much from reading Leia's posts that she's going to start sending me a bill for training!! After reading her critique, I went back to the photos and saw what she meant. Thanks, Leia!
Hehehe, you're welcome! :bgrin I consider it forwarding the favor others did me here.
default_yes.gif
:

Leia

My gelding just Started Driving and WOW AM i ever Pleased. I know how you feel WOOHOO Congrats Loving the Glamour Shots As wEll
default_wink.png
:

Back