Ducks and horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
I could have sworn there was just a thread here asking about this....hmmmm. Anyway, I googled the risk of Salmonella (spelling?) with ducks and horses. It seems to be a rather small risk, but any risk that is avoidable is one I'd like to eliminate. My BO's got their boys ducks almost 2 months ago. Between the weird weather and the barn dogs (yikes!) there is one remaining. He thinks he's a people and hangs out at the barn. He walks freely through the barn and barn yard but is unable to get into stalls. I am worried about his being in the paddocks, in fact, now I'm worried about the wild ducks that are in the pond at the edge of the property being in the paddocks. We turn our boys out in those. So...am I just being a worrier?

There is always that risk and if it was within your power (and it sounds as if it isn't) you could try to rehome or destroy the ducks (both domestic and wild), but, it is impossible to eliminate all risk because more wild ducks or wild geese could fly over (and eliminate during flight), land on, or wander onto the property. We occasionally have wild duck and wild geese visitors on the farm and there isn't a pond on the farm; there used to be a pond, but I had it filled in a couple of years ago because I actually really hate ducks and geese and eliminating the pond really made a big difference in the amount of wild duck and wild geese traffic on the farm.

When we moved to our present farm some 5 years ago we inherited a large pond and 20 odd free range Muscovey ducks. The ducks always wandered the fields and could be found in any stables when doors were left open (or even when the horses were in - the ducks busy laying eggs in the corners in the straw beds!)

I admit that these Muscoveys were all born and bred here and have continued to produce babies in nests that we have 'missed' when collecting the eggs, so I dont know if they could be called samonella 'free'? We have never had wild ducks arrive to use the pond, but as far as my horses and the Muscoveys are concerned we have suffered no 'illnesses'.

Hope this helps!

Anna

i had a pet duck that became best friends with one of my horses. they were never far apart. if the duck wanted to go to the pond then the horse would follow. they would even share the horse's food. the duck would eat what the horse dropped. it was so cute. we fed the duck her own food of course, but she would still go and clean up after Molly(the horse) the duck was killed by a fisher cat when she was 2. we never had any problem with salmonella.

Here's a video of them eating together

Ive never even thought about the risk of salmonella and ducks, I guess since we dont have ducks. I do know some horse people who get ducks to help with flys and mosquitoes around their barn and barn

We've always had ducks with our horses, but they mostly stick by a pond we have out in one of our big pastures. We've never had any problems. Last year though we had quite a few ducklings and our yearling colts were in the pasture with them. One day I looked out the window and noticed one of my colts walk up to a duckling and bite its head off. By the time I got out there to remove him from the pasture, he had removed the heads off of FIVE ducklings. I was horrified then, but can't help but laugh when I tell the story-who's ever heard of a horse biting the heads off of little ducklings?!

We had dozens of ducks along our irrigation canals at our previous place........Here we have 2 ponds and have ducks there. Plus, we have a pair of tame mallard ducks at our barn. Never had a problem. Personally, salmonella is everywhere, and if a person keeps their barn, enclosed areas/paddocks reasonably clean where ducks and OTHER birds may wander (and poop), you shouldn't have a problem, in my opinion.

ohmt said:
One day I looked out the window and noticed one of my colts walk up to a duckling and bite its head off. By the time I got out there to remove him from the pasture, he had removed the heads off of FIVE ducklings. I was horrified then, but can't help but laugh when I tell the story-who's ever heard of a horse biting the heads off of little ducklings?!
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked Good lord, I'm not sure I'd ever turn my back on that horse. Do his eyes glow red?

It's common to BUY ducks for farms here in WA as they're good slug control, never heard of a problem with them. Ours never got into the water trough though, nor did they poop in the stalls where the horses are fed. (Mom's Arab delighted in shoving them about with his nose.)

Leia

We have ducks for eggs and slug control- when I let them free range they go in the horse paddocks and we haven't had a problem. I have the ducks locked up now because eagles are out hunting to feed their babies and otherwise we lose birds.

Our chickens also free range with horses and we've had no issues so far. I came out one morning and a banty chicken was sitting my mini's back while he munched hay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could have sworn there was just a thread here asking about this....hmmmm. Anyway, I googled the risk of Salmonella (spelling?) with ducks and horses.
I don't know about the salmonella, but what about e.coli? Horses are in pastures where other horses poop and graze the ground around it and they don't seem to get sick from e.coli. I've always wondered about that.

BTW... you mentioned a "BO." What's a BO??

shutup.gif
errr yeah that was probably me.. i just decided to ask on my poultry board instead, the majority who had horses felt it was nothing to worry about. I have 4 muscovy... well 3.. my 4th was attached my coon not sure whether it'll make it.
sad.gif

There not 'free ranged' yet since there not fully feathered... but i wanted them to help control pests... i have huge doubts they'll go into the fields where the horses are, the filly loves to chase birds as it is. We don't have a pond.. shrug.. like i said most seemed to feel it wasn't an issue.. and they had way more birds.. chickens, ducks.. etc... etc..

I dunno.. it worries me but cripes i can't kill off my ducks.. we've had them since day olds.. my kids would freak out besides how the heck did anyone keep farms running with all these various types of livestock in the olden days, if everything is so hazardous?
whistling.gif

Latest posts

Back