Dry lot not so dry

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbiesshelties

Reaction score
Hello,

I know this subject has been brought up before but I am not sure what the answer was.

I live in NC, and when it rains my dry lot (think red clay) is a sloppy mess. Is there a safe mulch to use?

Would it help? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Debbie

In the worst places in my "dry areas" I use what we call blue dust. It's very small ground up gravel and it works beautifully....

It could be, don't know for sure. Even though they call it "dust" it really is very small "baby fingernail size" rock and it packs well. Got rid of all that mud. Have to replace some of it evry 2 or 3 years.

I'd like to know more. I've been putting out straw my whole paddock is like soup.

I muck my paddock --how hard is it to shovel poop from the rock dust?

THanks,

Robin

I think what you call blue dust we call stone dust here. Yes it would be similar to the small rocks in pavement. Probably smaller in size. The mixture of very small particles and larger peices make the material pack and stick together very well. Usually will work best at a depth of 1-2". If it is too deep it does not pack well and can get "mushy": too thin and it just gets worked into the material below. We have our center alley in the barn done with it and it stays very packed and easy to clean but water will soak thru it and it is easy to clean up with our fine tines manure fork.

Hope it helps and BTW we need lots more of it here!!!!

Mark

Latest posts

Back