Drought in Texas...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
No doubt you have seen on the news the drought we currently are going through in central Texas. They are saying that it is the worst in fifty years with no end in sight. We have just gone through forty days 100 degrees or more, breaking records for around twenty days.

Lauren took some pictures of our pastures yesterday and I thought that the montage that she did was really good and wanted to share it with you.

No_End_in_Sight_by_TheDayILiveFor.jpg

Oh my. that looks really bad. Seven years ago, when we first moved to our farm, it was a horribly hot and dry year and our fields looked like yours. I remember how the grass that there was crunched under foot when when walked on it. It was nasty. I hope you get rain soon - the good kind of rain that soaks the ground and doesn't run off. Here is southeastern Ohio, we have actually had more rain than we need this summer; I wish we could send some your way.

Cheryl

The pictures surely depict what you're going through - and I can't imagine how difficult it must be on you. Here in Maryland, we've had a ton of rain the last couple months but now we're hot and humid in the 90s and complaining - I think after these pictures we should be grateful here - and not complain. We normally get storms and showers after a humid hot day. I hope you get some relief soon! Hang in there~

No doubt you have seen on the news the drought we currently are going through in central Texas. They are saying that it is the worst in fifty years with no end in sight. We have just gone through forty days 100 degrees or more, breaking records for around twenty days.Lauren took some pictures of our pastures yesterday and I thought that the montage that she did was really good and wanted to share it with you.

No_End_in_Sight_by_TheDayILiveFor.jpg
Sorry you are going through the heat wave, we have had nothing but rain her in Ontario, not much sun, finally starting to clear up this weekend. Hope you get rain soon...
default_no.gif

I feel your pain Tony. I am just over the TX/OK border in the SW corner of OK. My pastures were starting to look like yours. We finally got 1.5" of rain night before last. Dried up in a couple of hours. But I am hoping that it can help the grass survive till we get another one.

We have been very lucky this year we had a couple dry weeks but

have been very fortunate with keeping green pastures

So sorry you are roasting for so long

Sending you a rain dance from NJ

default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif

oh well best I could find

hope it works

Thats terrible! Here in NH we have the complete opposite. Rain has taken over almost the whole summer
default_thumbdown.gif

I wish you the best and will try to push some rain down there!! I sure have had it with rain
default_gaah.gif

Sorry to hear you still have it so bad there Tony. I wish we could send you some of the rain we are having here in the UK. We couldn't beleive how dry it was when we visited, I really didn't think it could get any worse. Doing a rain dance here for you.

We have had nothing but rain for days. Wish we could send you all some

We've heard about your drought on the weather channels. Those photos really bring it to light. I sure wish we could send you some of our rain that we are getting every other day. We've had so much rain this season that we can hardly keep up with the growing grass in the pastures. I'm monitoring the horse's grazing time.

That's aweful!!

You should move to Michigan we had only one week of 90s in June then it's been upper 70s the rest of the summer with rain every couple days
default_biggrin.png
Best Summer I've ever seen!!!

Just finished our 47th triple digit day with another predicted for tomorrow! Guess I am just a wimp!

That kind of heat just kicks me in the rear,,not sure how you keep going in it.

Hope you don't run out of electric to run the air!!

Wishing you cooler days and sending some of rain!!

That looks really bad Tony. You could load up a bunch of horses and bring them to Missouri. I've got 20 acres of grass and would be happy to share. My horses are on dry lot because of too much grass. It's funny how when you come from an area with not a lot of grass (17 years in Florida) you don't realize what a problem too much grass can be. So.....I let a neighbor graze his cattle here and buy hay to feed the horses year round.
default_frusty.gif

Back