Dropped testicles on a new born colt.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
On our 1 day old colt I tried to feel to see if his testicles have dropped. I thought what felt like two little beans one time and then nothing the next time.
default_unsure.png

After birth when do the testicles descend and when do they retract again?
default_wacko.png

Can 1 day old colt draw them up?
default_wacko.png

Need advise.

Very similar to what I've observed.

I have no idea about their ability to draw them up or not, but I have seen them both/felt them both (like small beans), and on subsequent navel inspections have not seen them. I would hope to see them before they are a year old, but I had one that took until he was 19 months. These are on colts born here, I can't say about others because I was not there at birth.

Liz

When my yearling was born he had both his little baby stuff hanging down. I checked him the other day and yup, They are still both there. However, there have been times along the way that I just got a hand full of skin. Don't know where they were but they are there now.

My gelding's breeder said they were there at birth and disappeared a few weeks later. They came back down just fine around his first birthday. She said that is pretty standard with her mini colts.

I just asked my vet when she checked my new boy and she said that early on they can go in and come out often so it is not an indicator that they will stay dropped...if that helps....

Latest posts

Back