Driving people

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leia:

I prefaced by saying well conformed and fit. I agree that we can definitely improve a horses movement if it isn't put together just right. In some cases dramatically. Correct conditioning can also improve movement, and spark up a LAZY horse.

But on a horse that is a natually good mover to achieve that under saddle or hooked to a cart is the responsiblity of the rider/driver to NOT throw the horse out of balance, I believe checks do just that.

Squeaky: I will be looking that book up ASAP, never too old for a new angle.

this site explains the different contraptions along with some other neat stuff, however I don't agree with all of it.

www.sustainabledressage.com/tack/gadgets.php

Part of the problem could be that most people tend to take hold of the horse, slowing him down while trying to force his head up rather than encouraging him to move on into the bit. It can feel pretty loosey goosey when a horse moves out before he has developed his balance and he is moving on his forehand which is most natural to him, that can be a bit scarey to a novice. You do need to encourage him to move on while giving him support, without allowing him to hang on your hands, until he relaxes and starts to realize where his head should be to allow him to balance properly. Sliding side reins can be a big help if you aren't exactly sure what to do with your hands. I like to do HUGE ovals or really big circles and loopy changes of direction while working on balance. I avoid any tight turns which can scare him when he is off balance which will make his head come up and his back hollow - no relaxation. Your horse needs to be able to get his head down at first to be comfortable so he can relax. Keep working and his head will come up with the realization of balance and strength gained from pushing the weight of the cart with his back end rather than lugging it with his front end.

Latest posts

Back