Driving Pairs--how many do this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairytailGlennMinis

Reaction score
I am looking at having my younger silver bay mare trained to drive this year since she is 5 now and finally ready to settle into work I believe. After driving her for a year or so I would really like to pair her up with my mare Rainy who I got driving a couple of years ago. I was wondering how many of you out there drive a pair and what type of vehicle you use. I am looking at the possibility of an easy entry cart with wood wheels and a team pole to start with until I can afford the wagonette that I want. Do any of you use this type of cart or have you seen this? Would you be willing to share pictures? My main goal is to eventually CDE with this pair but that is a long way off.

Thanks so much!

-Amy

Being from the Belgian Draft Horse world, yes i have a team of Miniature mares that i drive. Hubby made me a wagon for them and i have a sleigh. Also have 3 others that i drive single. My Mini team was in a parade, 4 teams behind the Budweiser 8 horse hitch a few weeks ago. That was a blast!

PocketPoniesVA said:
I am looking at having my younger silver bay mare trained to drive this year since she is 5 now and finally ready to settle into work I believe. After driving her for a year or so I would really like to pair her up with my mare Rainy who I got driving a couple of years ago. I was wondering how many of you out there drive a pair and what type of vehicle you use. I am looking at the possibility of an easy entry cart with wood wheels and a team pole to start with until I can afford the wagonette that I want. Do any of you use this type of cart or have you seen this? Would you be willing to share pictures? My main goal is to eventually CDE with this pair but that is a long way off.
Hi Amy! Nice to hear from you again.
default_smile.png
I don't drive pairs myself as I just have the one mini but I've gone to a lot of clinics on multiples and helped hitch the teams that drive my local CDE's. My understanding is that you won't be able to use a two-wheeled vehicle with a pair at CDE's as it is against ADS rules. I think Margo can tell you a lot more about the vehicle types that are allowed and the advantages/disadvantages of each, I'm afraid I can't really claim to know about that except quips heard in passing. I can tell you about pairs harness but not pair vehicles! LOL

What I do know is the reason two-wheeled vehicles with team poles are not allowed. With teams the weight of the pole rests on the breastcollar or neck collar rather than on a padded saddle and it is very, very hard to balance a cart whose shafts have been removed. When you get in, when you get out, you are going to place a lot of weight on their necks for at least a minute. With a four-wheeled vehicle they will never feel more than the weight of the pole itself but they may get a whole lot more with a two-wheeler, quite often while driving and trying to do their dressage work. Marathon is even worse. I'm finding my thoughts foggy with exhaustion here but I know there are basically a lot of concerns about balance with a team pole and it is certainly an odd sensation to have two powerful little horses hitched to what basically feels like a tin can.

For pictures of the type of wooden-wheeled vehicle you're thinking of I only have one reference. It is, however, a very good reference! LOL. Wanda is our local pair driver and gets a lot of pictures of her horses. She also makes a great website.

Too Mini Ranch, Wanda Lusk

Be sure to go to the homepage and view the rest of the site, it's fun reading. There is another local driver who uses a Frontier easy entry with a team pole and that's the one I've gotten to drive. She recently bought a four-wheeled cart and she's the one who told me it was because pairs were not allowed to compete with a two-wheeler. She's only had the team out together at clinics and the unsanctioned fall driving trial until now for that reason.

Leia

I just read the whole site- what a sense of humour!!

I would never drive a pair to a single axle- just not balanced right, I'm afraid.

You can get away with it with a seasoned team but I do not believe you could train them correctly.

Also of course you do not need to go for full collar if you use a double wheel vehicle, and I personally preferr Minis in breast collars.

It is so difficult to correctly fit a full collar harness, for a start.

Yo can get an add on that turns a single axle into a double and I cannot remember where to get it, perhaps someone else will be able to??

Some good friends of mine who run the top (well, one of the top!!) Marathon and team stables in the country had to train some ponies for a TV documentary on Boadicea and they found out just how hard it is to correctly balance a chariot and team!! Fell out a few times, as well, and those were just about the most experienced ponies you could get.

Mind you I do have to admit that you probably did not have galloping flat out across a moor in an authentic replica of an Iceni war chariot wearing only a loin cloth and painted bright blue, in mind!!

Hello! I have 2 pairs that I drive. I got addicted to team driving about 2 years ago, I just love it, I'm sure you will too. I am lucky to have several different driving vehicles, my favorite for working my teams is my Fore Cart (hopfully pictured first) I also just purchased a hitch wagon but my favorite is my carraige! my husband surprised me with it this spring, he happened to be at an auction at there it was. I have been in several parades with it this year and always hear the OOOS and AHHHS. Good luck with your girls!!!

forecart4.jpg

parade12.jpg

Your first picture illustrates perfectly why I would not be happy actually teaching a pair to drive in a two wheel cart.

Do you see how low the pole has to be in order to balance the cart??

On the four wheel you can, again see the pole and how much higher it is.

If you were training a team on the two wheel the low pole could be a real hazard (although I accept it is not in this case- you can see the team are very happy and relaxed)

Could you show bigger pictures of the full collars- are they "soft" collars or mini version of big ones??

I just love the parade hitch- I can see why you get so many comments.

Wow--ya know, I had never even thought about how the balance issue would affect things with a pair. I think about it and adjust my seat for which single I drive, but have never even gotten to the point of thinking balance for a pair. The pair part is a good ways off since the second mare isn't driving yet, but I am trying to think ahead. I have been talking to a lady with draft horses and hope to go take some lessons with a pair very soon to get me started. For pleasure shows I can just see my girls all hooked to a stylish little midnight blue tea wagon or wagonette with gold pinstriping..sigh.
default_wub.png
: Hey--a girl can dream! Can you tell I have been drooling over the Kateland website?

Bealsbarnyard I LOVE your four wheel hitch!

-Amy

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree 100% The Fore Cart is not for breaking a New team. My boys have a lot of miles under them and are very calm and relaxed working together. The Fore cart is very easy to manuver and I like it when I hit the trails (nice flat ones) The collars I use are a mini version of the big ones, when working around the farm especially using the fore cart I use pads. The black team in my first post had such heavy winter coats that the pads made the collars to tight so they were not used that day. When using collars you must make sure that they fit correctly or you could hurt your horses. Here is a closer picture of the red team (Fred & Ted) all dressed up for a parade.

Pals.jpg

I don't drive a pair YET -- and will watch this thread closely for all the responses you get.

Great QUESTION!!!

Thanks for asking it.

JJay

Beale's- that team is just SPIFFY!!!

And I love the look on their faces, they are up to something, I have no doubt.

Thanks for the explanation- the deep coats explain why the collars look flat- I can see plainly in that brilliant picture.

Many thanks for that.

Thank you Amy and Jane on the nice comments about my team. I just love these guys and as you can see in the last picture they are real HAMS!!! Fred even looks like he is saying CHEESE! :bgrin They just love working and seem to really like getting all dressed up. They are just an AWESOME pair! and have huge hearts, I am blessed to have them.

Kathy

Well, shucks! I posted on this thread yesteday,but it appears my post went off into the ozone?(and come to think of it, I believe another reply I made on another thread in the past couple of days isn't there, either....??)

Trying again--I have a couple of pairs I can drive, though I most often drive bay geldings(one is the horse in my avatar). My first pair vehicle was a custom-made-for-me English back-to-back trap(so described by its maker, the late Jack Stewart, of Golden, CO.-it is a VERY handsome vehicle, but I will likely sell it, as I simply never drive it anymore.) Then I got an oak buckboard-it is lots of fun! Most recently, I ordered and got a Glinkowski(from Poland) "Mini Mix" marathon vehicle,to have something to drive ANYWHERE I wish to be able to go, tough and suitable for other than smooth and level! Haven't even gotten to drive it yet-about the time it came, first one, then the other, of my bay pair had health issues and weren't up to being driven... and then 'life', and weed spraying, and mowing, and dirt/gravel moving/spreading, and training an outside horse, and giving lessons, and...., and...., and....!!-have 'gotten in the way'-but I am DETERMINED to get them hooked SOON! I must, as I am signed up with the pair for a lesson with nationally-renowned multiples driver/ADS judge Hardy Zantke, who will be here to give a clinic in late October- and I am looking forward to the opportunity to learn from him!

The only type(s) of two-wheeled vehicle that are considered OK to seriously drive a pair to are either a Curricle or a Cape Cart(named for its origin in South Africa). Both require a very specific and uncommon type of harness and harness set-up-one which, as I understand it, includes a kind of "yoke" that rests up on TOP of the horses, to help support the weight of the pole. When properly configured, the Cape Cart is said to have been(they are not much in use nowadays, apparently?)a very fast and maneuverable vehicle, even over rough terrain. From what I have learned, either kind of vehicle,and the proper harness for same, is hard if not near impossible to find, at least in North America.

It is true that having the horses support the weight of the vehicle and its occupant(s) on the top of their necks, basically, by using a 'standard' pole with a two-wheeler, can be hard on the horses-not to even mention the low position of the pole, and subsequent risk of getting a leg over it! A four wheeled vehicle supports its own weight; the horses bear only the weight of the pole, even with a drop pole-with a sprung pole, even that weight is minimized, for the horses. The balance of a two wheeler is entirely different, and it would be much harder to minimize the weight on the horses by where the driver/any passengers sit-even with their weight well back, there would still be significant weight on the pole, and therefore, on the tops of the horse's necks, with just a 'standard' pair harness set-up. I found the pole one can get for a Frontier(and other brands offer them, too) EE pipe cart, to be useful to train my pair, but would not use it for an 'everyday' vehicle, nor would it be suitable for a CDE, even if it were allowed(and it wouldn't be, as the ADS rules state that for pairs, a 4 wheeled vehicle must be used.) In CDEs, a groom/navigator is a requirement, too, if driving a pair or tandem(means you have to have a competent and agile helper, basically!) This is one of the reasons why I will likely never do an 'official' CDE, at least not with the pair--I have no one to do this for me.

Margo

hey,

this is where i keep my horses..they do a lot of pair 4 in hands lots of suff like that!!! and there really good at it!!! they drive ADS...here is there web site!!

Kateland farms

Wow Kathy, that's some turnout!
default_wub.png
: :aktion033: Thanks for being brave enough to post your pictures so we could admire them. I LOVE your "red team." They are so awesome! You can see their heart and willingness as well as their sense of humor. Just my kind of horse!

Dancer, you are so lucky to train at Kateland! They are one of the best.

Leia

Kathy ~ all I can say is BEAUTIFUL and Fred hamming it up for the camera really made me smile. And the plumes are a nice touch.

Amy ~ thanks for starting this thread...this aspect of driving has really peaked my interest. Can't wait to go to Tryon next week !!

Last edited by a moderator:
:aktion033: Fred & Ted :aktion033:

Yep, attitude and humor show well :lol: They are both beauties! The rig is wonderful. Congratulations on such a great turn out. Heck, that picture of the boys would sure make me a buyer--what a team!

I'd love to drive a pair and have 3 "pairs" who are beautifully matched, to choose from.....just none are trained :lol: :lol: It is really quite an expense to even own the rigs/harness for them (especially the fancy stuff!) and it is also quite an ordeal to transport all those items to a show, parade, event, etc. I applaud those who do this. It is a huge effort for a turnout. Most people just do not realize how MUCH effort it was for them to see the few minutes of exhibition.

Latest posts

Back