Driving...light, medium, heavy work and feed questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajonat

Reaction score
So, I'm from the dressage world which means big horses. I'm completely comfortable is assessing their work load and how to feed. But mini's...new world.

I'll mostly be out of commission this summer due to some back surgery, but my husband is planning on driving Orion. How much will remain to be seen, but if all goes well, we hope to have him in a CDE in August.

We have a feed program for "couch-carrot" lifestyle that keeps him at a good weight, but I'm wading into new territory with increasing his work. I notice that Purina has a new feed for miniature horses...has anyone used it?

What is your feed program like when your guys are in work?? Do you use "big horse feed" per mini's weight? Increase hay only? What is light, medium and heavy workout for a mini?? Hubby is about 180lbs...FYI.

I'll be having this chat with my vet too, but would love your input as well!

Thanks
default_yes.gif

...forgot to add...he is the one in my profile pic and is 36" tall.

Personally, getting info from your vet and/or your feed store is going to be best. They will knwo what will work best in your area - based on local pasture growth, hay growers and feed (s) available.

While I've seen the Mini Horse/pony feed - I remember questioning a few things (can't remember what?) when I read thru the info on it. Then, I've seen more posts from folks who didn't like it (especially ones w/ mares/foals) that I decided to stay with the feed that we currently use. I feed Nutrena Safe Choice, beet pulp and wet (w/ some - soupy!) and they have free choice mineral blocks. I want to say that I feed it based on what they look like. A lot of our ponies get 1 lb 2x daily. Others get more or less - I also check them fairly regularly to make sure they are getting enough.

Our horses and ponies are on "pasture" - with growing numbers and the drought - more like big, big dry lots, LOL. Free choice hay - Coastal/Bermuda - round bales. Sometimes, usually in April, I can get oat hay - LOVE IT. Cut feed way back and on some out all together when I can get oat hay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend talking to the nutritionist of the feed you use. If you are training for a full CDE, you will need to change his amount of feed, as his training times go up. My CDE ponies are on almost twice as much feed during the show season as they are on during the winter, increasing both hay and grain. It is a lot like your dressage horses in that recommended feeding is usually between 1 and 2% of their body weight (@1% for pasture puff to @2% for heavy work). Also, changing the quality of hay will make a big difference.

My VSE (His ideal weight is 300lbs and is a reasonably easy keeper) gets 6lbs of high quality grass hay and his ration balancer everyday during peek show season. He would be training 4-5 days a week, 2-3 days dressage and 2 days marathon conditioning and most works are a full 1 - 1.5 hours. During his off months, he is on a hay that is not top quality and his ration balancer is cut almost in half. Always remember that every horse and pony is different and you will need to watch them as an individual and always do increases and decreases in feed slowly.

Ok, that helps. I think I may be worrying at bit too much - it really doesn't sound very much different than keeping a big horse in training/showing weight.

I have an excellent feed lady and she's looking into the Purina mini feed, but sounds like I needn't worry about that particular feed too much. I'm not sure we have it in Canada anyways, from what limited internet search I've done.

Once again - thanks!

Hi Cajonat - I just sent you a private msg
default_wink.png

Last time I checked, the Purina one wasn't available up here and from what I've heard, it doesn't sound particularly suitable.

Like big horses, feeding can really depend on what body type your mini is (lean & mean, a little 'fluffy', or hefty) as well as their temperament (busy-body, worrier, couch potato, etc).

Biggest thing I've learned (mostly from those that condition for the breed shows) is that you'll get a much better condition if you add a bit of concentrate or protein. The protein seems to help keep them from being hungry all the time too (just like in people) so they won't pig out on hay/grass.

My guy is naturally built like a tank so even with regular work seems like I'm constantly battling the bulge. Wasn't until I added a quality complete feed (top dressed with some flax & tiny bit of coconut oil to regulate his thyroid) to his strictly grass hay diet that he finally started to look worthy of the miles he was being driven!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Got your PM...and sent you an e-mail! thanks for your response
default_smile.png

Back