Driving fly protection

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nassaunellie

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a Mini fly mask or bug netting that would fit over a driving bridle? I love to drive in the woods and the bugs are just aweful. I use lots of bug spray but they manage to drive the horse to distraction. Any helpful hints from those who like to drive off the beaten path would be greatly appreciated.

My sister-in-law bought a Cashel fly mask with ears (here's the one) in a small pony size, I think, and she puts it on over her 34" mini's driving bridle. It fits well over blinkers and everything, and she can snug it enough so no bugs get in around the edges. It's a nice soft material, and not too bulky. Her mini does have a fairly wide head; the pony size might be too big for finer-boned minis, but it is very adjustable...

Oh, and she made the ears smaller so they weren't so floppy.

Myself, I usually just put fly spray or roll-on bug repellent (Swat or Farnam's Roll On) on their faces and ears, but if it gets really bad I have little cotton ear covers I got at the tack store. But they do look pretty silly (I'm not handy with the sewing machine, so the ears are really big and floppy)...

Hope this helps! It's so nice to get out and drive the back roads this time of year, if you can outsmart the bugs!

I looked and the smallest I can find is the yearling size. If that is what she uses and it fits over the driving headgear that would be great! Can you find out for sure? Thank you

My sister-in-law bought a Cashel fly mask with ears (here's the one) in a small pony size, I think, and she puts it on over her 34" mini's driving bridle. It fits well over blinkers and everything, and she can snug it enough so no bugs get in around the edges. It's a nice soft material, and not too bulky. Her mini does have a fairly wide head; the pony size might be too big for finer-boned minis, but it is very adjustable...
Oh, and she made the ears smaller so they weren't so floppy.

Myself, I usually just put fly spray or roll-on bug repellent (Swat or Farnam's Roll On) on their faces and ears, but if it gets really bad I have little cotton ear covers I got at the tack store. But they do look pretty silly (I'm not handy with the sewing machine, so the ears are really big and floppy)...

Hope this helps! It's so nice to get out and drive the back roads this time of year, if you can outsmart the bugs!
I have the Cashel mask you mentioned above for our Quarter Horse. I think I will give it a try. I thought I would ask because you never know what may be out there.

I buy my fly masks from Double Diamond Tack it's the:

GT-030 - D-Tech Lycra Fly Mask MINIATURE HORSE

Browse by Category: Fly Protection

D-Tech Lycra Fly Mask

Regular Price: $ 19.45 / Each

Sale Price: $ 9.00 / Each

I'm not sure if it will fit over a bridle with blinders cause I use mine under my open bridle but it's very stretchy so it could possibly fit.

Latest posts

Back