Donkey genetics question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beccy

Reaction score
I am not at all familiar with colour and pattern genetics in donkeys, and I am wondering if theirs are the same/similar to horses? Our mini Jack is spotted, and appears to be a "frame" pattern. Can donkeys carry the same patterns as pinto horses, and if so, since he will be used for breeding mini mules, do the same cautions apply regarding breeding him to a mare that may carry the LWO gene?

Thanks.

Donkeys seem to carry alot of the same coat color genes as the horses do, but pinto and paint is both reserved for horses only. In donkeys its called spotted, and spotting is dominent to non-spotted and as far as I know--homozygotes are non-existant. When you breed a spotted to a spotted you can still get non-spotted foals, about 1/3 of the time, but yet if you breed non-spotted to spotted you will get spotted foals about 1/2 of the time :bgrin Jacks with a blaze will breed like a spotted jack. This is why I keep saying I think with donkey color genetics--it flies right out the window :bgrin You can order a breeders packey of color, wich has color pictures, color explainations, and explainations of genetics like hetrozygous vs. homozygous. I think the cost is still $7.00, (you would have to check) and it can be ordered thru ADMS. Corinne

Thank you Corinne,

we are not concerned what colour or pattern of mini mules we get, we only want a couple for us (my hubby has wanted a team for ages), and we will love them whatever we get!
default_smile.png
However when I looked at his pattern I wondered about LWO, as he looks like a wild frame pattern. I have a whole new area to start learning about now, LOL, I only just started feeling like I have a bit of a grasp on horse colour and pattern genetics!!
default_smile.png

Oh yes Beccy! Pics :new_shocked: Please!

& how big is your Jack...I don't see him on your website.

Sandy

[SIZE=12pt]Yes, :aktion033: we love pictures!! Can't wait to see your babies!! Shannon :bgrin [/SIZE]

& how big is your Jack...I don't see him on your website.
Remedied!
default_smile.png

Pablo is 33.00", and is a sweetheart. The first morning he went out with the colts was hilarious. The seller kept him with minis as soon as she knew he was coming here, so he knew he was supposed to be with them, but they did not know what he was. After a couple of hours they would let him stand close and nibble at the same pile of hay, but when he brayed, they all panicked and ran. He panicked because they were panicking and ran along behind them. They were running to get away from him, and he was right behind them thinking whatever had scared them might get him too. They got over it in a hurry but it sure made us laugh :lol: He is such a sweet boy, he calls to us as soon as we step out of the house in the mornings!

This is Macviews Pablo
default_smile.png

Macviews_Pablo.jpg

Pablo is really cute
default_wub.png
: My Jenny's have only had one spotted Jack.

The story of the braying and running is so funny
default_yes.gif
:

They have a new loud mouth friend they'll have to get use too
default_wink.png
:

Thanks, they sure do wind up and make a loud noise don't they? We had a friend's mini donkey here for some time a few years ago, and one morning at about 6am we had a phonecall from a neighbour aways down the road wondering if we had a dog in distress...they had heard Brynn bray

We are hoping for spotted mules, but we like solids too, so either way, we will be happy with whatever we get
default_smile.png

Pablo is a handsome boy!!! I bet he will make very handsome mules!!! My Levi says a big Hee Haw to Pablo!!

Vicki

HI, HE IS SOO HANDSOM! THANKS FOR THE PICTURE! I AM A BIG FAN OF PHOTOS! I LOVED THE STORY TO :bgrin , NIKKI

[SIZE=12pt]He is adorable...
default_wub.png
: I just want to give him a big squeeze! That is too funny about the horses. Now Pablo needs another loud mouth friend to hee haw with...lol Thanks for sharing the story and the picture.
default_yes.gif
: Shannon :bgrin
[/SIZE]

Thanks guys, and yes mini lover, I think I see another donkey in our future somewhere down the road. Once we have Randy's team of mules, the plan is to geld Pablo and get a second donkey for company. (or perhaps get a Jennet and have one donkey foal before he is gelded!)
default_yes.gif
:

[SIZE=12pt]I know he is going to make beautiful babies, so I would get him a jennet if he were mine. :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
: I've got a bad case of baby fever right now if you can't tell...LOL! Shannon :bgrin
[/SIZE]

The first morning he went out with the colts was hilarious. The seller kept him with minis as soon as she knew he was coming here, so he knew he was supposed to be with them, but they did not know what he was. After a couple of hours they would let him stand close and nibble at the same pile of hay, but when he brayed, they all panicked and ran. He panicked because they were panicking and ran along behind them. They were running to get away from him, and he was right behind them thinking whatever had scared them might get him too. They got over it in a hurry but it sure made us laugh :lol: He is such a sweet boy, he calls to us as soon as we step out of the house in the mornings!
OMG :new_rofl: :new_rofl: :new_rofl: i wish i could have seen that... i can just imagine. you were much luckier than we were, we already had both horses and donks together and brought in a new horse that had never seen a donkey i guess... she ATTACKED them. poor jennets were so shocked :new_shocked: and one even got a bloody nose before we could get hold of the mare. well we backed off some on the intros, let them get to know each other a little longer through the fence (our usual time just didn't work this time!) and now the mare is fine, got new donks and still fine, and she is even bred to our Trooper now and expecting a mule baby in the spring. that's one video you could have won with on American's Funniest Home Videos... (do they even still have that show??? we haven't watched TV in almost 5 years now...)

Back