Dogs with Seizures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minie812

Reaction score
Chasey dog is our Aussie and developed seizures about a year ago. He is now three. He is on phenobarbital and valium. It is not working good and he had a really bad one yesterday. Anybody has a dog with seizures what are they on? My vet is old fashion and thinks he should be put down but I want to give him a chance. Any new meds on the market? HElp would be greatly apprieciated as he is my constant companion around the farm and my buddy.
default_no.gif

Although I am not a vet I have had a dog that had fluid on the brain and was on Dexamethasone. There are different causes for seizures and if your vet has not done tests to determine the causes I would take this baby to another vet for another opinion.

Good luck and don't give up.

Judy

Bridgette, my Aussie, had her first seizure when she was about 3 years old. It was about 6 months after I moved, she had one about 11PM, I called the vet and he talked me through it. He told me sometimes they just have them, for no apparent reason and if they aren't too frequent then just deal with them, if they come too often then she could go on drugs. Bridgette had occassional seizures for 4 years (like once or twice a month, at the most), I did not put her on drugs as hers were pretty mild. Then after I got married and moved to the country, 5 years ago, they seemed to decrease; she had a few the first couple years, and now she has only had one that I've seen in about two years. I know this isn't exactly what you wanted to hear, but it is my experience with seizures. I didn't have any testing done on Bridgette, as hers were very mild and in just a minute or two she was back to her old self like nothing had happened. [While the seizure is happening it seems like forever, but hers are very short duration and mild. If they had become more frequent or serious, then I would have had testing done and whatever she needed. She is now 12 years old, as of Jan 17 and she is doing quite well.]

Our yellow lab has seizures due to heat. If she gets overheated when working or playing hard, she will have one. She is not on medicines at this time. However, there are some good medications out there for different types of seizures. I agree that tests should be run to see what are causing these. Be sure to do research on the medications recommended, as there are some medicines, that in my opinion have such bad to severe side effects, you need to weigh the good to the bad

I wish you the best.

thx guys...I have a mini greyhound that when she overheats that is what happens to her too but when my Aussie started having them I thought the same thing. He is so hyper at times and gets excited so I asked the vet that and got a shrug from him. I have decided to get ahold of KU vet school and see what they recommend cause I do not give up that easy on animals and I may be banging my head against the wall
default_frusty.gif
but he is worth it to me and I am hoping a long life!

We had an english bulldog that had severe seizures. He was on phenobarbital and potassium bromide. We tried just about everything but we lost him at the age of 4.
default_no.gif
Praying that you can find a solution that works for you.

My lab had seizures starting about the age of two, they were petite-mal and not extreme at all, happening maybe once to twice a week that we saw..you could actually call him out of them somewhat as well. He too was on phenabarbatol. He never lost control of bowels, fell over, etc...they always happened when he was already in a resting state, laying down already...he had them for about 4 years and then they just stopped...we weened him off the meds and he's never had one since.

A seizure is just a symptom of a problem...(like you get a fever, but could be from so many different things, the flu, infection, etc)...most of the time (in my dogs case and many I'm sure)...the cause of the seizure is never really known...could be so many things to food allergies, a trauma at one time, etc...or it could be epilepsy.

We were very lucky as Brutus' were very slight and they just stopped one day, we hadn't made any changes in diet or anything. Vet said he grew out of it... I wish you the best of luck...((hugs)). It's very difficult to watch, even when they are petite-mal.

There is no injury to the head that I know of (maybe he got kicked and we did not know?) and they went from peti mal to grand mal. This was the worst one. I can see it in his eyes they get very dark he will start to whine and his head always turns to his left then he flips over on his side and starts seizing and he looses control of his bowels and pee's too. He gets up and then paces in circles for about 30 mins with his head down. he walked right in to my legs and backed up and started pacing again...clueless as to even seeing me. I was afraid to say anything that could trigger it again. He finally laid down and I was able to shove a valium down him. I stayed with him till he started snoring...poor Chasey. He wakes up about an hour later and same old happy-go-lucky dog...he-e-e-s ba-c-k!

He is so hyper at times and gets excited so I asked the vet that and got a shrug from him.
I kind of wonder with my Aussie, if hers weren't stress or excitement related. Its been so long since she's had one, that I can't remember the circumstances surrounding the days she would have them, but I did wonder. Since, we've been here on the ranch and she's gotten older, she's mellowed and doesn't seem to worry about as many things as she did in town.

Latest posts

Back