Dog with seizures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The vet euthanized her this morning....I stayed up with her all night, layed on the floor with her. I didn't want to put her on the bed as I feared she would convulse and roll off and get hurt, I stayed up all night with her on the floor and she slept in her bed with her favorite toys and blanket covering her. She had about 12 seizures, then near 6am this morning her eyes started to spasm severely and she could not stand or walk and she was not "with us", you could tell she was far away. Went to the vet first thing this morning, actually beat him to office, and after he checked her and ruled out some things he felt it was best to euthanize, I trust my vet fully.

I knew in my heart as well that is what it would come to....I could never wish this upon anyone for any reason.

Oh no, im so sorry
default_sad.png

Oh, Leeana!!! I'm so sorry! I can't say how much. I'm in tears for you. I know how special she was. I was afraid to tell you, but Winston had seizures the morning he passed away and I kept thinking of that and you two last night. I'm so much more sorry than words can say.

You are a great dog mom. My heart goes out to you. Take care, thinking of you. If my little girl doesn't improve soon, I know I will be facing the same decision as you, I know how hard it must have been for you, glad you got to your vet... Peace of mind knowing you have done the right thing. hugs. Adair

I'm so very sorry, Leena. We went through very much the same with our golden retriever, Randy, a couple of months ago.

With Randy, he'd had both a low thyroid and then began having seizures. We had him on both thyroid meds and pheno. Larry did some research and discovered that the two can often go hand in hand.

Just want to pass this info on about the thyroid and sezure combination..........Randy's vet poo poo-ed it and had lowered Randy's thyroid med. In less than 2 weeks Randy was having gand mals back to back in one day and the vet told us we'd have to wait to schedule him in for the next day. Randy went into a coma because his brain just couldn't handle it so we called our mobile horse vet who euthanized him as he lay on our livingroom rug.

Leena, my heart goes out to you..... I know the heartbreak.

OMG Leeana I'm so sorry.... My heart hurts for you.... I'm truely sorry

I had a chihuahua that had seizures. It got so bad he had to be put on medication because of them. Everythime he had them it scared me to death.

Leeana, I am so sorry. It sounds like a similar situation to when we lost our little Longcoat Chihuahua girls to seizures. She died on the way to the vet after several hours of seizures. (I had been in phone contact with vet several times that day before bringing her in) He felt that it may have been some type of brain aneurism or something similar. It's so sad, and we feel so helpless when these things happen to our dear little ones.

My heart goes out to you. I am writing this with tears in my eyes. This brings back painful memories with our schnauzer Pepper. The last night Pepper was with us I spent the entire night up with her. The seizures , at this point, had rendered her incoherent and blind I am sure of it. She would walk like a drunken soldier, just an expression. I brought her in very very early the next a.m and the vet gave me hope when she said to me they would put her immediately on I.v. And said Danielle, I Am optimistic.... Pepper spent the day and night at the vet's while they tried everything they could think of. I was sitting at my desk at work the next day when I got the call. The vet told me Pepper could no longer stand and did not recognize anyone.... I basically lost it at this point and started yelling...Please put her down NOW! I can't stand to see an animal suffer. Thank you for thinking of her before your pain. You did the right thing for yor sweetheart. bIG hug to you my dear.

Leeanna, I'm just now reading this, having had no internet access for a few days. I am so sorry to read about your sweet Sassy. My heart aches knowing all too well what you are going through, but you are a GREAT dog mom and Sassy was such a lucky girl. I picture her across the rainbow bridge, telling all her new pals about the great human for whom she's saving a place.

Take care,

susanne

I have been having such a hard time dealing with this, She was the most consistant thing on my life...she was everywhere. When I took a shower, she laid outside the shower and waited on me. When I slept, she was between my knee's with her head on my leg. When I was on the computer, she laid on my feet. When dad would eat, she would beg (she was spoiled, and he did kind of egg her on in a good fun way.....she had him wrapped around her paw), When I would lay down and watch tv or a movie, she would lay on the pillow with me with my arm around here. I can't hear here toe nails on the hard wood floor, and I can't hear her collar jingle. This is the hardest thing I have ever went through in my life, but I am finding a couple moments peace here and there......I can smile at the memories. I did attend Church today, and that helped.

I want to be sure and remember Sass every day for forever, and remember what she did for me and what I did for her and how she made me feel every day she was with me. So, I will carry her collar and tags on my purse and with me everywhere. This is helping, very much actually. It makes me feel like she is still with me and I can hold and kiss her collar, it helps, it really does. It was the only thing left that we did not put in her grave with her (we put her bed, toys, treats, leash ext).

545589_3185252305225_1083294008_32588067_479757037_n.jpg

I am so sorry for your loss.I know how difficult it is.I lost 1 of my corgis several years ago to mouth cancer.I had 3 of them, but she was my velcro dog-always near me and especially when I was on the computer.The memories we have of our critters are special to us and only you can feel the bond you shared with your buddy.I read somewhere that grief is the price we pay for love.Hang in there.some day when you are ready you will give a piece of your heart to another creature who needs the great amount of love you have to share.Sometimes when we least expect it another critter comes into your life.Rest in peace little one and know that you were so loved and are so missed.

I'm sorry Leanna. I hate that your heart has been broken. I know how hard this is. Hugs.

I'm so sorry. I lost my Forrest in December. He was my heart-dog and I still miss him so much.

Godspeed, Sassy....

I also kept peppers tags and collar. I purchased a grey schnauzer porcelain statue and put the collar and tags on it. A wonderful reminder of her too short life. Sassy IS still with you, her spirit will always be around you . Nobody or nothing will ever take that away from you.

I was reading your comment on another thread about deciding against the Min Pin due to the age of your parents.I do understand that decision.However, as a long time breeder of other breeds I would be very reluctant to get a full sibling to the one I lost to such severe seizures.Many times certain lines and breeds of dogs are predisposed(not sure if this is the correct term)to having the same issues.If I were going to get another of the same breed I think I might really consider looking elsewhere in hopes that I would not have to go through the same terrible situation again.I would definitely ask lots of questions and hope I got some honest answers from the breeder.Many times people who show their dogs are very adamant about genetic testing for certain problems.They often have pups that did not quite measure up to show standards, but make marvelous pets. whatever decision you make I am sure yoru new fur kid will have a marvelous home with so many people to love him or her.

Bevann, when we got Sassy 5, would be 6 years ago this July, my sister purchased two boys from that same litter too. She also have a couple babies that are out of those boys, she had a litter of "accident" puppies and kept them all. They are her children, since she cannot have children, and she is worried that they await the same fate that Sass did.

So yes Bevann, that is a worry of mine, and its in the back of my mind. My vet said that he doesn't really feel brain tumors are something strongly related to Genetics, which is the only reason I am considering anything related to Sassy...believe me I do not want to go through this agian....

I've not yet got my heart set in stone on anything, its just an option on the table that is toward the top of our list right now..

Thank you
default_smile.png

Back