Dog Showing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indian*R*A*I*N*Dance

Reaction score
I recently got a chocolate lab puppy after we put down my other lab and want to show her. I dont know anything about showing dogs! She will be registered akc when my mom sends in the papers and we just want to show her in a few local shows, nothing big...unless we do welll.... ; )

All I know is that she is a sporting dog, 17 weeks old, i want to show her in conformation, and im 16. Im taking grooming & kennel in school (idk why since i am an equine major, but anyway, i know how to groom her etc) What are the classes that i can show her in? and how does the whole dog showing thing work?

thanks =]

I can't help you with much but I showed my lab in Rally Obedience when I was just 11, and he was less than one. We got first in our class, and he was a blast to train. Labs are great dogs but make sure yours has what it takes to be in the conformation classes, those classes can get tough with such a popular breed. We didn't show our guy in them because he broke his tail as a pup and it's permanently bent, but we still had a BLAST doing Rally-O!

Have fun with your new puppy!

Rebecca

my advise would be to get a reputable show breeder ( or pro handler) to evaluate her for conformation.

You also might want to just go to a couple of shows and watch.

did you buy her from a show breeder? If so they should be willing to help you get started. AKC papers do not guarantee show quality they only mean both parents were registered.

Now you can always show in performance classes like agility, obedience and rally. Labs can also compete in hunting trials and test.

Dogs must be 6 months old before they can compete.

thanks becca!

Im not going to get really into it, just something other to show in besides horses so i dont really mind if she doesnt do well in conformation. hhaa

Yes, i did buy her from a show breeder. and i do understand that it doesnt mean she is show quality, i just want to do it for fun.

Thanks so much!

The sky is the limit if you socialize and train your dog. The more you do, the better your dog will be, no matter what you choose. Dogs can learn so many words, gestures, body language, they are experts on us and even a puppy can learn all the basic commands from the start if you are consistant. Find a NADOI endorced trainer for obedience in your area if you can. If you can't find a NADOI instructor, be sure your chosen trainer does motivational dog training. Obedience, Rally, agility are among the many things you can do... Don't forget TRACKING! Search and rescue, Labs excel in it and it is fun watching your dog use the nose to work.

Conformation should be left to the dogs that are truly an awesome representative of the breed and a good lab breeder can help you with that evaluation, although not impossible, showing your own dog in breed is more difficult to do if you are a novice at it, grooming, presentation etc, again, classes will help if conformation is more your style.

I enjoy the performance aspect of dog training because it makes a totally cool dog to live with and they are happy and sane because of the interaction and socialization. A cool show on TV to watch for ideas is "Its me or the dog" training by Victoria Stillwell, tape it and watch it if you can. She is cutting edge in dog training on manners and housetraining etc.. By pass the Cesar Milan dog whisperer show, he takes dog trainers back 40 years in training. The only thing I agree with that he says is exercise and don't spoil the dog. The force and flooding training he does is too stressful and is "show boat technique" in dog training and doesn't have a place in reality for most owners and their dogs.

My favorites are Rally, obedience, and tracking! Most importantly , enjoy your puppy and best wishes. The AKC website has quite a bit of information on some of their sponsored events.
default_rolleyes.gif

Your breeder should be able to help you prepare for the conformation ring as well as evaluate your pup's conformation. Labs are extremely competative and in our area often have some of the biggest entries.

Also check and see if there is a local all breed club that offers handling classes. Many also offer a wide range of performance and puppy classes.

Yes, i did buy her from a show breeder. and i do understand that it doesnt mean she is show quality, i just want to do it for fun.

Latest posts

Back