Dog Sales at Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullockcorner

Reaction score
I have an AKC registered Papillon puppy for sale, and a friend said I should take her to Tulsa with me to sell there. Is that frowned upon? If not, is it generally sucessful? Just asking, as I don't know. Thanks.

My friend brought JRT puppies one year, they all sold. But that was to people she knew by name or reputation.

When we went back to Pinto world there were lots of puppies being sold. In fact my friend brought one home with her.
default_smile.png

Personally, I don't like seeing puppies taken to such events and for many reasons. At shows, people are usually extremely busy and the puppy might not get the care it needs or be handed around for several to take care of. This can be very stressful to a young pup. If a pup hasn't had it's last round of shots, it also shouldn't be away from home. Then there is the fact that someone who purchases it, is probably buying on a whim and hasn't made suitable arrangements at home. Many puppies purchased on whims such as from pet shops, often end up going from home to home.

Responsible breeders most usually don't breed until they have several reliable homes lined up and are also keeping one pup from the litter for themselves. Responsibloe buyers, would probably have done their homework and know a bit about the pedigree of the pup they are considering. They would probably want to see the sire and dam, know what they have accomplished before breeding and know what genetic tests were done on the sire and dam before breeding. Paps should all be tested for vonWillebrands Disease, PRA and patellar luxation, among other problems known in the breed. I think also, selling at a horse show, it would be difficult to check out the possible new home before sale.

If you do decide to take the puppy, make sure it has a quality crate with a bed and bowls for water and feed. This so the puppy can get the needed sleep while there. Also take all paperwork, such as AKC Certificate to sign over, genetic testing on the parents certificates from the appropriate authorities to show new owner, a written pedigree, paperwork showing exactly when the puppy had all it's shots and a feeding schedule and type of feed the puppy is presently getting. A bag of feed should go with the new owners, so that the pup isn't suddenly put on a different type and become ill.

Lizzie

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not want to take a puppy that I bred to be sold at a horse show.I know it is done,but I don't agree.As previously stated buyers can't see the sire and dam and seller can't really check out new owner unless it is someone they know.Sometimes it goes well but is often buying on a whim like going to the window of a pet shop.All puppies are cute, but they do grow up.I would also be concerned about the stress on a pup at the show.

Easy, now, Lizzie. I appreciate your concern for the puppy, and am glad you are not shy about your concern for an animal's welfare. Very commendable. But, I assure you, I have considered all your recommendations. I am not a breeder, but am well aquainted with the Pap breed, and puppies in general. This is my one and only litter, and my bitch had 3 pups - one I'm keeping, one to stud dog owner, and one to sell. She is 9 weeks old, has had all her shots, de-wormed (X3), AKC papers in hand, full bag of her high quality dog food goes with her, etc, etc. She will be well taken care of IF I decide to bring her. I am not asking a lot for her, as my main concern is a good home, and thought I might find one with my favorite kind of horse people.

Thanks to all for your input.

I really didn't mean to come off harshly Bullockcorner, but was just trying to give some info. Actually, even if this is your one and only litter, you are now indeed a breeder. I didn't realise the pup was so young. I imagine then he/she couldn't have had all the shots necessary, before taking out and about. I presume it had a 5-way (combination) at about 6 and 9 weeks. I'll add here, that I am against combination shots for any age dog. Always preferable to give one at a time) The pup will need another round of shots at about 12 and 15 weeks. Probably a 7-way then, if you and your vet decide upon a combination. Just my opinion, but if it were me, I wouldn't take the little one into such a venue, before all shots have been completed. You never know what the pup could pick up at such an event.

What you might do, is take all the necessary paperwork to show possible buyers and some excellent pictures of the pup and a nice for sale sign. If someone shows real interest, then the pup can be picked up and/or delivered, right from your home. You could also request a down payment at the show to show good faith from the purchaser.

Lizzie

Latest posts

Back