Dog grooming costs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wanting to ask for some time, so am happy to see this thread
default_smile.png

I have a Pyr that has very thick fur and it's LONG! Yup I brushed out his under coat but he's still very hot! Even with a fan in the barn where my dogs spend the day time. It's not even full hot yet but it's already 100-109.

I can't afford a dog groomer. Would it be ok to try to clip him all over so he has a coat of about 1" or so long? His hair is 4" long now! I just want my doggie to be more comfortable for summer. (and hopefully not look too silly)
default_smile.png

The 'problem' with leaving "1" or so" is the coat needs to be mat / undercoat free and you need to use the proper blades and hand scissor for a real nice look.. Otherwise your blades get stuck in the fur and it looks choppy - however, if you don't want him as short as a #10 or #7 (standard summer shave blades) you can use a #4 this will go through his coat easier and leave about 1/2-3/4".. It will be slightly choppy though, but a nice medium length for running around the farm.. If you want a real even clip you need to go short. When you shave horses you go against the hair, with dogs you go with the lay of the coat. Remember you run the risk of damaging the coat; it may not grow back as nice. IMO this is rare and little to worry about for a pet.

Added: when you shave his sanitary area (privates) the safest blade to use is a #10 -- the loose skin is less likely to get caught in the blades.. Something to remember when going over area with loose / saggy skin .. The gaps in a #4 are larger so it helps to pull the skin slightly so it's tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Michelle
default_smile.png

I already clipped his underside from chest to privates a month or so ago with a #10. Trying to make him cooler! But he's still SO hot that I wanted to find out about clipping him more. But wanted to leave him some fur.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back